IGNORED

NIOH 2

MW_Jimmy

1 hour ago, Sumire said:

Yeah, I must admit I did spend a fair time leveling, and I think that helped loads. I am using a tonfa mainly and then the Kusarigama. I am a bit confused as to what powers to use as there seems to be a fair amount of them.

I am sure this is a dumb question, but can you leave a mission and go back to the map once you have started it? I did do a mission last night and it was as you said, this one was a single area with a few waves, but I managed to do it thankfully. I was dreading new waves appearing once I had beaten one lol.

Can you respect your points that you put into weapons?

Oh and that fat cat is amazing.

Yes, you can respec your stats using a book of reincarnation and your weapon moves using a zen manual.

There’s tonnes to understand, so don’t worry, you get there eventually.

One good thing to understand early on is the Yokai burst counter. You hold R2 and press circle. This move (if timed correctly) will counter an enemies move that flashes red for a load of Ki damage. Blowing an enemies Ki is important as it puts a human in a tried state and it allows you to hit stun a Yokai (so you can basically hit them without fear of being hit back).

The feral Yokai is the easiest to do this with as it moves you forward as you do it.

1 minute ago, Goemon said:

Yes, you can respec your stats using a book of reincarnation and your weapon moves using a zen manual.

There’s tonnes to understand, so don’t worry, you get there eventually.

One good thing to understand early on is the Yokai burst counter. You hold R2 and press circle. This move (if timed correctly) will counter an enemies move that flashes red for a load of Ki damage. Blowing an enemies Ki is important as it puts a human in a tried state and it allows you to hit stun a Yokai (so you can basically hit them without fear of being hit back).

The feral Yokai is the easiest to do this with as it moves you forward as you do it.

Ah cool, yeah I need to read all those item descriptions as well it seems...

I will try that Feral one tonight, dying to get back on now.

9 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Zen Manual is for re-speccing your Prestige Points.

To reset your skill trees, go to the Dojo and press Triangle.

Ahhhh shows what I know :)

I’ve actually forgotten about my Prestige Points, I should really take a look!

Come on people, where are the updates?

I’m always waiting for tales of everyone’s adventures, struggles and triumphs in this game and it’s all quiet. I know there’s some of you playing it!

Sorry @Goemon, will get on to some more yokai smashing tonight.

Have just beaten Saito Yoshitatsu however, and found her (?!) a lot of fun to fight, if not overly taxing difficulty-wise. Mind you, I'm getting a bit handy with the devigorate talisman now, so maybe that explains that. Blocking and countering worked wonders. I did love Inabayama Castle as a level - that start in the tall subterranean fortress, before popping out to the castle proper, great atmosphere and level structure. 

Looking forward to moving onto the third area tonight! 

9 hours ago, Let us measure said:

Sorry @Goemon, will get on to some more yokai smashing tonight.

Have just beaten Saito Yoshitatsu however, and found her (?!) a lot of fun to fight, if not overly taxing difficulty-wise. Mind you, I'm getting a bit handy with the devigorate talisman now, so maybe that explains that. Blocking and countering worked wonders. I did love Inabayama Castle as a level - that start in the tall subterranean fortress, before popping out to the castle proper, great atmosphere and level structure. 

Looking forward to moving onto the third area tonight! 

Nice, one of my favourite boss fights is in region 3.

8 hours ago, Sumire said:

I did another session last night, started at 6pm and never got out of my chair for 6 hours. Yeah this game is addictive. I have not done that in a game for a long time.

Good stuff! 
The game has a lot of systems, so you really can find yourself getting sucked in for hours at a time. The pace also means there’s no rush to how you play.

Another quick couple of tips...

You can add stones to your items, these are a good way to draw enemies away so you can tackle them one at a time.

You have a semi rare item called ‘summoners candle’ if you die and you really don’t want to go and tackle the area again, you can get your dropped items/Amrita back by using it.

6 hours ago, Goemon said:

Nice, one of my favourite boss fights is in region 3.

Good stuff! 
The game has a lot of systems, so you really can find yourself getting sucked in for hours at a time. The pace also means there’s no rush to how you play.

Another quick couple of tips...

You can add stones to your items, these are a good way to draw enemies away so you can tackle them one at a time.

You have a semi rare item called ‘summoners candle’ if you die and you really don’t want to go and tackle the area again, you can get your dropped items/Amrita back by using it.

Thanks for that.

Do you have any tips for fighting the boob snakes? I have a real hard time beating them consistently. I can never seem to get close enough.

8 hours ago, Sumire said:

Thanks for that.

Do you have any tips for fighting the boob snakes? I have a real hard time beating them consistently. I can never seem to get close enough.

Block.

All her normal moves can be blocked pretty safely. After she does a move she normally skits away so you’ve got time to gain your stamina back before the next one.

Both her red/danger attacks go straight forward so when you see these just prepare to dodge to the side or counter. I would normally dodge as it gives you a chance at free damage while she recovers.

Don’t get greedy with hits. As mentioned she’s skittish so will dash away after an attack. Probably only around 2 hits then wait, if you keep going you’ll miss, waste stamina and she will be preparing for her next attack.

