rllmuk
Cosmic_Guru

(Are you in) Control? - 27 August

How varied are the powers in this? I've been watching a few videos and it seems like there's an awful lot of shooting and force throws, but very little else. I'm wondering if it's just repetitive footage or the game is a bit like that.

There's only four unless I've not unlocked side content. You only really need to use two core ones because the defensive one is barely needed except in the forced section that introduces it. The final one is pretty fun but you can take it or leave it.

58 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Had a strange one yesterday where I went back to Central Research to travel to a Bureau Alert and got jumped by wave after wave of the Hiss. must have taken them on for about 15 minutes before they gave in. I know returning to a previous cleared area can re-spawn the Hiss but this was quite a fair few of the bastards.

Central Research is almost always very "hot" in my experience, which makes doing the various Board challenges there fairly quick.

Main issue with the map is (on an x at least), it tanks the frame rate when you have it over layed.

Other than a ridiculous difficulty spike on the penultimate battle, which was briefly incredibly unfair and took many attempts, I had a great time. It didn’t grab me instantly but the more I played, the more I was drawn into it’s world.

The defensive power is quite useful if you are low on health and don't have any health pick-ups nearby as you can shield yourself to go pick some up from across the arena.

You will be spending a lot of combat time throwing and shooting but it feels good enough that I haven't found it boring yet. Much like Alan Wake was mainly torch and shooting, if it's satisfying enough then it keeps you going. And an enemy getting hit by an object you're pulling towards you before you even fire it never gets old.

There are a lot of optional areas and secret bits in between the combat. Arguably some of the more interesting content has been in the side missions. And there have been a few puzzles - nothing major but the punchcard puzzle held me up for longer than I would like to admit.

• Upvote 2

Fuck me I wish we had a difficulty selection. I haven't played a third person shooter in years and just can't handle this at all. A real shame.

On 30/08/2019 at 09:44, Strafe said:

Clocked this the other night and still thinking about THAT BIT. If you know you know.

I've finished the game, so...

Spoiler

When the song 'Take Control' kicks in, and it goes full Inception. As Jesse says at the end of that segment, "That was awesome!" It really fucking was. Felt proper next-gen, that. Was so much fun, and a great fucking song, too. :)

As for the actual ending...

Spoiler

Remedy fooled me!

When I saw "you are a worm in time" and the credits started rolling, I was pissed off. For me, that was an "it's not a lake, it's an ocean" scenario all over again. Talk about un-fucking-satisfying ... then, of course, the credits go all fucked up, and the real endgame comes into play. And that was nicely satisfying, paving the way for more DLC. Like where the fuck is Marshall? Or can she be found in the game now and I just haven't done it yet?

I'm 2 ability points short of maxing out all powers, so I assume there are a couple of hidden areas I still haven't found.

Also, if you haven't gone back to the Janitor's office, do so. New outfit, and more ability points. :)

I have a question regarding a particular enemy type:

Spoiler

The balls of "nothing" that go swirling loads of shit around and drain your health when you're near them. Are they completely invulnerable? I can't seem to do anything with those other than avoid them.

Overall, hell of a game. Absolutely fucking loved that! Day one for any paid DLC they release. I will say, though, a difficulty setting would improve the game's accessibility. I fancy a replay already, but I'd like to have an easier time with the combat. 

• Upvote 3

Two bosses conquered last night and another perfectly do-able.  Also, one of them enabled the 3rd grip update which is useful although for some reason not one level IV or V damage increase upgrade for that has dropped or been synthesized.

After experimenting with a fully upgraded Grip, I went back to my trusty Spin and Pierce. Shatter, fully upgraded with good mods would, I imagine, be an excellent weapon combined with maxed melee and shield. 

I found Charge to be absolute pants. 

9 minutes ago, spanx said:

On a scale of Days Gone to Bloodborne, how hard is this?

I'd say midway between those two. 

In other news, I have maxed out all abilities now. - Spoilered for those who may not want to see...

Spoiler

48652813537_b05f3520b9_c.jpg

So tempted to start another run through the game. But I have other games to play. 

One thing that is disappointing is that Remedy have confirmed there will be no New Game + mode. Shame, as playing from the start with all the powers would be awesome fun. They're a small team, and working on DLC instead, so I can forgive that. :)

• Upvote 1

Is there any trick or gimmick to dealing with the traffic light phase 2?  

