Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

RubberJohnny

• 1 month later...

Got the series X and gamepass so getting stuck into this, finally, having loved the 2016 Doom. 

It leaves a dreadful first impression before you even start the game. I'm sure the forced bethesda.net login has been mentioned but then you get about 20 popups relating to different events and unlocks. It's overwhelming! 

The game itself is oppressive and challenging to get stuck in. I find it has too many systems, menus, upgrades...but then it clicks and it's absolutely glorious. Levels are absolutely massive, it looks great and is smooth as anything. The whole thing is very tight once you get passed the initial UI shock. 

No idea what the story is trying to tell, that whole side of the game seems very weak. I've already started to ignore the codecs. 

Raytraced mode doesn't appear to be doing much either, but not sure why you'd turn it off as the game already seems to run at 60fps. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming to the final part of this (I think, anyway), and as much as I'm enjoying it, the decision to not restore your ammo and health after you've failed one of the optional encounters or slayer gate sections just baffles me. It completely discourages you from trying again, as often you've used up all your ammo anyway and will need to go and find more before coming back, and then, if you cock it up a second time (which is easy to do, as they're bloody hard), you'll have to go and find even more ammo and health to have another go, so I just don't bother.

The optional encounters are especially galling, as with most of them the timer is so limited you need that first go to just figure out what you actually have to do, particularly when lots of them involve a sort of puzzle, like killing enemies in a specific order, or knocking some enemies into others.

When I first started playing this I thought I'd definitely get all of the collectibles in each level, but I don't think I'll bother now.

Thankfully, the moment to moment ripping and tearing is excellent.

36 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

you need that first go to just figure out what you actually have to do, particularly when lots of them involve a sort of puzzle, like killing enemies in a specific order, or knocking some enemies into others.

I usually never fired a single bullet the first time I went into one of those - used it purely to scope out what was needed and then, when I was sure what was needed, I came back with my trigger finger ready to actually try and complete.

Oh yeah totally agree on the optional encounters. They are a pain.

To be honest I decided a long time ago to stop trying to 100% games and just enjoy them, picking up whatever secrets I find along the way. I don't get enough time gaming to worry about the small side stuff.  

2 hours ago, rgraves said:

I usually never fired a single bullet the first time I went into one of those - used it purely to scope out what was needed and then, when I was sure what was needed, I came back with my trigger finger ready to actually try and complete.

Yeah, I may just do that, although whatever health I lose while I'm running around not shooting I won't regain.

21 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Oh yeah totally agree on the optional encounters. They are a pain.

To be honest I decided a long time ago to stop trying to 100% games and just enjoy them, picking up whatever secrets I find along the way. I don't get enough time gaming to worry about the small side stuff.  

Yes, I think I need to do this more. When I first booted this up I thought I'd eventually check out the DLC chapters as well, but after reading some of the posts in here and elsewhere they sound like they'd be too masochistic for me, and I don't need the stress. God knows the main game is intense enough.

I'm the same on the optional encounters. My first thought was that I'd try to finish them, but it swiftly became apparent that they were a step above my level at the time, perhaps more intended for the next playthrough.

More so though, they were a different thing to the main game. Here's Doom Eternal. Now here's Doom Eternal Challenge, a set of small arena battles with a high difficulty. I realised I didn't enjoy that, and if it was a stand alone title, I wouldn't bother with it. I'm increasingly of that mindset with side challenges and alternative modes in games these days. Would I want to play it if it was a separate game? I can see the appeal of this one, but I was happy enough with the main game, and by the time it was done I was ready for something else.

Just started this and loving it.  I’m a massive Doom fanboy.  I love the traversal and even the jumping to cling to walls elements.  Playing with DLSS and ray tracing bells and whistles.

I decided to do a full 100% Nightmare run and I’ve just made it to Ancient Gods: Part II.

The Slayer Gate on the final level of the first DLC is fucking ridiculous; there’s wave after wave of outrageous bullshit and then when you think you’ve finished it spawns in a possessed Maurader 😂

I’m looking forward to the 5 Marauder fight.

Yes, I hate myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the campaign ..

It's great but not amongst the greatest. The gunplay and arena style combat is at times exceptional, they've made a pretty substantial campaign out of multiple repeating tricks and the intensity rarely lets up.

I think this is a unique series in the FPS world - 2016 and Eternal anyway - with such an emphasis on the arenas, with a smattering of exploration thrown in.  As a result I found the moment to moment gameplay top tier but the amount of memorable, stand-out situations basically nill. It's a flat, one-note, high intensity ride, like a rollercoaster that's constantly looping in ever increasing circles, rather than having anticipation-building rises and falls. 

Remember that bit when the exits closed and you had to kill all the enemies before you could proceed?

It's a criticism they've made more apparent here than in 2016. The arenas, the maps, the brief exploration and basic puzzles all work well, but here they've tried to amp up the plot, the world building and the character center of it all - Doom guy. Where 2016 made fun and had clever references back to the originals, here it's a power fantasy gone haywire against a frankly dull framing. The settings you find yourself in are varied and nice to look at, but the plot goes nowhere of interest yet indulges itself on several occasions. 

iD are not Valve, who are masters of this sort of thing. The pacing and world building of Eternal is so far removed from games like Half-Life, but Doom shouldn't be in that conversation. Doom should be Doom, and they overstretched here and in my opinion in the wrong direction. 

So the reliance on arena based combat plays to their strengths, but they haven't quite found how to stretch the game further in my opinion. There's no holy-shit set-piece, and no plot twist to get engrossed in. 

But at the end of the day, it's the frantic gunplay that brings you in, and that all delivers rather brilliantly.