rllmuk
RubberJohnny

Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

Yellow cracks need some form of interaction, other than punching, to open. 

thanks fella, sussed it in the end, the map is stupid though.

As an oldie Im actually loving the pace of the combat  and seem to be doing ok with mayhem so far.

• Upvote 1

No one seems to have commented on Doomguy's room on the ship. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out for even more out of place weirdness.

I can’t even get this working on PC, menus are just a blurry mess even using official drivers. Kind of sounds like that might be a blessing though!

4 hours ago, Fargo said:

Enjoyed what I’ve played so far. I don’t mind the story elements, it’s presented well imo. Although you are kinda dumped right into it, there’s no sense of continuation from Doom 2016. 

Its a tough game. More so playing with a pad as there’s no auto aim.

To me it feels like more Doom and that’s exactly what I wanted. 

Maybe this is why people are having a hard time?  Maybe it's been made for the ground up with k/b and mouse aiming and accuracy in mind?

After reading this thread I am so looking forward to replaying Doom 2016 in blissful ignorance next week.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fargo said:

Enjoyed what I’ve played so far. I don’t mind the story elements, it’s presented well imo. Although you are kinda dumped right into it, there’s no sense of continuation from Doom 2016. 

Its a tough game. More so playing with a pad as there’s no auto aim.

To me it feels like more Doom and that’s exactly what I wanted. 

....err, yeah there is. You can literally turn it on and off and adjust it’s strength :/ 

PS4 version I’m talking about. 

1 hour ago, simms said:

Maybe this is why people are having a hard time?  Maybe it's been made for the ground up with k/b and mouse aiming and accuracy in mind?

There is definitely auto aim with a pad (at least on the Stadia version)

Still not sure about this. The platforming bits are generally annoying or just meh. They seem to stop the flow of the game in quite a jarring way. Then the arena fights have a very different rhythm to 2016 because the chainsaw isn't really a power weapon any more and is just used to farm ammo. It's still fun but I'm not enjoying the shooting as much as 2016 yet.

Was 2016 just lightning in a bottle?

Quite happy they haven’t been let loose on the new metroid game now. 

• Upvote 2

I knocked the difficulty down to the easiest setting and the game is more enjoyable now, if you're having a hard time I suggest you do the same. I don't mind the platforming, rather enjoy it in fact, what I don't like is the invisible walls everywhere which kinda feels a bit frustrating. The game looks amazing with HDR on but the map is bugged at the moment, it's greyed out and pretty unreadable which means exploration is very difficult until they patch it.

They is so much guff when it comes to upgrades and weapon abilities, very overwhelming trying to get a handle on how to proceed or deal with enemies. It feels good when you get a good string of encounters going though.

I still don't know how I feel about the game, it is so dense with stuff, I'm hoping it all comes together after a while.

• Upvote 2

From what I've played it's been fantastic. Full on mayhem.

• Upvote 4

So far, it's not a patch on 2016. Visually it's just not as appealing - even the imps look kinda worse. I'm sure it's pushing a load more around, but it never FEELS like a big leap over the previous game, which I finally went through completely a few weeks back. The environments are pretty much all hell so far, just a lot messier in design. It's mostly rocks and bits of big mech strewn around.

Gameplay-wise, it's... alright? I'm pretty sick of seeing LOW AMMO above my gun constantly, and I'm not having a great time like I did with 2016. And that platforming element... that ain't terribly fun at all.

Hopefully it'll improve, though.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, amc said:

From what I've played it's been fantastic. Full on mayhem.

in the same camp i'm loving it tbh.

• Upvote 2

Grenade explosions in this are mint. 

This is great fun. Big fan so far.  I don’t mind the LOTR claptrap too. 

Did someone say its lost its sense of humour?!  Boshing a zombie on the head and having it cave into the torso is pretty amusing surely?! 

I’m up to the Super Gore neat level and am still having a blast. The story seems to have taken a bit of a back seat and I’m settling nicely into the combat. I think it’s a lot easier than the first game. The dash, flame burst and stuff give you a lot of options. If anything, they’ve made some things a bit too easy. Pinkies are a walk in the park and Cacodemons might as well not be in the game as the window on staggering them is so wide. 

