Starfield - Coming to an Xbox/PC/GamePass near you soon

Uzi

11 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I thought the writing in Fallout 3 and Skyrim was pretty decent. Nothing amazing, but served the game well. Fallout 4 was rubbish, though. 

I agree with you on Fallout 3 and Skyrim. They both had above average writing. Regarding Fallout 3, the Anchorage DLC had really good writing. Skyrim, however, had mostly really good writing throughout but the best bits were some of the side missions, short and sweet self-contained stories that often were a joy to discover and complete. 

When it comes to Fallout 4, I'm a bit torn. While it was a letdown overall I never thought it had horrible writing. It was sub par in places, sure, but the main problem, I think, was the mission design made the story a bit too fragmentet which made it harder than intended to follow. With the DLC for Fallout 4 the writing got better and better and in my opinion the Far Harbor chapter was excellent. 

I'm crossing my fingers that Bethesda has been scouring all critique aimed at their games over the last decade and use it as an inspiration for how to make the best game they possibly can for Starfield. 

I'm not very hyped for Starfield just yet but I am crossing my fingers that it'll turn out great. 

FO4 fell too far into the RPG trope of every big quest culminating in a big old dungeon clearout (except of course the dungeon is some dilapidated old building). You get to the quest marker, open the door, and you are confronted with a load of turrets and supermutants. "Oh we are doing this again, I guess". Far too shootymans.

The story it told through the environment was great though, which saved it to a large extent.

What I hope they don't take too much notice of is the 'ludonarrative dissonance' of having your partner shot in front of you and child stolen... then you spend an age building an encampment and generally goofing off rather than rescuing/avenging them.

I don't want to be forced down the story too hard!

Of course if the goofing around can be story led then fine, but let me goof off!

2 hours ago, fragglerock said:

What I hope they don't take too much notice of is the 'ludonarrative dissonance' of having your partner shot in front of you and child stolen... then you spend an age building an encampment and generally goofing off rather than rescuing/avenging them.

I don't want to be forced down the story too hard!

Of course if the goofing around can be story led then fine, but let me goof off!

In one of my play throughs I was this bitter old veteran sick and tired of the world and life in general. Rarely lend a hand, kept to myself, sided with no faction in particular. Yet the game made my character have these emotional reactions at important points which went completely against the character I built. It's incredibly jarring to witness the game shoving their narration down your throat. Early on in one of the DLC's a NPC asks you a question and you can choose from 4 answers. Only the "Yes" one allows you to progress with the DLC. How about you allow me to answer "No" to he "Do you want to help?" question and have the NPC stil open the door so I can progress on my own terms. I still do not want to help, but maybe I change my mind along the way.

Please do better Starfield. Judging from the character creation screenshots it looks like you can choose a backstory a la Mass Effect (veteran, survivor, plain citizen, decorated wat hero etc) and you take it from there.

Getting rid of the voiced protagonist is really such a positive step. I wasn’t very impressed by the trailer footage but that makes me want to give the game the benefit of the doubt. 

It’s probably not going to re-invent the wheel but if they can get back to Fallout 3/Skyrim levels there will be good times to be had. 

I really hope you can be a total bastard in this. Fallout 3 is second only to Knights of the Old Republic in making it enormously fun to be a monster. The bit when you meet your long lost dad Liam Neeson and he falteringly asks if you really did blow up Megaton 😁

14 hours ago, Rayn said:

When it comes to Fallout 4, I'm a bit torn. While it was a letdown overall I never thought it had horrible writing. It was sub par in places, sure, but the main problem, I think, was the mission design made the story a bit too fragmentet which made it harder than intended to follow.

If I remember correctly, they didn't have any professional writers. They just told people working on code to write quests for the game. 

Fallout 4 had memorable locations but not really memorable quests. 

Nothing to the scale of things like Tenpenny Tower of Fallout 3 which is just etched in your mind or possibly my fave Fallout quest, White Glove Society from Fallout New Vegas. 

1 hour ago, Uzi said:

Fallout 4 had memorable locations but not really memorable quests. 

Nothing to the scale of things like Tenpenny Tower of Fallout 3 which is just etched in your mind or possibly my fave Fallout quest, White Glove Society from Fallout New Vegas. 

Fallout 4: synths are bad, but not really lol

New Vegas:

Edited by Stevie
Changed link

2 hours ago, Stevie said:

If I remember correctly, they didn't have any professional writers. They just told people working on code to write quests for the game. 

And?
I am sorry I didn´t get the memo that told me the truth about the Fallout4 story origins. If I´d known no professional writers had been evolved, I´m pretty sure I´d rate the game less.

I guess it's difficult. We know what a habitable planet's biomes look like for a specific period (although recall the poles used to be like the tropics), but it's a bit more involved to show what a completely different setup might be. And then for all we know, multiple biomes are rare. I guess planets that developed life, versus colonized, probably ought to have varying biomes? I dunno. Think we're projecting a bit with this requirement, unless we're OK hand waving this part of the science along with whatever long distance propulsion they use, etc.

/blog

Looks okay but I don't really want to spend time scanning things using space-witcher senses and I'm a bit concerned that the shooting will be crap without VATS to fall back on. Especially in a post Elden Ring world where it's been proven possible to have a big open world game that also has good mechanics. Jet packing about should be a good laugh.

• 4 weeks later...

Where am I missing this guide?

That is a clip from their reveal at not-E3 isn't it (and the link just goes to a YouTube video of that).

Or is the whole guide the three bullet points?

I might not understand marketing anymore.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Padaxes said:

I have to be honest having twice as much dialogue is not what i was hoping for here....

Whereas I am positively tumescent at this news.

4 hours ago, df0 said:

253,000 lines of dialogue spoken by 10 voice actors 🤔

I know you're not entirely serious, but they would have had to expand their pool of actors to cope with that much dialogue. So yeah, it's probably 12 actors. ;)

And I'm glad there's no spoken dialogue from the player. If this game is as good as we hope, then some of us will be playing this for over a decade, and I will be happy to play this in VR with a mod that recognises my voice so that I can just say the words, and the characters respond. There's a fantastic mod for Skyrim on PC called "The Dragonborn Speaks" which does exactly that, and it's fucking ace. :D

21 hours ago, Mallet said:

I'm looking forward to this. 

People like to bash Bethesda games but I'm still playing Skyim 11 years later. I still replay Fallout, Oblivion and Morrowind to this day. 

I love to bash Bethesda, because at one point it was one of my favourite developer/publishers. Skyrim and FO3 were amazing, but then they released FO4 and FO76. Its impossible to defend their business decisions, and it’s almost as if they have contempt for their fans.

I do hope I can experience some Bethesda magic once more, but I’m not holding my breath. I’m expecting Starfield to have pointless dialogue options, and a storyline where choices doesn’t matter.

I do hope I’m proven wrong.