IGNORED

Starfield - Coming to an Xbox/PC/GamePass near you soon

Uzi

Looks similar to the original Mass Effect but without that morish sci-fi gloss

Mass Effect got away with a huge amount of fairly average content by having a lovely consistent look and feel, some wonderfully atmospheric music and some (but not all) interesting characters. 

It's far too early to tell how Starfield will turn out, but I feel very differently to how I felt when first seeing Mass Effect. 

What kind of chemicals does Todd Howard inject into his face to stay looking like a young man of 25? Or is his consciousness just uploaded into a new vat cultivated vessel every 6 hours 

1 hour ago, cavalcade said:

I don't know, I thought we were supporting our arguments with shitty anecdotal evidence? Or "doing a Broker" as I believe it is colloquially called. 

Nah you were making sweeping assertions based on your opinion and backed up by nothing, which are easily refuted with even anecdotal evidence because the way they were phrased was so childish. 

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

Apart from the multiplayer slip in an interview, the crux of people's issues with this game made by a small team is that it didn't meet their expectations. Obviously, it was very possible for your imagination to have at it. 60 hours at launch and it did what I thought it said it would, about as well as you could hope. If you knew nothing about Sony putting it front and center, launch backlash, and the subsequent story, hoping in now you might just find it a colorful space survival walking sim.

Mercifully, it is not possible for anyone to spoil my continued enjoyment of the game, although I do very, very much regret mentioning it in this (or another?) thread as the debate is completely pointless.

The multiplayer was one issue, but doing their e3 demo on a pre built planet that they’d specifically designed to look amazing then lied and said was created by the random algorithm was a really dumb move as well. As was leaving cool looking space battles that weren’t possible to have in their game in the launch trailer that was selling people the game. And lying on TV about the any roles you could take up when there was only one way to play it. The multiplayer stuff was dumb but it was far from the only misleading aspect of the hype which they created for their game.

I’m honestly not being insincere when I say that I’m really glad people are enjoying it, and that Hello Games are getting good feedback now in return for all the hard work they’ve clearly put in throughout development, including before launch, especially given that the usual bunch of internet cunts decided to send them abuse and death threats because their game was a bit disappointing. But I also really don’t appreciate the narrative that the problems with it at launch and the way it was sold to people as a full priced game are exaggerated or made up, because wasting £50 on something and finding out it’s not what you were told it was feels shit and blaming the consumers for shorty marketing is annoying. 

18 minutes ago, SM47 said:

What kind of chemicals does Todd Howard inject into his face to stay looking like a young man of 25? Or is his consciousness just uploaded into a new vat cultivated vessel every 6 hours 

I actually thought he was looking a bit haggard for the first time.

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

The multiplayer was one issue, but doing their e3 demo on a pre built planet that they’d specifically designed to look amazing then lied and said was created by the random algorithm was a really dumb move as well. As was leaving cool looking space battles that weren’t possible to have in their game in the launch trailer that was selling people the game. And lying on TV about the any roles you could take up when there was only one way to play it. The multiplayer stuff was dumb but it was far from the only misleading aspect of the hype which they created for their game.

I’m honestly not being insincere when I say that I’m really glad people are enjoying it, and that Hello Games are getting good feedback now in return for all the hard work they’ve clearly put in throughout development, including before launch, especially given that the usual bunch of internet cunts decided to send them abuse and death threats because their game was a bit disappointing. But I also really don’t appreciate the narrative that the problems with it at launch and the way it was sold to people as a full priced game are exaggerated or made up, because wasting £50 on something and finding out it’s not what you were told it was feels shit and blaming the consumers for shorty marketing is annoying. 

OK, I didn't know the 2014 E3 demo was scripted. Fair. Forgot about the space battle stuff, I thought that was in from the off as I can't remember not being able to do it. Genuinely don't recall the "role" stuff, unless it implied the sandboxy "play it as you want to". 