15 hours ago, watusi said:

I can’t even get this working on PC, menus are just a blurry mess even using official drivers. Kind of sounds like that might be a blessing though!

Well a reinstall of the game fixed this, something must have busted first time round...

14 hours ago, womblingfree said:

After reading this thread I am so looking forward to replaying Doom 2016 in blissful ignorance next week.

I think I'm going to replay 2016 instead of persevering with this.

This is a fucking shitshow. I have died more times on a fucking platforming section than even the fist real challenging section (the first slayer gate) and that is not how I need to be dying in a Doom game,

Incredibly disappointing as I had such high hopes.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

25 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I think I'm going to replay 2016 instead of persevering with this.

This is a fucking shitshow. I have died more times on a fucking platforming section than even the fist real challenging section (the first slayer gate) and that is not how I need to be dying in a Doom game,

Incredibly disappointing as I had such high hopes.

Try playing with a pad. You wouldn’t think it, but I suspect the game is designed to be played with a controller. The platforming is pretty easy. 

And obviously make sure you have the Air Control rune. 

Think it 6 of 1 this. For the pc keyboard and mouse crew the spin 180 stuff is a massive help as is the layout of the weapons and gadgets of death. 
As for the platforming I look like Liberace on pcp.  pad massive must be having an easier time. 

35 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Try playing with a pad. You wouldn’t think it, but I suspect the game is designed to be played with a controller. The platforming is pretty easy. 

And obviously make sure you have the Air Control rune. 

Nah, I don't play any FPS with a pad. The platforming may be easier with the pad but I'm not playing Doom for the platforming so it'd be way too much of a compromise for me.

That said, even the combat is feeling weak compared to 2016 - there's just something not right about it. The developers seem to have lost sight of what Doom is. 

Needs a patch to up the ammo limits and to give you ammo drops with glory kills. Also any patch needs to increase the amount of time you have to move away after a glory kill before being swamped by nearby enemies because the window is minuscule at the moment. Removing bullet sponge enemies might be another option.

Back to basics please, adding flame throwers and dashes and runes to give you air control or whatever does not paper over the cracks of a fundamentally messed up combat experience. 

• Upvote 1

About 6 levels or so in and the game's fucking amazing but it really does ask a lot from the player, reminds me very much of a character action game in a way.  A lot more so than Doom 2016 were you could basically get the super shotgun and just run all the way through with that.  They've definitely changed so many things and whilst I personally appreciate it and enjoy it, I can see the opinion being extremely split.  The number of on the fly decisions you have to make depending on enemy numbers, type etc has increased so much and the splitting of resources and making the chainsaw so much more necessary will especially annoy folks, you have to constantly take them into account, usually with about 10 demons on your ass.  Haven't really had any trouble with the platforming so far and but then I've always quite liked platforming in FPS games.  Considering how hectic the combat can get (on Ultra Violence anyway) I can't really imagine playing it with a controller, the enemies are incredibly aggressive and keep you moving constantly.  Also, I'm probably an old bastard but after a few levels I usually need to take a break as I'm knackered (well more so from level 3 onwards) :lol:  Storywise it's fine, I enjoy reading the lore but I couldn't really care less about it either way.  On one of the levels where

Doomguy kneels before a king I was like 'the fuck ?'  Since when does Doomguy kneel before anyone.  Bullshit

I had recorded footage of a slayer gate but it had recorded the sound from a youtube video/podcast behind on it too, fuck sake.  Might see if I can record the next one so you can see me panicing desperately trying to stay alive :lol:

• Upvote 2

Most annoying thing is the fodder enemies that constantly spawn during big fights, I get why, for ammo/health/armor but they continually harass you.

Combat is getting more manageable as I unlock more upgrades and muscle memory is kicking in. Still enjoying the platforming and finding secrets.

Love that you can enlarge the ui and change its colour, I'm rocking the purple ui at the moment.

I just hope there is new game plus so I can blast through the campaign again and get a good flow going instead of bubbling around like an idiot.

• Upvote 1

A wee bit more ammo and no bloody monkey bars and this would be great. For now it just feels like an exercise in masochism. 

Really hope there's a new game + that let's you carry everything over.

Just got to a bit that made me think of Celeste. :)

And Mario (rotating flame bars), and Zelda (hookshot).