Also, If I had my time again I would prioritise the shield upgrades.  So essential for many of the boss fights.  Levitate and seize are neat to use but far less important.

• Upvote 1

SkillUp's video review has some unnecessary spoilers in it, including the highlight of the game. He also spoils some of the best side content because he thinks not enough people will find it.

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

"Pretend" I'm an idiot. ;) What does that page mean?  +12 trainer?  Fling?  WHUT??

Fling makes trainers for pc games. You download a file, run it and you can cheat on games. There's the usual infinite health stuff but you can also max out skills etc. They are quite useful for grindy games, or to mess around with a game you have already clocked.

16 hours ago, Thor said:

I've finished the game, so...

Reveal hidden contents

When the song 'Take Control' kicks in, and it goes full Inception. As Jesse says at the end of that segment, "That was awesome!" It really fucking was. Felt proper next-gen, that. Was so much fun, and a great fucking song, too. :)

As for the actual ending...

Reveal hidden contents

Remedy fooled me!

When I saw "you are a worm in time" and the credits started rolling, I was pissed off. For me, that was an "it's not a lake, it's an ocean" scenario all over again. Talk about un-fucking-satisfying ... then, of course, the credits go all fucked up, and the real endgame comes into play. And that was nicely satisfying, paving the way for more DLC. Like where the fuck is Marshall? Or can she be found in the game now and I just haven't done it yet?

I'm 2 ability points short of maxing out all powers, so I assume there are a couple of hidden areas I still haven't found.

Also, if you haven't gone back to the Janitor's office, do so. New outfit, and more ability points. :)

I have a question regarding a particular enemy type:

Reveal hidden contents

The balls of "nothing" that go swirling loads of shit around and drain your health when you're near them. Are they completely invulnerable? I can't seem to do anything with those other than avoid them.

Overall, hell of a game. Absolutely fucking loved that! Day one for any paid DLC they release. I will say, though, a difficulty setting would improve the game's accessibility. I fancy a replay already, but I'd like to have an easier time with the combat. 

I bought the game for a high price! Day one and I’ve not yet even had a chance to boot it up! 

Cry for me and my lack of free time. 

• Empathy 1

4 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Is there any trick or gimmick to dealing with the

Spoiler

traffic light phase 2?  

Spoilered just in case.

Spoiler

It's simple. When it's red you have to be absolutely still.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

I don't understand the gun upgrades in this. My starter gun (and favourite to use) is still only level 1 yet all my others are level 2. Are they based on the obscurely named collectibles you get?

No.  The option to upgrade pops up after passing certain mission or boss fight points.  The ability to do so is then linked to materials.

I may have had an example of game difficulty resetting last night when an expected wave of enemies didn't appear (or it could simply have been a bug).  The lack of checkpoints late on is a huge negative in this.  I really can't see the point; all it does is encourage cheese and excessive caution, when combat is designed to be fast and fun - you become cautious to avoid having to trudge through 3 or 4 areas again after making a single mistake.

• Upvote 1

How the flying fuck do you beat Tommasi? He kills me in seconds. I tried going upstairs and he just killed me quicker. 

I seem woefully under powered to beat him.  

12 minutes ago, sandman said:

How the flying fuck do you beat Tommasi? He kills me in seconds. I tried going upstairs and he just killed me quicker. 

Go upstairs and wait behind good cover for him to pop his 2 loads.  Then empty your clip and run to new cover.   Rinse and repeat.  It may be quicker to throw objects at him but that can be a little more tricky early in the game.

• Upvote 2

On 31/08/2019 at 13:28, Hexx said:

How bad is the video issues on PS4?

I'm playing on vanilla PS4 and they're pretty bad to be honest. The quality of the game is just about managing to override the performance issues but it is annoying (and I'm not normally all that sensitive to these things). 

2 hours ago, sandman said:

Just stand behind one of the big pillars at the very upstairs and he'll air-strafe left and right while you shoot him until he dies. You don't really need to move the cursor as he'll just go backwards and forwards into your aim. If you throw anything at him he'll dodge it, which is weird seeing as it's JUST given you that power and you'd think it would be part of the fight. 

• Upvote 2

Later on you can use that dodge to your advantage to aim a little left or right.

Anyway, finally completed the last chapter :).    It's just so frustrating with falls and exploding enemies mixed in, and you can't go back and do something else or even use all the material to upgrade guns.

Now to go back and finish off the remaining bosses.