rllmuk
RubberJohnny

Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

Yeah, I've just played the first level on PC. Everything at absolute max at 4K and it sure is a looker. Not a stutter either. Glad to see HDR on PC too. As for the game play it does feel different to 2016, which I finished last night, but it's too early to say whether that's a good or bad thing yet.

Agree with @Harsin and @Down by Law. The LOTR comparisons are bang on. That whole shpiel about the origins of the Sentinels is lengthy abstract nonsense which reminds me of the Silmarillion. Hayden was such an interesting character as well, really sinister, cool voice, awesome robot body. Instead we kept Vega who is now basically Jarvis to your Iron-Man.

It's so odd and I'd love to know their reasoning behind it.

Regarding the new secret stuff, I don't like the timed encounters. Haven't managed a single one, yet.

But besides all that, I'm having a whale of a time with it. Shooting is on point, I'm not massively struggling for ammo. It's important to spend your upgrade points, though, or I think you will end feeling very restricted.

Man, these jumping "puzzles", you can fucking keep it.:doh: Lost tree extra lives on this particularly stupid one. I switched it off.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Mr.Crowley said:

Man, these jumping "puzzles", you can fucking keep it.:doh: Lost tree extra lives on this particularly stupid one. I switched it off.

I heard in the reviews that if you failed jumps, you just lost a little health and didn't lose a life. Is that not right?

You might be in a place you can't get more health. So if you fail you keep chipping away at your health until you die.

36 minutes ago, pledge said:

You might be in a place you can't get more health. So if you fail you keep chipping away at your health until you die.

If this happens, just reload the checkpoint. I somehow fell into the fire pit and it just kept chipping away at my health and I couldn’t climb out. I lost one extra life but then just reloaded. 

13 minutes ago, Dave White said:

errrr

how do you open the yellow cracks in the walls? On pc. :blush:

Press E?

2 minutes ago, SnoopZakaDaVe said:

Was/is DOOM 64 included in any editions of the game?

I got it with the standard PS4 digital version. 

Just now, the_debaser said:

I got it with the standard PS4 digital version. 

I pre ordered and got the disc but no sign of a code or anything for it, I thought I read it was a pre order bonus.

Its only 3.99 so ill probably buy it anyway. Got given £4 out the blue by Microsoft the other day

Doesn’t look like there is an option to change difficulty during a campaign like there was in 2016. What is this shit?

Hmmm, this feels different to the last one in a way I can't quite place my finger on. I need to go back and play 2016 again to work out what it's doing that is better than Eternal. This was certainly a bit too easy on Hurt Me Plenty but now I've upped it to Ultraviolence the combat feels a lot more dangerous. That might be it as I think I first playued 2016 on Ultraviolence but I dunno, it still feels a bit off.

The fucking jumping and wall climbing is pure nonsense though. Just blast me across arenas using jump pads or something not the stupid Tomb Raider jumping from poles to cliff faces shite we have here.

Happily it's possible to skip every cut scene (so far at least) meaning that I am able to ignore whatever story they have put in I have been able to ignore.

Looks pretty good though and, most importantly, the weapons feel very solid.

I think it's the pace of the combat that makes it difficult, I wish there was an option to slow the combat down a notch for us old folk.

4 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Doesn’t look like there is an option to change difficulty during a campaign like there was in 2016. What is this shit?

Look again in the options/game menu, I've definitely seen it there.

6 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

There is.

Piss this is. This game is everything I didn't want in a Doom sequel. Off to CEX tomorrow so I'll only lose a couple of quid on it. Don't give a fuck about the plot, don't enjoy the combat at all and I don't enjoy the constant wanky platform sections. The cultist hologram comes on and says '"have I broken you yet slayer?" well yeah you have. I don't even know why I'm after you in the first place.

• Upvote 3

Enjoyed what I’ve played so far. I don’t mind the story elements, it’s presented well imo. Although you are kinda dumped right into it, there’s no sense of continuation from Doom 2016. 

Its a tough game. More so playing with a pad as there’s no auto aim.

To me it feels like more Doom and that’s exactly what I wanted. 

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

oh there is actually :facepalm:

• Empathy 1

I had to drop it down from hurt me plenty. With a pad and my age I'm just not that good!

Still grin inducing fun though, even on n00b setting 

The first slayer gate was a whole lot of fun although, on Ultraviolence at least, the amount of damage that needs to be dealt to anything other than the basic grunts is a bit silly and just makes the weapons feel weak and under powered. Then, straight into a stupid fucking platform section which just sapped my enthusiasm totally.

Genuinely hard to image what they were thinking with the platforming as it is fucking awful.

Also, I pre-ordered but have no Doom 64. 

I was going to get that on the Switch instead of PC anyway but I'd still have liked a free PC version..

3 hours ago, Dave White said:

errrr

how do you open the yellow cracks in the walls? On pc. :blush:

Yellow cracks need some form of interaction, other than punching, to open. 

So far it feels like the problems with scarce ammo could be solved by letting you kill the zombies with one hit and then a glory kill, they seem to hang about after a main fight is over which suggests that's what they're for but the balancing of them just feels way off. Having the bloody Doom Slayer half dead from one shambling zombie waving its arm in your general direction just feels wrong, waiting for the chainsaw to "recharge" instead of having an infinite ammo blaster feels like such a weird design decision. I'm enjoying it but it just feels like small changes could make it so much better. It doesn't help that enemies seem to make a beeline for you the second they spot you, I've lost count of the number of times I've been mobbed to death because I can't tell how many enemies are stood right on top of me even though I keep moving.

Do we know much about the teams behind this? I heard 2016 had a LOT of Machine Games influence / dev time.

It seems so different based on what everyone is saying, like it's DOOMCoD?

So, after about 3 hours, which is the max I normally give a game which hasn’t hooked me in, the main issues I have experienced so far:

It’s too hard except on the very easiest setting

Platforming is a bit rubbish 

The sounds of enemies firing is too loud, they sound on top of you even if they’re miles away 

Ammo is too restrictive on all guns 

Doomguy is missing a pistol with unlimited ammo

The split glory kill/chainsaw mechanic isn’t as rewarding as the simpler glory kill in 2016

The story is bobbins

You have to create a (fake) Bethesda account

The writing is really really small, obviously designed for close up PC monitors 

Tutorials are really really shit, they are too short to learn anything useful yet take you out of the game 

Music isn’t as good as the first

You feel like a wuss playing it, not like a bad-ass devil killer

Despite all this it seems solid enough. The gun play is mostly still great. Maybe it’ll grow on me a bit more. 

However, one thing it will never have is the wow factor which 2016 did. 

I’m so disappointed I’m tempted to try animal crossing. 

• Empathy 1

It’s definitely not CoDoom. It’s more like an attempt to turn the combat into a Platinum-style action game with lots of systems, and I’m not against that at all. The problem is that they’ve also added loads of other pointless bollocks (shite 90s style platforming, third person cutscenes, hub worlds) on top of the adjustments they’ve made to the combat, and it’s those additions which seem bewildering in relation to what people praised about the previous game.

• Upvote 2

I'll buy it again at twenty quid in six weeks , when hopefully they've patched the fun in to boot. What a disappointment. This is the only ID game I've disliked in 25 years.

20 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I’m so disappointed I’m tempted to try animal crossing. 

Come and join us brother the water’s lovely.

• Upvote 1