I disliked them at the start but now they don’t both me at all.

8 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Block.

All her normal moves can be blocked pretty safely. After she does a move she normally skits away so you’ve got time to gain your stamina back before the next one.

Both her red/danger attacks go straight forward so when you see these just prepare to dodge to the side or counter. I would normally dodge as it gives you a chance at free damage while she recovers.

Don’t get greedy with hits. As mentioned she’s skittish so will dash away after an attack. Probably only around 2 hits then wait, if you keep going you’ll miss, waste stamina and she will be preparing for her next attack.

I disliked them at the start but now they don’t both me at all.

Thanks.

I think I kind of fluked them early on, but they seem to crop up a lot more in the missions, so I need to practice on them. I hate them when they grab you and do that bite move that knocks pretty much all my energy off and health. 

1 minute ago, Sumire said:

Thanks.

I think I kind of fluked them early on, but they seem to crop up a lot more in the missions, so I need to practice on them. I hate them when they grab you and do that bite move that knocks pretty much all my energy off and health. 

Ah yea the grab. 
Only way out of that is when you see the grey/white smoke, just get the hell out of there. It has limited range so the safest bet is to be out of it by dashing away.

Your dashes are different depending on your stance. One thing you need to start practicing is when you Ki pulse that you switch stance at the same time.

High stance dodge is a roll that has loads of recovery. If you’re in that stance and try to get away she’ll have you for sure. 

It’s definitely worth just practicing on your own stance changing when you Ki pulse. Ideally you want to be attacking in high stance and dodging in low stance where possible.

1 minute ago, Goemon said:

Ah yea the grab. 
Only way out of that is when you see the grey/white smoke, just get the hell out of there. It has limited range so the safest bet is to be out of it by dashing away.

Your dashes are different depending on your stance. One thing you need to start practicing is when you Ki pulse that you switch stance at the same time.

High stance dodge is a roll that has loads of recovery. If you’re in that stance and try to get away she’ll have you for sure. 

It’s definitely worth just practicing on your own stance changing when you Ki pulse. Ideally you want to be attacking in high stance and dodging in low stance where possible.

Yeah, I do need to start using the stance change more as I got lazy and am not using it to its full advantage. Thanks again.

Wow, the first main mission in the third area is amazing. A haunted forest dotted with creepy abandoned villages. Those giant owl searchlight things are terrifying. 

It helps that I'm kicking ass with my tonfa and magic build now. I'm still very soft, and a couple of hits from an onibaba hag can wipe me out, but having an A agility and fast ki recovery is a great combo for running rings around the enemies. 

Wow, the first main mission in the third area is amazing. A haunted forest dotted with creepy abandoned villages. Those giant owl searchlight things are terrifying. 

It helps that I'm kicking ass with my tonfa and magic build now. I'm still very soft, and a couple of hits from an onibaba hag can wipe me out, but having an A agility and fast ki recovery is a great combo for running rings around the enemies. 

Yeah, that's the mission where I really fell for the game.

I love how confident it is, firstly to expect so much from the player, but mostly to be willing to save its best levels for well into its runtime.

Yea, it’s a cool level. In a game like this, having something that draws attention to you is scary for sure.

Tricky boss too (at least for me).

15 hours ago, Goemon said:

Yea, it’s a cool level. In a game like this, having something that draws attention to you is scary for sure.

Tricky boss too (at least for me).

Tatari Mokke down after god knows how many goes. Definitely the hardest boss so far for me. Breathing sighs of relief right now, but my heart is still in my throat. No heals left by the end of the fight. I'll spoiler thoughts just in case. 

Spoiler

There's just no let up! It doesn't seem to have much, if any, attack recovery, so there's never a good time to heal. You can get a few hits in before it swoops away or after a burst attack, but your options are really limited. And I didn't seem to be even tickling it with medium stance tonfa. 

And then in the yokai realm when the screen goes all dark. :wacko:

An amazing boss, but difficult. Reminded me a bit of Guardian Ape from Sekiro, in terms of the sheer unpredictability. 

Started NG+ a few days ago and now looking to refine my build. This is where I had the most fun in the original so looking forward to getting stuck in. Lots of jolly coop and farming for me this weekend. 

I've respecced into light armor/high damage using the spear. Dying a lot more without the ability to tank hits but it's much more satisfying when my skills don't let me down. Hoping to have at least one monster build to take into the DLC. 

Such a fun game - I've sunk god knows how many hours in already and I'm not even close to being done. 

7 hours ago, Let us measure said:

Tatari Mokke down after god knows how many goes. Definitely the hardest boss so far for me. Breathing sighs of relief right now, but my heart is still in my throat. No heals left by the end of the fight. I'll spoiler thoughts just in case. 

Reveal hidden contents

There's just no let up! It doesn't seem to have much, if any, attack recovery, so there's never a good time to heal. You can get a few hits in before it swoops away or after a burst attack, but your options are really limited. And I didn't seem to be even tickling it with medium stance tonfa. 

