IGNORED

Control. Latest weirdness from Remedy.

Cosmic_Guru

So far the only games that I would honestly describe as looking gorgeous with ray tracing on them are Quake and Minecraft, and they're both ancient. Everything new taking advantage of it seems to be channeling the bland, brown and grey era of PC gaming.

I think this game looks tremendous with RTX on, proper next-gen stuff. Helped by the physics engine of course, with all its environmental interaction and destruction. Whish more games would do that.

Looking forward to putting my 280Ti to the test.

20 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Players of Quantum Break will feel right at home with this (as I suspected from the pre release publicity) - just replace the yellow with a red colour theme and otherwise it has a very similar feel (pre powers so far).

Not very reassuring if, like me, you thought Quantum Break was a fascinating failure. It must at least have more atmosphere than Quantum Break's seemingly endless parade of tents, carparks, warehouses and sterile labs, right? Was really hoping for something more akin to Alan Wake in the atmosphere  stakes :unsure:

8 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Early gameplay impressions on Era are positive, though some people are saying the game is quite blurry on consoles.

Nearly posted this morning to say it wasn't blurry for me on X1X, but after playing more it does go from super sharp to blurry (not just the motion blur) when things get hectic. There's quite some slowdown when too many enemies interact with physics, but seems to only happen after prolonged play without a load screen.

So far I'm enjoying it, and things are building now more abilities are opening up. Initially it was pretty basic gunplay and throwing things. Will have to see what they do with it later on.

It does look really great at times. The aesthetic reminds me of Mindhunter/David Fincher.

90 minutes in, no real idea what’s going on but I think that is kind of the point. Controls well, looks a bit bland till you start chucking stuff about.

Men in black meets Twin Peaks and controls a bit like uncharted, minus the cover mechanic.

So, yes, good so far!

14 hours ago, Majora said:

Not very reassuring if, like me, you thought Quantum Break was a fascinating failure. It must at least have more atmosphere than Quantum Break's seemingly endless parade of tents, carparks, warehouses and sterile labs, right? Was really hoping for something more akin to Alan Wake in the atmosphere  stakes :unsure:

It's extremely early days (just reached the first boss fight) but it's the same vibe really for me pretty much from the start.  I wonder if their starting point was to consider replacing temporal distortions with spacial ones?  Also, reminds me a bit of that TV show Warehouse 13.    Doesn't mean there won't be a lot more to this later on. 

One difference is that QB was 100% linear in game, regardless of whatever was going on with the time line, but this is going to include an element of backtracking when security clearance is increased.

Edited by Cosmic_Guru

Think I'm up to the same point as @Cosmic_Guru and I'm liking it.

It has a very dour aesthetic and feels really downbeat. Even after you've cleared an area and

the house resets the room it's still grey and oppresive

There's some weird head-fuckery going on which I'm hoping gets expanded on throughout the game.

Also, the run animation is a bit odd.

2 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Also, the run animation is a bit odd.

A little, but some of the animations on the other characters is really top tier. I was just watching some of the guards walk about.

With the combat you have to be aggressive. I was finding it a little dull, and in some places slightly challenging, until I just started charging in.

First "boss" spoiler

I failed this a few times as I was holding back and hiding. When I just ran upstairs and faced them head on I defeated them without taking a hit

39 minutes ago, pledge said:

Do you mean all side quests, or just the ones that show a timer in the mission menu? I've progressed the main story a lot but can still go back to the non-timed quests so far.

I'm not sure.   I suspect it was a timed one which I somehow missed the timer for (I've just completed one which had a great big obvious timer, which also confused the heck out of me too initially because at that point I had just entered a 

Spoiler

maze which leads from the research area  and I thought I had to solve the maze in that time (rather than just fast travel back to executive area).

There is more than a smidgen of Prey in this too, which can only be a good thing.

First review has appeared by a YouTuber called DreamcastGuy,  he states in the description he spent over eight hours editing the video to make sure nothing is spoilt in regards to the story.

But of course if you don't want anything spoilt at all and you going in blind don't watch it.

The Good:
Plays with the idea of fear by trapping you in the worst place ever.
Each magic skills earned deeply changes the tremendous combat.
Exploring rewards you more story, guns, and skills making every new hallway an journey.

The Bad:

Some frame rate issues when blowing things up around Jesse.
Can do some quests out of order, which is confusing.

9.5/10

For context his favourites games of all time are; Final Fantasy VII, Alan Wake and Bioshock. His recent reviews:

Judgment 10
Division 2 8.5
Days Gone 7
RE2 Remake 10
Bloodstained 8.5
RDR2 10
Anthem 6

Sekiro 10

36 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

His recent reviews:

Judgment 10
Division 2 8.5
Days Gone 7
RE2 Remake 10
Bloodstained 8.5
RDR2 10
Anthem 6

Sekiro 10

Giving me Homer Simpson 'I'm afraid this gets my lowest rating ever - seven thumbs up' vibes.

Another review appeared and then was taken down by a site called BGR.in :

Verdict

Control is definitely a unique game in terms of the gameplay and mechanics. But the storyline and general plotlines is nothing we haven't seen before. It is a well executed game, and seems to be a clear general improvement over the previous Remedy Entertainment game, Quantum Break. Jessie is a well traced character but the others seemed a little sketchier.

With a price of $59.99 it is in the tier of premium games and it seems slightly higher than it should be. Considering the game mechanics are what makes this stand out, it would make sense for the fans of the genre to go for it instantly.

Rating 3.5/5

Finished the main story. Probably about 8 hours. Felt substantial enough and there seems like quite a few more hours of side quests.

There's some sections at the end that need some better checkpoints as you can get one shotted or fall and have to do a big chunk all over again (and again).  The combat is pretty fun when it gets going, but there is slow down on X1X that can be annoying. I found aiming at things in the air a bit disorientating with the partial camera lock on. Also some of the controls felt a bit unintuitive.

Spoiler about one power:

The double tap and hold to levitate higher, but then also the same button to fall seemed a bad choice. I kept falling when I didn't mean to. Probably my old hands though.

There were a couple of standout moments which I won't spoil. The story and mood were pretty well done, but it wasn't as trippy as I expected overall.

Better than Quantum Break/10

10 hours ago, pledge said:

Finished the main story. Probably about 8 hours. Felt substantial enough and there seems like quite a few more hours of side quests.

There's some sections at the end that need some better checkpoints as you can get one shotted or fall and have to do a big chunk all over again (and again).  The combat is pretty fun when it gets going, but there is slow down on X1X that can be annoying. I found aiming at things in the air a bit disorientating with the partial camera lock on. Also some of the controls felt a bit unintuitive.

Spoiler about one power:

Reveal hidden contents

The double tap and hold to levitate higher, but then also the same button to fall seemed a bad choice. I kept falling when I didn't mean to. Probably my old hands though.

There were a couple of standout moments which I won't spoil. The story and mood were pretty well done, but it wasn't as trippy as I expected overall.

Better than Quantum Break/10

After you got the level 5 keycard:

did you ever manage to trigger anything in the luck room? I tried to follow the diagram and got nowhere

Also, someone at Remedy is a big fan of the early 2000s series The Lost Room, even down to the

hotel room...