Jump to content
IGNORED

Starfield - Coming to an Xbox/PC/GamePass near you soon


Uzi
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Flanders said:


Yeah, said something along these lines a while back but someone at Microsoft has to be looking at Obsidian and quietly axing the Outer Worlds 2 to get them working on Fallout. It’s still surprising that they let them crack on with Avowed tbh. 

Avowed will be out at least 5 years before we even see gameplay footage of ES6. That's why 

 

Personally, I'm way more interested in Avowed but that's because I like RPGs and the streamlined superficial sandbox experience that Bethesda has been farting out since Oblivion, bores me to tears - but I appreciate I'm in the minority here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well this sucks. I’m excited about Starfield, but really I want them to get it done and move on to TESVI. It’s going to be 20 years between that and Skyrim at this rate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Flanders said:


Yeah, said something along these lines a while back but someone at Microsoft has to be looking at Obsidian and quietly axing the Outer Worlds 2 to get them working on Fallout. It’s still surprising that they let them crack on with Avowed tbh. 

Obsidian would presumably have been working on Avowed for over two years by the time the Bethesda deal closed so I'm not surprised Microsoft didn't touch that project. 

 

I'm more surprised that Bethesda hadn't already started a new team or studio to work on Fallout 5 even before they were bought. Seems crazy to go with a strategy that would have meant they'd go over a decade between mainline entires in that franchise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/05/2022 at 15:17, Kevvy Metal said:

I'd not be surprised that in future retrospectives, they let the cat out the bag that when that first Target Render cinematic was shown back in summer 2021 they hadn't actually properly started production of the game. 😂

 

The game has definitely been in development since Fallout 4 in 2014, the first page of this very thread has leaks of testing from 2018 with final art.

 

I think it just is taking a while because it's very ambitious, they've got spaceflight, multiple planets, etc. Space games are kinda notable for their insane scope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Yes, thought that looked quite good, although they should have opened with the elevator pitch and shown the cities, characters and so on then cut to the gameplay segment, rather than the other way around, I think.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do want to play it. The allure of exploring space is huge for me. And this look interesting. Though ultimately its still looks like an elder scrolls / Bethesda rpg under all the fanciness. As long as I can ignore the story and just go exploring I'm interested 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first min of the trailer, I had the trauma of seeing it as a less colourful No Man's Sky, but the cities and travelling to other worlds gave me some hope for the first person new Mass Effect 1 I've been praying for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah this looks absolutely incredible, like the game they pretended NMS was going to be. 
 

1000 planets, customisable ships, bases, factions. I’m so in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought the game looked pretty good. 

 

Seemed to be in a better state than rumours had suggested and while it looked less polished than might have been hoped for, it feels more plausible that it's getting polish rather than it being completely broken and unreleaseable. 

 

The biggest negative to me is that so far this looks like or at least feels reminiscent of other games I've played*. Having said that, they showed that your character will have plenty of traits and attributes but didn't show any gameplay where that would be relevant, so I assume there's more to come. 

 

Visually, I thought it was quite mixed, but when it looked good, I thought it looked very good.

 

Edit: *but at this stage, I'm not sure that's a fair criticism, because everything seems reminiscent of something now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Generally it looks like what I was expecting: a refinement of the systems they've been building on since Fallout 3. I wasn't anticipating great gunplay, amazing animation or thrilling space combat, but that stuff will likely be serviceable enough to not ruin the overall experience. When it comes down to it not many developers are even attempting to make the types of games that Bethesda create, so their formula isn't as fatiguing as the continual convergence of all Ubisoft games.

 

I will say the announcement of their being over 1,000 planets actively made me less interested. The chances of Bethesda filling those planets with interesting things to do or unique things to see is basically zero. Give me more meaningful stuff to do in a single star system any day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I will say the announcement of their being over 1,000 planets actively made me less interested. The chances of Bethesda filling those planets with interesting things to do or unique things to see is basically zero. Give me more meaningful stuff to do in a single star system any day.


It’s like they can’t help themselves. Every new game has to be ‘bigger’ than the last even when, in the case of Fallout 4, the map has big stretches of absolutely nothing and the rest is ‘go here, kill this.’ 
 

Think Mass Effect 1’s copy-paste exploring for the kind of stuff I’m expecting to see here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it looks brilliant. Yeah it’s a bit ropey, but that’s far outweighed by its ambition.

 

The good thing about all those procedurally-generated planets is that you can hide your hand-crafted environments and missions among the stars. That could really make the player feel like an explorer and archaeologist. Proper narrative and 

mission design embedded within a vast play area encompassing many star systems is not something I’ve experienced before. 
 

