Dying Light 2

Nespresso

I do hope the second half of this redeems itself as still feeling this isn’t a patch on the original. Some absolutely dire questing. 

Spoiler

Defuse the bombs in a tower. Go back to base then told to go back to tower to get bombs. Ffs.

I know the original wasn’t great for quests but at least it had a zombie- ‘the floor is lava’ infested ground level gameplay.

Here you can just sprint around in the day on the floor rather than the bland Parisian aesthetic rooftops. 

At night it’s now a game of avoid the howlers rather than the total fear as the sun set in the first game rather than the now incoming downer of ‘fuck I’ve got a timer on my fun’ mechanic.

It also all feels a bit genteel now humanity is rebuilding on the roofs; keeping bees and growing veg rather than the more apocalyptic world gone to shit in fishbowl of Harran. I much preferred the zombie simulator approach rather than something that feels more akin to a human centric Skyrim. Hell, even the original  intro cinematic was much more graphically creative and we’ve lost the cool John Carpenter style music score too. 

Yeah I'd agree with that - particularly the score. I really miss the Carpenter vibes. This feels more like a full on RPG at times rather than a survival horror game too.

Still enjoying it though. 12 hours already. I haven't mainlined a game like that in ages. 

One thing I will say is that I like the setting. The world design really does have Tony Hawk like lines everywhere to make you zip about like a parkour god and the rooftop settlements are really quite pretty. 

This is the better game for me, mainly because traversal is far superior. Running around is an absolute joy and I like that I can largely do it without being harassed. To be fair, in the first game you were pretty much untouchable on the streets once you’d unlocked the early leapfrog skill. The combat feels broadly similar and I quite like the new modding system, whereby the mods repair your weapons. The quest structure, characters and story are a definite low point, but that’s not why I’m playing it. They weren’t great in the original either, definitely worse here. They’ve tried going full on RPG type quests and it’s neither the game for that, nor is the quality of their storytelling anywhere near good enough to pull off an RPG. My main bugbear is how stingy the stamina is at the start. I’m about 15 hours deep and it still feels like it’s running out too quickly.

I like the night stuff. A lot. In the original,  being out at night was pretty much impossible for 80% of the game. Cool at first that it was this scary thing, but after a couple of desperate chases back home, nighttime became totally redundant because you had to just sleep it away.  Being sent out at night so much in this totally reverses the daytime gameplay. The streets are brutal and it feels dangerous, but you have to be out in it to do the night stuff. I dig it.

Bugs wise still nothing major other than bits of graphical glitches and the getting stuck in bed, which has happened twice now.

Edit - a big complaint I forgot. The lack of wind whistling all around you as you climb up high. That was so immersive in the first game.

Im reserving judgement on this until I am a bit further in. 

There was a sweet spot in the first one where you started being more powerfull , it was fun and a challenge. But it became too easy and started to stale later on.

Im assuming this is going to get a bit more enjoyable as i unlock the skill tree a bit.

But def seconds the other thoughts on the character and story. Oh and the nightime fun timer, quick eat some mushrooms to keep enjoying yourself! 

I am also finding the windmills unreasonjably annoying. "You dont have enough stamina" 

Sure I've missed it along the way, but why is some of the dialogues shaded in orange? Is it because it's essential to progress the discussion whereas the dialogue in white isn't?

52 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I've just found a bow in a military vehicle but the game won't let me use it even though I've crafted ammo. I'm guessing I'm not supposed to have it at this point in the story? I can't see any skill to unlock or way to select ammo.

I've already got the ability to craft arrows (no idea how I picked that up) but no bow. Am only L3.

I'm only at the start thought I was having fun but it's just a chore right now. 

The world is so bland. And the traversal doesn't feel smooth. 

Need to stick with it. I prefer dead island btw. 

7 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Yeah I'm lvl 3 too. I like the description on the bow. It says that it was supposedly used in the Olympics.

