IGNORED

Starfield - Coming to an Xbox/PC/GamePass near you soon

Uzi

I wonder how this sort of marketing strategy works out for developers, publishers or platform holders?

I guess some people get more hyped and remember that the game exists and might spread word or bump threads. But then you end up at "what is it" or "show me what it is" and there's nothing there. It might as well be vapourware.

Does anyone buy an XBox because of this? Or at least hold off and not buy a Playstation?

It seems possible only to build hype you cannot live up to. A bunch of concept discussion that I'm not sure any game has ever lived up to. Basically a slightly more restrained version of Molyneux or the No Man's Sky debacle (although obviously they've rescued the later a lot with patches it's a shame they burdened the release product with so much falsehood or obfuscation).

To be fair there's no way I'd ever watch a video like this (I've become very jaded against video content in general I think). Slap some concept art or god forbid actual screenshots on a page and I'll look at them. Spout lyrically to a journalist and have them boil it down into a few paragraphs and I'll enjoy reading it with a ladle of salt.

But 5 minutes of - what I am assuming from a quick skim - is very grand claims about the narrative the player will decide for themselves (ends up with picking coffee or tea), how impactful their actions will be (which of 3 pre-scripted story endings you see), how much choice they have (pick which alien joins your team), how every NPC has motives and acts like another player with their own free will (repeatedly walks into the same wall or can be found at the same predefined location all the time) and there thousands of voice acted lines to create a living breathing world (yet all you here repeatedly is "stop hitting yourself" or "I don't think I have anything to say about that").

I guess I'd like more developers to be like "boom" here's this product. Out in 3 months. It's not possible for many but with anything owned by a platform holder it seems like it creates real buzz.

In recent years it's been perfectly normal for Bethesda to not even announce a game exists until E3 and then release it that coming holiday. If anything, the fact that they're even acknowledging this exists months earlier than they normally would should indicate it's on track.

18 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

The more concept art I see the less convinced I am this is coming this year.

But maybe that what they want me to think. 

Apparently it's in the polishing phase, or so I've read.

Even though I'm not the biggest Bethesda fan in the world, I'm pretty interested in this. The main reason for that is that it's a massive AAA sci-fi RPG. As much as I love Elden Ring, I'm so tired of (dark) fantasy. I want more settings like Returnal, Dead Space, Prey and perhaps this.

They give off the impression that 11th Nov is a pretty set date, really hoping so! I'm a big elder scrolls fan and I'm really hoping its similar to those but in space, I should've just about finished Elden Ring by November haha

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This doesn't feel all that surprising, given how little more than concept art we'd seen to date? I know you could have argued that they were keeping it quiet for a big reveal, but it felt more like it was late. I guess we'll see more at the upcoming stream I think I remember is fairly soon?

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!

Ah well - I always think it's better to delay a game rather than rush out a bug-laden, unfinished product - despite the disappointment of it slipping back.

What this DOES mean is that I will aim to get a copy of Elden Ring and try to finish it by the end of 2022.  Starfield was always going to be a potential obstacle for that.

Just now, Boothjan said:

Ah well - I always think it's better to delay a game rather than rush out a bug-laden, unfinished product - despite the disappointment of it slipping back.

Boothjan confirmed for not ever playing any Bethesda game ever :P

I guess Microsoft have made some very unreasonable requests on Bethesda since the take over, such as ensuring their games aren’t broken at launch and so on.

"Todd, we're declaring war on bugged games in our community"

"But Microsoft, we sell bugged games in our community!"

Dynamite, Dynamite! etc.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

We've also seen fuck all of Hellblade, no? I think they'll just continue with getting 3rd party titles on game pass

Nah there was like a cinematic/gameplay section at the game awards. Not heaps but way more than Starfield. 

I'd not be surprised that in future retrospectives, they let the cat out the bag that when that first Target Render cinematic was shown back in summer 2021 they hadn't actually properly started production of the game. 😂

I actually mean that quite seriously, as it seems to happen all the time. A game I was involved in back in the day was shown as a target render at E3 and production hadn't really started yet on it! 

They've probably had the whole team working on Fallout '76 till that game's last content release!  

23 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Not surprised really we’d seen fuck all.

What does that leave MS with this year then? Hellblade 2?

There were reports out there a year ago saying Hellblade was a 2023 game. 

I am surprised at the Starfield delay as they'd made such a big deal out of announcing the date. The lack of gameplay hadn't bothered me as we didn't see anything of Fallout 4 around the E3 before it released. It's also been nearly seven years since Fallout 4. 

MS supposedly have Forza this year along with a smaller rumoured project at Obsidian. 

Publishers must be delighted with this news, MS need to open the chequebook to get stuff for Gamepass this winter. 

"we've realised we're not going to be GoTY and that's not the only reason why Elden Ring frightened us"

Meanwhile, all hopes on God Of War: Raganok for a Xmas game then? Or Avatar?!?!?!

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

Probably want to avoid a similar situation to Cyberpunk 

Indeed. According to Schreier one of the devs said a whole year ago that the 11/11/22 launch date made them fear a “Cyberpunk situation”.

This is holiday 2023 material.

Just now, bear said:

There were reports out there a year ago saying Hellblade was a 2023 game. 

I am surprised at the Starfield delay as they'd made such a big deal out of announcing the date. The lack of gameplay hadn't bothered me as we didn't see anything of Fallout 4 around the E3 before it released. It's also been nearly seven years since Fallout 4. 

MS supposedly have Forza this year along with a smaller rumoured project at Obsidian. 

Publishers must be delighted with this news, MS need to open the chequebook to get stuff for Gamepass this winter. 

Yeah I’m now looking at the release schedule thinking “which big game is Microsoft going to buy me then?”

Something the publisher might be a bit sceptical about sales wise.

7 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah I’m now looking at the release schedule thinking “which big game is Microsoft going to buy me then?”

Something the publisher might be a bit sceptical about sales wise.

Gotham Knights is my bet.

7 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Gotham Knights is my bet.

Maybe Saints Row? That might not be big enough. 

These two slipping is presumably going to have an effect on Microsoft's 2023 lineup. Their on paper lineup for 2023 already seemed stacked before the Activision deal. Add in Activision and these two and something has to give.

Hard to see how Fallout stays as a Bethesda Games Studio game. The gap between Skyrim and Elder Scrolls 6 is already going to be ridiculous. Someone has to make a Fallout game. 

2 minutes ago, bear said:

Maybe Saints Row? That might not be big enough. 

These two slipping is presumably going to have an effect on Microsoft's 2023 lineup. Their on paper lineup for 2023 already seemed stacked before the Activision deal. Add in Activision and these two and something has to give.

Hard to see how Fallout stays as a Bethesda Games Studio game. The gap between Skyrim and Elder Scrolls 6 is already going to be ridiculous. Someone has to make a Fallout game. 

Yeah, said something along these lines a while back but someone at Microsoft has to be looking at Obsidian and quietly axing the Outer Worlds 2 to get them working on Fallout. It’s still surprising that they let them crack on with Avowed tbh.