No narrative implied. It's my favourite game, and I strongly disagreed with some of the language here used to generalize NMS fans. Obviously, view my replies through the opposite lens. I hope everyone who genuinely disliked it at launch got a refund (it was digital-only, right?), as one of the few ways of sending a direct message that consumers actually still have.

34 minutes ago, SM47 said:

I think if you think he looks 25 in that video, you've probably spent too much time in character creators, and not looking at real faces.

Its been confirmed there is no voice acting for the protagonist this time. That's a positive in role playing terms if it means they really open up all the possible dialogue options again.

13 minutes ago, Ran said:

Its been confirmed there is no voice acting for the protagonist this time. That's a positive in role playing terms if it means they really open up all the possible dialogue options again.

This is excellent news and a huge tell that they are going in the right direction dialogue wise 

Fuck the trailer discussion, this is what has got me excited.

26 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I think if you think he looks 25 in that video, you've probably spent too much time in character creators, and not looking at real faces.

I'm actually former PC David Rathband, the policeman who was tragically blinded in a shotgun attack committed by the late renegade Geordie gunman Raoul Moat. So no, I haven't spent long looking at faces. Thanks for bringing that up though mate 

41 minutes ago, TehStu said:

OK, I didn't know the 2014 E3 demo was scripted. Fair. Forgot about the space battle stuff, I thought that was in from the off as I can't remember not being able to do it. Genuinely don't recall the "role" stuff, unless it implied the sandboxy "play it as you want to". 

No narrative implied. It's my favourite game, and I strongly disagreed with some of the language here used to generalize NMS fans. Obviously, view my replies through the opposite lens. I hope everyone who genuinely disliked it at launch got a refund (it was digital-only, right?), as one of the few ways of sending a direct message that consumers actually still have.

Yeah I think we’re just in the same thing that always happens online, where everything is black and white, and everyone either has to be willing to defend their favourite thing no matter what problems it might have or they need to think it’s so bad the creators deserve death threats. Where in reality most people are probably actually somewhere in between.

Really glad you love the game so much :) 

19 minutes ago, SM47 said:

I'm actually former PC David Rathband, the policeman who was tragically blinded in a shotgun attack committed by the late renegade Geordie gunman Raoul Moat. So no, I haven't spent long looking at faces. Thanks for bringing that up though mate 

Don't forget you topped yourself 10 years ago.

1 hour ago, PeteJ said:

Looks similar to the original Mass Effect but without that morish sci-fi gloss

Mass Effect got away with a huge amount of fairly average content by having a lovely consistent look and feel, some wonderfully atmospheric music and some (but not all) interesting characters. 

It's far too early to tell how Starfield will turn out, but I feel very differently to how I felt when first seeing Mass Effect. 

How so? 

10 hours ago, Broker said:

Literally everyone I know who bought NMS was disappointed by it, and the majority of them aren’t involved in any internet discourse. The defining factor was that they all got a game that was nothing like what they expected because the marketing was intentionally misleading. 

I think the NMS community are their own worst enemy really. There’s this weird vibe around discussions of the game where all the issues are ascribed to someone else. Sony are to blame for the marketing, or the internet just made up all the things they were disappointed about or whatever. I’m sure Hello Games have worked really hard on it since launch to get it to a place that many players are clearly happy with. It can be a good game that also had a terrible marketing campaign which wildly exaggerated. But the fans seem hellbent on excusing every mistake that was ever made to the point where it makes the game and it’s community seem deluded and unattractive to participate in. 

Sony were literally 100% responsible for the pre-launch marketing as it was a 2nd party published exclusive and Hello Games were ~12 people at the time.

edit: life's too short to get baited by posters blocked long ago

1 hour ago, Oz said:

How so? 

I got really into Mass Effect prior to release. It captured my imagination of how a sci-fi adventure game could be when growing up in the 80's. No Man's Sky, hate to bring it up and draw comparisons again, did that too. This is regardless of what the end products turned out to be, the initial presentations for those games captured a vibe I was very much into. 

