Ori and the Will of the Wisps

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Well, I'd love to pick up this game, but unless they've seriously improved the performance on PC, I'll be taking a pass. I only just got around to buying the original and the amount of stuttering going on has completely and utterly ruined the experience for me - which is a shame because it's clearly a gorgeous piece of work :( 

Played through it on Gamepass couple of weeks back and didn't notice any major issues - although having been a low spec gamer for a long while I may have more tolerance than most. 

On 08/08/2020 at 13:05, Lovelyman said:

How do you deal with the mosquitoes? They're wasting me!

run past as they dive and then use air effective stuff when you can get it.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question... I'm really in the mood for a platformer and I loved the first Ori, however with my ageing launch Xbox One creaking a bit I was worried by the reports of big performance issues on even newer/updated machines when this launched. Have they fixed it? Has anyone played this recently on an old One and can comment on how it runs?

Otherwise I'll wait till I get a new Xbox and dive in then as I have some alternatives I can try instead.

Cheers.

Yeah it was pretty bad at launch but it seems to be fixed now. I’m on a One S and completed it when it came out but a lot of it played in slow motion to the point I almost gave up. Revisited it last week as I knew there’d been a few patches since and wanted to finish some of the sub quests and I didn’t have any issues.

You should be good to go now without any performance issues. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm about 5 hours into this and I'm absolutely loving it so far! :D 

It has clicked immediately and just feels like more (but slightly better) Ori to me... It's stunning to look at, has the same great charm and art direction/design I loved form the first, and the soundtrack is just as sublime. I like the evolution of the gameplay elements too. I haven't massively experimented with the combat system so far as I've found a bit of a sweet spot that is working for be at the moment, but plan to give a few other things a try soon. The level design is fantastic again too. Pleasingly the performance has been bang on the money too even on my ropey OG Xbox so they have obviously sorted it out which is great to see. 

I've literally just finished the... 

Spoiler

Wellspring chase to get the water flowing again

... and can't want to play some more later. 

Finished it a few days ago and overall I'd say it's on par with the first game. Plays very similarly except it's quite a bit easier, especially if you take advantage of the various upgrade systems - I ended up with so much life I was practically immortal, and the ability to add a second air jump softened a lot of the later platforming challenge.

One of the better videogame endings too. I did not see that coming...

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Beautiful, $150 though :o

Is the sequel good? I ask that as someone who loved the first game.

I didn't enjoy it as much as the first. It's very bloated. It's still good, but it loses momentum halfway through and I was glad when it was over. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Is the sequel good? I ask that as someone who loved the first game.

I'm about 13 hours in so far and really enjoying it.

There is a substantially more evolved skills/ability system that allows you to customise things more that the first one, I also think the upgrade path is pretty well considered and they link together nicely as much as just getting unlocked. Overall to me I think it's an evolution not revolution, but the end result is a bit more of an in-depth experience (this may be an issue for some as Blind Forest was pretty tight). Others do disagree though (see above for example).

Length wise I did the first one in (I think) 10-12 hours so this is definitely bigger, it certainly feels bigger. I'm pretty sure I know the bit @mdn2 is referring to re: losing momentum (and in my opinion direction), I had a moment with it too, but after a bit more exploring I got back on the path and it hasn't effected my enjoyment.

I'm not entirely sure how much I've got left obviously but gut feel says maybe 3-4 more hours which I think would feel about right. If it's much longer there might be a risk of it outstaying it's welcome a tad.

Well that's me done. :D  

I ended up staying up late with a few beers and this last night after my wife fancied an early night. In the end I clocked in 18 hours and 1 minute with 92% completion for the finale.

Overall I'd put this on a par with the first one. I like a lot of the new mechanics, some of it felt unnecessary. For me it was definitely an easier game, there were a couple of ramps in the original which I found pretty challenging and got a bit annoyed with but I didn't find any of those in this one, some may even argue it's a bit too easy in places especially when you get skilled up. For example I did the last few bosses within 1-3 attempts as you can become a bit of a power house when all the abilities and upgrades are working together (I ended up with essentially unlimited health and energy recovery). However it plays really well and flows nicely, there is lots of explore and interesting little platforming challenges to beat. Also all the beauty, charm, and perfect little touches of art direction from the first game are in this, the soundtrack is just as good (if not better actually). A very very worthy successor in my eyes.

I was really in the mood for a modern platformer before I jumped in and it has delivered on that completely. The question now is if I'm motivated enough to go back in to get that last 8%... 

The question now is if I'm motivated enough to go back in to get that last 8%... 

Well the answer is yes :D

I decided to jump straight back in and mop up the last few collectibles and do all the spirit time trials tonight.

Now at 100% complete, time on the clock was 19:03:10.

• 1 month later...

This looks incredible on series X in 4k60 and is a stunning launch title for those playing it for the first time on series X. I do wish it wouldn't tech shame me with the 'the game was designed for 6k 120Hz, you moron' or words to that effect, every time I start it up.

Agreed. As I said in the Series X thread, this makes Blind Forest on Switch look like human shit smeared (tastefully) on a wall. 

I don’t think I can go back to the world of mortals. I know now what it is to see as the gods do. 

10 hours ago, Popo said:

Agreed. As I said in the Series X thread, this makes Blind Forest on Switch look like human shit smeared (tastefully) on a wall. 

I don’t think I can go back to the world of mortals. I know now what it is to see as the gods do. 

This really is a thing especially with refresh rates. Once you have experienced high refresh rates it is hard to go back to 30. Hopefully this gen means that we will never have to.