And then in the yokai realm when the screen goes all dark. :wacko:

An amazing boss, but difficult. Reminded me a bit of Guardian Ape from Sekiro, in terms of the sheer unpredictability. 

Nice!

Yea, it was tough for sure, although running into the fight again later on I didn’t find it as bad. May have been harder using Tonfas as it’s possible to knock the eyes out, which staggers it. I don’t imagine Tonfas have the reach to do that easily.

I think it’s the next main mission that was my favourite boss. Just loved the fight. It’s in the ice level.

I had tried playing FF7 after this, but bounced off it pretty hard halfway through before returning to NG+ on this. It's funny as I originally bought Nioh2 in order to kill time prior to the FF7 release, but now I've totally binned that so I can play even more Nioh!

NG+ does not fuck about does it? I've been slowly making my way through it and I'm about halfway through Region 3. I've been trying first & foremost to get my main weapon up to 99 before focusing on other levels, thankfully you seem to gain a few levels for every mission now. Going for a glass cannon Spear build currently with my gear tempered for electricity & poison

The toughest part second time round seems to be the Dark Realms. I'm not wearing much armour but the enemies in them hit so much harder now that generally 2 or 3 hits is enough to kill me. Still can't bring myself to use heavier gear though & lose that A rating for agility.I've got all my Gear to 160 Divine+4 now, when do I start seeing drops for 161-170? Do they drop or is that stuff I need to forge in the end game? If so can you Soul Match 160 gear upwards? I only ask as some gear I was running with the whole way through NG maxed out at Lvl 153 even when Divine which was annoying.

All starting to encounter some co-op players now who can just wreck bosses in a few seconds. What am I missing here because if I would still have to fight them normally. Presuming some mad stackable buffs?

Are you talking about spear points to spend?  There is nothing locked in the weapon trees so you can spend points till you reach your limit

If its the other skills then some of them are locked behind sepcific missions / dojo missions

7 hours ago, sexton_hardcastle said:

I had tried playing FF7 after this, but bounced off it pretty hard halfway through before returning to NG+ on this. It's funny as I originally bought Nioh2 in order to kill time prior to the FF7 release, but now I've totally binned that so I can play even more Nioh!

NG+ does not fuck about does it? I've been slowly making my way through it and I'm about halfway through Region 3. I've been trying first & foremost to get my main weapon up to 99 before focusing on other levels, thankfully you seem to gain a few levels for every mission now. Going for a glass cannon Spear build currently with my gear tempered for electricity & poison

The toughest part second time round seems to be the Dark Realms. I'm not wearing much armour but the enemies in them hit so much harder now that generally 2 or 3 hits is enough to kill me. Still can't bring myself to use heavier gear though & lose that A rating for agility.I've got all my Gear to 160 Divine+4 now, when do I start seeing drops for 161-170? Do they drop or is that stuff I need to forge in the end game? If so can you Soul Match 160 gear upwards? I only ask as some gear I was running with the whole way through NG maxed out at Lvl 153 even when Divine which was annoying.

All starting to encounter some co-op players now who can just wreck bosses in a few seconds. What am I missing here because if I would still have to fight them normally. Presuming some mad stackable buffs?

170 gear drop is very rare so dont expect many drops.  I have almost 400 hours on the clock and only have 6 Pieces of 170 gear

Work on getting your gear to 160+10, if you find a divine 170 you can then soulmatch it to make a 160 item up to 170

You can also find Soul cores at 170, which can then be used to soulmatch a sentience weapon to 170, which can then be used to turn a divine 160 weapon to 170

I suspect you have seen players with min maxed builds, I have 2 builds which when I use them correctly and apply the right buffs can destroy bosses in a matter of seconds

2 hours ago, MikeF said:

Are you talking about spear points to spend?  There is nothing locked in the weapon trees so you can spend points till you reach your limit

If its the other skills then some of them are locked behind sepcific missions / dojo missions

ah maybe ive reached my limit! Thanks @MikeF

Making my way slowly through this - beat Kamaitachi last night, another challenging but doable boss, hope the difficulty doesn't spike too much at any point as it's just right at the moment. Died plenty fighting through the level though - those bewinged gargoyle-like fuckers are brutal! Managed to miss nearly all the Kodamas too. Maybe I'll scoot through the level again using a guide - I'm enjoying that arcadey element to the game. 

I loved the little cutscene after the boss - feels like we're getting a nice little gang together. The story doesn't mean much to me so far, but the game's got a surprising bit of charm about it.

Adore the game, just a tiny bit worried it's going to get Sekiro on my arse just when I least expect it. I refuse to equip Sloth!

Thanks to the kindness of our very own @Curtis, I now have access to PS+ and some jolly co-op! Only issue being I'm only in the 60s level wise, so either I'm going to be as useful as a choco teapot in your games, or you'll all be steamrolling everything in mine. I'll have a think...

Does anyone have recommendations for decent light armour - was using the Sohaya cuirass set, but that only gives me B agility. 

And it's only a sub-mission, but sod that duel against a Saito clan member in the Sohaya village level in the third area. Any tips? He casts fire and water spells all over the place and his odachi can two-hit me. Apparently it's an online mission, whatever that means.