rllmuk
RubberJohnny

Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

And finished.  Fantastic game overall, especially in the second half of the campaign where it reaaaaaaaally ramps up.  I do have my niggles though, the big one being the buff totem poles can get tee fuck.  There's only like 4 or 5 of them throughout the whole campaign but they just aren't fun at all and not fun to look for either, there was no need for them at all.  Apart from that it was all gravy, shall get to Nightmare eventually but I definitely like this more than 2016 personally though they are so different I like each one for what they are.  Bring on the campaign DLC.

Battlemode on the other hand I'm very 'eeeeeeh' about.  It does seem like something that will take a bit of time to learn but I'm not sure it's something I'm going to put any amount of time into tbh.  For all it's flaws I didn't mind 2016's multiplayer that much and would have liked something like that but better.  But then I've never really been a multiplayer person in regards to Doom, even back in the day, so it's not really what I play the series for.

• Upvote 4

I've been absolutely loving this and am fairly bemused by the lukewarm reaction in here. I'm getting the same kind of rush that I get from Geometry Wars or Nex Machina. I'm really enjoying the platforming too! :unsure:

• Upvote 5

Just finished second level and I’m struggling with the difficulty of the game, it’s much harder than Doom(2016). If it continues to ramp up the difficulty I doubt I’ll have patience to continue which is a shame as I loved Doom(2016).

On 23/03/2020 at 17:31, CarloOos said:

Every time I think I'm turning a corner on it I'll get stuck on a bit of scenery during combat, or hit an invisible wall whilst platforming, or caught under a Cacodemon on a bounce pad, or forced to trudge slowly through purple goop shooting tentacles that belong in Black Mesa (or all four in the last 30 minutes).

For a game that's been in the oven for four years it feels surprisingly janky, although most it comes back to the level design.

I just died about a dozen times there before coming off there, bounce pad and cacodemon....i then realised there was a bloody wall for me to climb up...doh!

It's too much. I'm not bad at FPS games, but the sheer amount of shit you have to keep an eye on in this is utterly exhausting. Got to the Gore Nest level, destroyed the Totem (fuck me that boiled my piss), got to the first secret encounter, sighed, and switched off. It's such a difficult game to enjoy, since you're constantly having to top up your armour, health and ammo while at the same time getting battered.

I think I hate it. I actually think I hate it, and I should stop trying not to, and move on.

It's such an ugly game, too, for all its technical wizardry.

• Upvote 4

The more I play this the more I love it. Finding once I sussed its flow it became a lot less tough. Plenty of using the chainsaw on the low level enemies had me pretty well equipped with health etc to beat the bigger guys. Only playing Hurt Me Plenty mind.

I loved 2016 and I'm absolutely loving this too.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jolly said:

I've been absolutely loving this and am fairly bemused by the lukewarm reaction in here. I'm getting the same kind of rush that I get from Geometry Wars or Nex Machina. I'm really enjoying the platforming too! :unsure:

RLLMUK is just getting old. ;)  So am I for that matter, but I really dig fast-paced, brutal games with lots of systems working together.

Good news then, as this game not only reviewed better than 2016, it also sells better:

DOOM Eternal broke the franchise record for opening weekend sales with double the launch revenue of the 2016-released DOOM, publisher Bethesda Softworks and developer id Software announced. It was also the best selling game on Steam for its release week, surpassing 100,000 concurrent players on the platform.

Good to see a Bethesda published sequel actually outperforming its predecessor after Dishonored 2, Wolfenstein 2 and The Evil Within 2.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Meh said:

It's such an ugly game, too, for all its technical wizardry.

Agree with this, it's ugly as sin. Looks more like a sequel to Shadow Warrior than Doom 2016. Harsh, oversaturated, overly busy, lack of cohesion and no restraint.

I quite enjoy the actual combat but I've just met the Marauder so that might be about to change.

The chainsaw is useless against big ticket enemies now, because you have to rely on it so much you almost never have three fuel cans. I think it would work better if all three gauges refilled slowly, so you could 'charge' it up if you wanted to use it. Either that or only one gauge refills, but you only need one pickup to kill heavies. Regardless the balance feels off and the need for three cans feels arbitrary at the moment, like it's stuck between the new mechanic and the old mechanic.

