rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Hollow Knight looks lovely but yeah the map is terrible and it is awful at giving you a clue where to go next. Got so bored back tracking only to find another dead end. I loved it for a long time too :(

• Upvote 1

I didn't get on with the map in Ori. The zoomed out, painted world view was pretty but functionally useless and the zoomed in map was all jagged lines with no right angles. It made it unnecessarily hard to read at a glance.

Hollow Knight's map is all straight lines and manages to illustrate important locations without getting in the way. The game gets aggressively non-linear after a point, which I was really in to but I can see how it would put people off.

1 hour ago, El Spatula said:

Hollow Knight looks lovely but yeah the map is terrible and it is awful at giving you a clue where to go next. Got so bored back tracking only to find another dead end. I loved it for a long time too :(

At the very beginning of the game there is only one way you can go! And it stays like that until you fight Hornet, at which point it opens up and becomes almost entirely nonlinear. There aren't even that many 'dead ends' that don't result in some new toy or tool that makes exploring worth it.  Every area has so many connections to others. It is a bit daunting, the feeling of getting lost, but really you have to try very hard to get 'stuck' (beyond not being able to beat a boss I guess, but even then you wander off somewhere else and find something else to do ort another way to go..) 

8 hours ago, Pockets said:

Yep. #metoo

According to those BBC intelligence things that crop up every few years I’m a map-reading spatial memory genius too. I don’t think that was the problem - it all seeming a bit like a poorly planned out shitty flash game was more off-putting. 

Also, 'poorly planned' is some excellent armchair analysis from someone who's never played it. It's basically the most fairly, well constructed Metroidvania ever. 

Exhibit A:

• Upvote 1

I've set my XB to NZ location and downloaded the SKU from that store. 45 minutes or so and hopefully good to go. I only recently started the original on Switch and it looks stunning but I'll park it til I've played this now, I think.

From the post-patch footage, this is shaping up to be one of the best looking games of the generation. 

I understand that if you preinstalled it from the UK marketplace, it won't unlock today, you have to get the NZ version, hence my use of SKU. 

• Upvote 1

This seems to be getting great reviews everywhere. I didn't think the first game was all that great, but I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this. 

1 hour ago, mdn2 said:

This seems to be getting great reviews everywhere. I didn't think the first game was all that great, but I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this. 

The first was a massive surprise for me. I really wasn't expecting all that much, with the hype and the footage that I had seen. When I eventually played it, I loved it much more that I thought I would. Which has made my expectations for wisps probably un-realistically high.

Not so worrying given that there are two pre-launch patches available for the game, and that reports elsewhere are that these have made a significant improvement to performance, lighting, framerate and even assets. 

I've just played it for half an hour and it looks absolutely incredible. 

Framerate was pretty ropey on one s earlier, not sure if pre or post patch though.

Checked my version and it is the patched version. Played another 10mins and getting serious lag. Like several seconds of complete freeze. I hope the pc version is better, might install that later.

It actually not at all unpayable but is annoying for a game like this where a key aspect is good timing.

There are two patches, by the way. Mine didn't install the second 5Gb patch til after I'd played it for twenty minutes already. 

12 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

There are two patches, by the way. Mine didn't install the second 5Gb patch til after I'd played it for twenty minutes already. 

I've played for a couple of hours but haven't had a 2nd patch. I'll check again later, thanks.

8 hours ago, Stanshall said:

I've set my XB to NZ location and downloaded the SKU from that store. 45 minutes or so and hopefully good to go. I only recently started the original on Switch and it looks stunning but I'll park it til I've played this now, I think.

From the post-patch footage, this is shaping up to be one of the best looking games of the generation. 

Do you just set the region in the dash or do you need to do your Microsoft account? 

Just now, MattKB said:

Do you just set the region in the dash or do you need to do your Microsoft account? 

Just the settings on the console itself.

• Upvote 1

Had a weird glitch very early on. Picked up the first collectible and then after the cutscene Ori appeared inside a wall and I couldn't get out so I had to quit and reload the game. This is after the patches have been added. Definitely seems flakier than the first game. Never had anything like this happen in that. 

It's the preload. It's out if you live in New Zealand. 

3 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Unlocks at midnight in the UK according to the xbox Store.

Thankfully we all live in New Zealand. ;)