Starfield - Coming to an Xbox/PC/GamePass near you soon

Uzi

On 25/06/2021 at 19:57, Mr Do 71 said:

Dishonored 1 & 2 and Prey all look superb.

Different developer and engine technologies, Arkane Lyon/Austin versus BGS (Bethesda Softworks).

23 hours ago, deerokus said:

Skyrim didn't look like shit when it came out. 

A whole bunch of the environmental effects still hold up now, in particular the running water, the clouds around the mountains and the weather in general. It’s still incredibly atmospheric without any of the fancier techniques that newer open world games use.

Part of the reason I bounce off the Fallout games is that they completely lack the visual diversity Skyrim offers. Also both Morrowind and Oblivion looked amazing for the time they came out, so it’s bollocks to suggest all Bethesda games have shit graphics anyway. 

7 hours ago, CarloOos said:

A whole bunch of the environmental effects still hold up now, in particular the running water, the clouds around the mountains and the weather in general. It’s still incredibly atmospheric without any of the fancier techniques that newer open world games use.

Part of the reason I bounce off the Fallout games is that they completely lack the visual diversity Skyrim offers. Also both Morrowind and Oblivion looked amazing for the time they came out, so it’s bollocks to suggest all Bethesda games have shit graphics anyway. 

I think it’s more that Skyrim was a high point, and a huge high point for the time, but that high point was 2011. Then fallout 3 and 4 were the same but brown and with 50s references, and in the meantime we saw open worlds advance to the Witcher 3 in 2015, then RDR2 in 2018.

2 minutes ago, footle said:

I think it’s more that Skyrim was a high point, and a huge high point for the time, but that high point was 2011. Then fallout 3 and 4 were the same but brown and with 50s references, and in the meantime we saw open worlds advance to the Witcher 3 in 2015, then RDR2 in 2018.

GTA V came out a couple of years after Skyrim and was a massive leap forward as well. Now we’re getting things like Cyberpunk which, bugs aside, is an absolutely phenomenal open world.

I’d love Starfield to be the next benchmark in open world games.

• 1 month later...

This game will make me buy an xbox, I have held off with the Forza games because it just did not seem enough to buy a console just for one game. Hopefully we get to see some gameplay spring 2022, ready for a winter 2022 release.

On 27/06/2021 at 08:19, footle said:

One thing that keeps me coming back to Skyrim is the design of the countryside. I don’t even really know what it is, in Red Dead I find myself getting lost and there’s a sameyness to the wilderness that makes it all feel a bit confusing. I think it might actually be too realistic. But in Skyrim there’s an amazing feeling to exploring, using the compass, the visible landmarks and stuff that just works for me in a way open world games rarely do. 

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, df0 said:

Talk is cheap. Who are these videos for?

It's probably just a long drip-feed campaign, culminating in a gameplay blow-out at E3. BGS generally shows their games close to release.

1 minute ago, Vemsie said:

It's probably just a long drip-feed campaign, culminating in a gameplay blow-out at E3. BGS generally shows their games close to release.

I read that as "Hype it up a lot, advertise road map, rake in pre-orders, deliver an incomplete game, alter the deal".

1 hour ago, df0 said:

I read that as "Hype it up a lot, advertise road map, rake in pre-orders, deliver an incomplete game, alter the deal".

It's day one on Game Pass, who needs to preorder?

They need to deliver a quality product on day one because they don't care about pre-orders as much as having a killer app that brings in game pass subscriptions. They want something that gets great word of mouth and makes people want to spend £1 on a game pass trial to get dat game. They don't want people complaining en masse about bugs on day one. 

Yeah, with MS missing their Game Pass target, they surely want their big games like FH5, Halo Infinite and Starfield to deliver big time. I'm pretty interested in it and I normally don't jive all that well with BGS games. Going to space goes a long way for me.

3 hours ago, df0 said:

Talk is cheap. Who are these videos for?

Bethesda always has beautiful artwork. Then there was Fallout 4 and Fallout 76. To answer your question: the videos are for the same people that stand in line to buy a console or an iPhone in subzero temperatures. 

• gospvg changed the title to Starfield - Coming to an Xbox/PC/GamePass near you soon