I hope the space flight is fun. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Pob said:

I think it looks brilliant. Yeah it’s a bit ropey, but that’s far outweighed by its ambition.

 

The good thing about all those procedurally-generated planets is that you can hide your hand-crafted environments and missions among the stars. That could really make the player feel like an explorer and archaeologist. Proper narrative and 

mission design embedded within a vast play area encompassing many star systems is not something I’ve experienced before. 
 

I hope the space flight is fun. 


My guess is there'll be about 5-6 main planets with proper hand-crafted quests and intricate locations and then maybe another double figure number or so with more basic stuff but still 'designed' if you're lucky, and then 900 odd random ones with copy paste portacabin enemy bases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There didn't seem to be a mess of icons on any of the worlds in the Galaxy map, thankfully, only the spacestation and a couple of ground locations were marked.

 

I'm sure they're using procedural stuff to avoid invisible walls and "you can't land here" areas, but also the game genuinely has been in development eight years, when all their previous games were three or less, so I don't doubt it'll have a lot of unique stuff. Only problem is ES6 might be 2030.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

There didn't seem to be a mess of icons on any of the worlds in the Galaxy map, thankfully, only the spacestation and a couple of ground locations were marked.

 

I'm sure they're using procedural stuff to avoid invisible walls and "you can't land here" areas, but also the game genuinely has been in development eight years, when all their previous games were three or less, so I don't doubt it'll have a lot of unique stuff. Only problem is ES6 might be 2030.

 

How much do you really think you can build in 8 years and keep current?

 

Even if they'd been working on the world's for all that time. Landscapes. NPCs. Quests. Unique drops. Conversation lines. Shops.

 

They won't have had a complete engine ready until at the best the last few. So you end up in reworking everything constantly.

 

In the end a lot of unique stuff might be able to creat maybe 10 interesting towns. But not 100. Let alone 100 planets full of stuff. Of course it'll turn out a planet is actually a tiny square or two of land right.

 

And I guess as usual the issue is whether achieving it would actually be a good thing for the game itself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

How much do you really think you can build in 8 years and keep current?


As shown by the recent Last of Us remake, stuff from 8 years ago doesn’t look much different, I don’t think the faces in this are blowing anyone away graphically, for instance, but they’re at a good standard when you want a lot of them with minimal handcrafting of dialogue sequences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Broker said:

Yeah this looks absolutely incredible, like the game they pretended NMS was going to be. 
 

1000 planets, customisable ships, bases, factions. I’m so in. 

 

You can play this game now - it's called No Man's Sky. And it looks better than this heap of janky shit, and has a pile of more free updates before Starfield limps out of the gate in a typically bugged to fuck form. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Harsin said:


My guess is there'll be about 5-6 main planets with proper hand-crafted quests and intricate locations and then maybe another double figure number or so with more basic stuff but still 'designed' if you're lucky, and then 900 odd random ones with copy paste portacabin enemy bases.

Sure, and I’m not imagining there will be carefully-crafted environments on a level never seen before. Just that those hand-made areas can be embedded in a truly vast space, which opens up all kinds of possibilities for gameplay based around navigation, orienteering, discovery, detective work etc. Of course most planets will be barren or with a single prefab outpost - that sounds pretty realistic to me - but there’s lots of novel gameplay that can be made when mixing up planet-sized play areas (and the space inbetween) with an epic narrative-led RPG. 
 

These galaxy-sized games so far have been almost all procedurally generated with some endless gameplay loops built in. This sounds like it’s taking a slightly different approach. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Pob said:

Sure, and I’m not imagining there will be carefully-crafted environments on a level never seen before. Just that those hand-made areas can be embedded in a truly vast space, which opens up all kinds of possibilities for gameplay based around navigation, orienteering, discovery, detective work etc. Of course most planets will be barren or with a single prefab outpost - that sounds pretty realistic to me - but there’s lots of novel gameplay that can be made when mixing up planet-sized play areas (and the space inbetween) with an epic narrative-led RPG. 
 

These galaxy-sized games so far have been almost all procedurally generated with some endless gameplay loops built in. This sounds like it’s taking a slightly different approach. 
 

 

 

Maybe.

 

But they've not really suggested that lots of the game will involve trying to find your quest hub in an unnavigable barren planet have they? They've just said there are 100 systems Would that even make sense given the technology a player must have to travel between planets.

 

I hope they use their 1000 planets to do something interesting but as it stands it's like a back of the box like item to justify why you but this.

 

Also let's be real... A planet size area is an insane idea (if we go with earth sized as a reasonable planet). Like really? What is the point. Could that ever actually make a story better?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.