Are you playing it @Vemsie? How far through if so?

6 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Agree with this, it's ugly as sin. Looks more like a sequel to Shadow Warrior than Doom 2016. Harsh, oversaturated, overly busy, lack of cohesion and no restraint.

I quite enjoy the actual combat but I've just met the Marauder so that might be about to change.

The chainsaw is useless against big ticket enemies now, because you have to rely on it so much you almost never have three fuel cans. I think it would work better if all three gauges refilled slowly, so you could 'charge' it up if you wanted to use it. Either that or only one gauge refills, but you only need one pickup to kill heavies. Regardless the balance feels off and the need for three cans feels arbitrary at the moment, like it's stuck between the new mechanic and the old mechanic.

Are you playing it in HDR? I think it looks amazing

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm playing in HDR. My grievances are  more to do with the overall art style than anything technical though, it runs beautifully.

Top tip: The UAC colour scheme for the UI is much nicer than the default one, you can change it in the options.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hass said:

Are you playing it in HDR? I think it looks amazing

I'm playing it on a very decent for HDR 65Q9FN TV (not for much longer mind, gonna take the jump to a stupidly sized oled with HDMI 2.1 soon) and the HDR is up there with GT Sport. At 4K ultra settings I have to say it looks phenomenal to my eyes. I'm loving not only the fidelity but the actual graphical style of the game. 

The more I play the more I love it. Can definitely see why lovers of 2016 are a little pissed but I'm even enjoying the jumping and exploration. If it wasn't for Half Life Alyx it would definitely be my favourite game of 2020 so far.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Yeah, I'm playing in HDR. My grievances are  more to do with the overall art style than anything technical though, it runs beautifully.

Top tip: The UAC colour scheme for the UI is much nicer than the default one, you can change it in the options.

Fair do's. I think the first chapter (? the bit up to the first boss) feels fairly inconsistent from an art direction perspective. Super Gore Nest is awesome though, a proper visualisation of hell-on-earth. 

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

Sentinel Prime. I can't play FPS'es for too long, as I get motion sickness unfortunately. But I can play this better than most FPS'es as it's so fast and hectic and demands constant focus, which works for me. Hunting secrets in cleared areas fucks me up though. :(

Taras Nabad is hard. First time I’ve really hit a difficulty spike. Chucking all sorts at you at the same time. That Marauder and his effing dog can do one.

Halfway through the 3rd level and I’m done as it’s frustratingly difficult, every time I battle more than a few enemies I’m dying over and over again. I felt like Doom(2016) had the difficulty curve just right where it was tough near the end of the game but I never felt frustrated when I died however this has annoyed me more than any game I have played in the last few years. Not worth it as I have a big backlog that needs playing and Resident Evil 3 Remake out next week.

11 hours ago, DarkCrisis said:

Halfway through the 3rd level and I’m done as it’s frustratingly difficult, every time I battle more than a few enemies I’m dying over and over again. I felt like Doom(2016) had the difficulty curve just right where it was tough near the end of the game but I never felt frustrated when I died however this has annoyed me more than any game I have played in the last few years. Not worth it as I have a big backlog that needs playing and Resident Evil 3 Remake out next week.

Have you tried it on the easiest difficulty yet?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Have you tried it on the easiest difficulty yet?

No but I had no issues playing on normal on Doom(2016), I may come back to it at some point and try again on easier difficulty but for now I’m going to move on.

Finished on ultra violence (apart from the last boss, which I dropped down a level but don't tell anyone) and I thought it was great. There are some odd decisions in there which have already been mentioned but i'm not against repeating stuff.

The marauder is no fun to fight since it just seems to force you to clear out the room and then stare at it for a bit until it decides to attack. I was hoping it would behave more like the player, swapping weapons often, jumping about the place, being super fast. I was expecting it to be a fully fledged character based on the trailers too.

The purple goo. Literally just there to be annoying.

The UAC hologram. It wasn't funny the first time, never mind the 50th.

Tone wise I think they leaned too heavily into the meme of the doom guy. Doom 2016 was ludicrous but it played it straight, there's a bit too much winking at the camera involved in this one. I was laughing at his little office thing but probably not for the right reasons.