Starfield's reveal didn't capture my imagination at all. The thought of 1000 planets seems less of an adventure and more of grind. At no point in the reveal did I wonder what interests lie beyond the hills in the distance. From what little - very little - we've seen, I'm just not excited to explore what they've created. It all feels stylistically flat and creatively empty. 

It's a big enough of a release for me to remain intrigued, and of course I'm aware this is the initial 15 minute reveal of what is a massive development and likely one with enough content to last 100s of hours. 

I'm just going by my own first impressions. When they introduce it as the most anticipated open world RPG in the last 20 years then I feel comfortable in saying such things!

Though you can design spaceships, so there is that. 

I was initially a bit perplexed that the game doesn't seem to feature any alien races (there will be weird indiginous fauna etc), that actually seems quite uncommon when I thought about it a bit more but still seems a bit boring if it's only humanity. Given its an RPG set in the vastness of the universe you'd think that was a glorious chance to dream up some alien civilisations or robots / cyborgs to play as and against but just like Mass Effect it seems you can just be a boring old skinbag human again.

Maybe there is more to it but I will be majorly shocked if they are holding that sort of thing back.

It'd be nice if the audio reverb adjusts itself to low/zero-G environments. Dead Space did that wonderfully, and that'll be 20 years old before long.

7 hours ago, Pob said:

Have there been any dev interviews or anything since that gameplay footage was released? I'd be keen to hoover up any details, especially with regard to how seamless it is, how space flight and planetside traversal work etc.

Dude I will put a fiver on there being no manual space to planet landing. 

Don't get those hopes up. 

The scale won’t be anything like they’ve said/implied. At some point they’ll clarify Todd meant something like “land anywhere… within the reasonable vicinity of a city, port or other site of interest”. The idea of flying over one of a thousand massive procedural planets looking for a key point of interest or a mission-giver to advance the narrative is bonkers. They know they can’t populate it with meaningful RPG content, so why try?

7 hours ago, jonamok said:

The scale won’t be anything like they’ve said/implied. At some point they’ll clarify Todd meant something like “land anywhere… within the reasonable vicinity of a city, port or other site of interest”. The idea of flying over one of a thousand massive procedural planets looking for a key point of interest or a mission-giver to advance the narrative is bonkers. They know they can’t populate it with meaningful RPG content, so why try?

Well they definitely said that you can go anywhere on any of the planets so, even it's 99.9999% procedurally-generated terrain, I can't see how else that could interpreted. They showed space flight but nothing in-atmosphere, so maybe @robdood's right and you just pick a spot on the surface and get some cutscene transition to mask loading. That would be disappointing given that truly free space games exist but I understand that those will be using some bespoke tech rather than an FPS engine from two generations ago.

10 hours ago, PeteJ said:

I got really into Mass Effect prior to release. It captured my imagination of how a sci-fi adventure game could be when growing up in the 80's. No Man's Sky, hate to bring it up and draw comparisons again, did that too. This is regardless of what the end products turned out to be, the initial presentations for those games captured a vibe I was very much into. 

Starfield's reveal didn't capture my imagination at all. The thought of 1000 planets seems less of an adventure and more of grind. At no point in the reveal did I wonder what interests lie beyond the hills in the distance. From what little - very little - we've seen, I'm just not excited to explore what they've created. It all feels stylistically flat and creatively empty. 

It's a big enough of a release for me to remain intrigued, and of course I'm aware this is the initial 15 minute reveal of what is a massive development and likely one with enough content to last 100s of hours. 

I'm just going by my own first impressions. When they introduce it as the most anticipated open world RPG in the last 20 years then I feel comfortable in saying such things!

Though you can design spaceships, so there is that. 

Yeh just watched a minute of the video and the first impression is not good. I remember thinking that about fallout 3 though when I first saw it. Although that environment seemed like a horrendous place to spend 300 hours that game ended up sucking you in. I hope this is like that. 

3 minutes ago, Pob said:

Well they definitely said that you can go anywhere on any of the planets so, even it's 99.9999% procedurally-generated terrain, I can't see how else that could interpreted. They showed space flight but nothing in-atmosphere, so maybe @robdood's right and you just pick a spot on the surface and get some cutscene transition to mask loading. That would be disappointing given that truly free space games exist but I understand that those will be using some bespoke tech rather than an FPS engine from two generations ago.