Wish I could use the damned thing.

Equip it then push right on the wheel to equip arrows

Windmills and howlers can just fuck off. Also who does a parkour game with worse parkour than Assassin's Creed these days? Honestly? I have so little stamina that I can hardly climb anything and by the time I figure out how to ender a dark zone with inhibitors it's morning again

mmm

grabbed the pc version, and got to nearly 2 hours, its great but with Elden Ring coming I know this will just gather dust and enter the pile of shame. Read somewhere its like 300 hours for a complete run through. So might refund it.

Seems very slow burn and proper grindy. Does it have enough to keep you playing or is it just a stats game after you've seen it all?

I'm supposed to be meeting Sophie for the first time. I go to the bazzar but all that happened was I knocked at the door to no answer. Aiden didn't say anything and I can't get in any door to the place. Is this a bug or did I miss something?

I'm literally at the same spot but it worked for me - sounds like a bug or a timing issue. I knocked on the door and got answered with a cutscene. It was at dusk for me. Do you have the quest tracked? Might be worth quitting out and reloading the checkpoint. Or is there more than one door? The one I used is the one you try to get into at the start of the game.

Anyway, so I'm maybe 5-8 hours in, and enjoying it so far. I love the environment, the parkour is fun and I really like the freedom. Combat is decent although I'm still struggling with incorporating the parkour moves into it. Story-wise yeah its nothing amazing, but aside from the cheesy flashback sequences I've been fine with it, and despite what people are saying I've found the voice acting and script to be good on the whole. Though I simply cannot believe the main character isn't voiced by Matt Mercer! I looked it up to check and its another guy, but now I have that in my head, I just picture Matt voicing Aiden, they sound so amazingly similar it's uncanny. Talking of Aiden, I don't really understand why he acts like such a dick at times, and the characterisation of the guy who helps you is a bit odd, suddenly your best mate out of nowhere.

Anyway I haven't found this as overwhelming in open world terms as I feared. Yes it has a big upgrade tree, but they actually seem like worth getting. The map isn't as dense with icons as I feared. The side activities I've done so far have been fun, like Windmills, Night-time inhibitor caches, chase missions and so forth. The binoculars are a nice mechanic. I do get what someone said earlier about the zombies being downplayed, and I agree its a bit of a shame but I never played the first game so I'm just appreciating the setting for what it is. I love how overgrown all the rooftops are and how its a settlement built above ground, the art design is really cool.

I wouldn't say its grabbed me as essential overall but once I start playing I end up playing it for hours.

Question - I have all these excess weapons I want to sell, but even when I have them in my inventory, I can't find a way to sell them to the Traders, or the Craftsmen. How do I get rid of/sell/dismantle them?

1 hour ago, Flub said:

I'm supposed to be meeting Sophie for the first time. I go to the bazzar but all that happened was I knocked at the door to no answer. Aiden didn't say anything and I can't get in any door to the place. Is this a bug or did I miss something?

I'm at the same point - front door during the day maybe>

For anyone there

Spoiler

That was odd right? It's presented as almost first time back to the Bazzar - "this time with a biomarker", the camera pans etc.

Spoiler

Question - I have all these excess weapons I want to sell, but even when I have them in my inventory, I can't find a way to sell them to the Traders, or the Craftsmen. How do I get rid of/sell/dismantle them?

Should be the option to change tab to sell at traders (not upgraders) and then you can sell everything? I just did it (what you have equipped is highlighted)

28 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

17 hours and I'm still on the first area lol. Loving this. I can't put it down once I start. 

I’m obviously not trying to tell you how to play the game or anything but it’s probably not really a spoiler to say that once you open the second area and do a quick quest you can move freely between the two so there’s not really any reason not to crack on. If you’re having that much fun in the first zone (we were too), I think the second area is going to blow you away in terms of how much of a playground it is. We just unlocked it last night after 20-something hours and it’s so much fun!