Other than that, good stuff, would play again.

• Upvote 1

I seem to be at the point of no return. Thank you to whoever pointed out you can change the UI. It’s so much better now.

I also got some headphones yesterday, so can play with virtual surround and the volume turned up and the audio is brilliant.

I’ve given up on the plot completely. The scrolling text is presented horribly and is an absolute chore to read. It’s not even tongue in cheek, as with the first game. It’s just totally straight Doom fanfic.

It's been interesting reading back through the last few pages of this thread. I think it's fair to say it's a pretty divisive game.

I played Doom 2016 about two years after release, and while I enjoyed it I didn't lose my shit over it as much as some people did, but then I didn't think Titanfall 2 was as amazing as it was made out to be, either. Come to think of it, the last FPS I thought was properly excellent was probably something like Portal 2, which isn't even an FPS, really. 

Anyway, seeing as I bought the 2016 game for all of £5, I reckon I'll wait for this to haemorrhage in price, as Bethesda's games tend to do.

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

It's been interesting reading back through the last few pages of this thread. I think it's fair to say it's a pretty divisive game.

Mostly on here it seems. On places like Steam, Era, Reddit and MC, the reception is overwhelmingly positive. It does seem to get the most love from PC players though, probably because, well, it plays best on PC.

• Upvote 2

I fucking love it. It's tough as old boots but fair in its toughness. Suss out the foe and the arena and what shit to use to win and it's a sublime battle.

I love 2016 but clearing some of the enemy encounters here is intense and gratifying to all hell and in some cases beats the previous game, for me of course.

Absolutely love it.

• Upvote 2

I'm on the last level now (I think) and it's becoming a bit of a slog. Unless I'm missing something entirely about how to play it, there's absolutely no way I could manage Ultra Violence. It'd be such an uphill struggle.

At the moment totems, Archviles and Marauders are no fun at all and just feel like ways to artificially ramp up the difficulty. What is the point in a super weapon if the most annoying and overpowered enemies in the game are immune to it?

I think they could have made the combat far more interesting if they had:

• Let you equip more than 3 runes at once (ideally all of them. I don't think you'd be overpowered if you had them all).
  • Not made every single Praetor suit upgrade completely crap
  • Let you have more ammo
  • Tried to put a few more core combat mechanics in there, or failing that, more interesting enemies. The flame burst is nice, but it's just a way of generating armour. It doesn't change the core loop of - "run away from enemies while shooting at them, use glory kills as a short reprieve with a few invincibility frames and a health pickup."

so...just started...here's my initial thoughts...

WTF!?! is it worth carrying on??

why can i only carry 16 shells?! why is the shotgun on 1? why does a basic enemy seem to be able to kill me in 3 hits, but i cant kill him by punching with my giant armoured fist!?! just...what!?!

21 hours ago, Vemsie said:

It does seem to get the most love from PC players though, probably because, well, it plays best on PC.

I started playing it on PC but stopped as it is dogshit bad.

19 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

WTF!?! is it worth carrying on??

No.

28 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I started playing it on PC but stopped as it is dogshit bad.

Captain Hyperbole strikes again!

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Captain Hyperbole strikes again!

What do you mean by again?

What do you mean hyperbole?

For me it has gotten just about everything wrong that DOOM 2016 got gloriously right. It's DOOM by committee and I cannot recall my high expectations of a game being so far from the low reality.

• Upvote 1

I dropped it down to the easiest difficulty setting today. It was getting a little frustrating, and to be honest with all the crap that's going on in the world right now I just want an easy escape from reality now and then. Not having this game kick my ass helps in that regard :lol:

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Mike S said:

What do you mean by again?

What do you mean hyperbole?

For me it has gotten just about everything wrong that DOOM 2016 got gloriously right. It's DOOM by committee and I cannot recall my high expectations of a game being so far from the low reality.

Similarly, there have only been a few games which have disappointed me as much as this:

ISS on the GameCube which was meant to be the next gen follow up to the greatest ever footy games made, the ISS N64 games, but instead was shit and played like the PS versions. 

Mario Kart Double Dash for obvious reasons

Super Mario Sunshine which was no Mario 64