Maybe they're very small planets, like the circumference is 100 double decker buses or 50 football fields.

And some veryheavyium element means they still have passable gravity.

But yeah massive empty planets doesn't sound like it will be good imo. Maybe for space planet miner 3000 but not an RPG.

13 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Maybe they're very small planets, like the circumference is 100 double decker buses or 50 football fields.

And some veryheavyium element means they still have passable gravity.

But yeah massive empty planets doesn't sound like it will be good imo. Maybe for space planet miner 3000 but not an RPG.

If I was a games designer, that would be the first question I'd want a compelling answer to when the idea was mooted about 100 planet-sized environments. What's the point? What kind of engaging gameplay can that enable? Because it's still quite a novel idea. It could be about the endless vistas and lonely atmosphere (like No Man's Sky), the technical challenge of navigating space (Elite Dangerous) or the discovery and archeology aspects of being a space explorer (Outer Wilds). There's probably more. I mean, you'd like to visit the Moon wouldn't you? Or Mars? Because I can tell you now, they're pretty empty. But I still want to go.

6 minutes ago, Pob said:

If I was a games designer, that would be the first question I'd want a compelling answer to when the idea was mooted about 100 planet-sized environments. What's the point? What kind of engaging gameplay can that enable? Because it's still quite a novel idea. It could be about the endless vistas and lonely atmosphere (like No Man's Sky), the technical challenge of navigating space (Elite Dangerous) or the discovery and archeology aspects of being a space explorer (Outer Wilds). There's probably more. I mean, you'd like to visit the Moon wouldn't you? Or Mars? Because I can tell you now, they're pretty empty. But I still want to go.

Couldn't agree more. And hopefully they'll show (or more likely chat about in one of their round table videos of self congratulation) how these massive number of locales are worth it. How they'll enhance the game for at least some players. They could exist and some players enjoy exploring them and the narrative alleys the (hopefully) include them while others ignore them and have a tighter narrative experience. It's a question for me really of how it improves the experience. The sad thing is that they felt just saying there were lots of them was obviously a positive when my first reaction is nothing but negative until they can show their quality.

I think there has to be free landing for the outpost system to make sense, it certainly seems like you can place them anywhere on any world, so any empty space can be become a content-filled space, I mean we know how this works from No Mans Sky, no one says having the whole planet is pointless there.

Also I think it makes sense if you support a modding ecosystem like Bethesda do, the problem with Skyrim was it was a fixed size world with stuff basically filling every inch, so there wasn't much space for people to drop content without it overlapping, which meant you ended up with a lot of content taking place in a separate world. Here some modders can adopt a barren moon and turn it into a little well-defined colony with its own little adventure, it's something that supports the next ten years.

9 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I think there has to be free landing for the outpost system to make sense, it certainly seems like you can place them anywhere on any world, so any empty space can be become a content-filled space, I mean we know how this works from No Mans Sky, no one says having the whole planet is pointless there.

Also I think it makes sense if you support a modding ecosystem like Bethesda do, the problem with Skyrim was it was a fixed size world with stuff basically filling every inch, so there wasn't much space for people to drop content without it overlapping, which meant you ended up with a lot of content taking place in a separate world. Here some modders can adopt a barren moon and turn it into a little well-defined colony with its own little adventure, it's something that supports the next ten years.

I suppose for me there's a big difference between selecting a landing spot on a planet from a map-type screen (even if you can literally select anywhere on the planet) and actually flying down through the atmosphere, seeing that seamless transition and then being actively engaged in the touchdown process. Is there any engaging gameplay there?

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

We've built 1000 planets so other people can make some gameplay there at some point in the future?

1 minute ago, Ste Pickford said:

We've built 1000 planets so other people can make some gameplay there at some point in the future?

You could say that about No Man's Sky to be fair.