Control. Latest weirdness from Remedy.

You sure? I'll be surprised if the offering did not come with both versions.

edit: to answer the question, PS4 (Pro) version is 30 fps, PS5 version is either 60 fps or 30 fps with some negligible graphical fidelity.

4 minutes ago, df0 said:

You sure? I'll be surprised if the offering did not come with both versions.

Yeah - it’s Sony being rubbish. If you claimed it on the PS4, you get the standard edition, on a PS5 you get the PS5 edition. On PC a choice of either. It makes absolutely no sense. I’d have to pay £30+ to get the PS5 version. I assumed it was already in my game library, but no.

27 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

Yeah - it’s Sony being rubbish. If you claimed it on the PS4, you get the standard edition, on a PS5 you get the PS5 edition. On PC a choice of either. It makes absolutely no sense. I’d have to pay £30+ to get the PS5 version. I assumed it was already in my game library, but no.

I only "got" it on PS5 and I've got both, in the PS App what do you see when you tap on Purchased?

Screenshot_20210330-180807.thumb.jpg.3969cfc134892d11ce46214e4873043b.jpg

Ouch, that's poor showing by Sony.

For the record, I claimed it on the web store (I had no PS5 at that time) and somehow got both versions.

9 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I only "got" it on PS5 and I've got both, in the PS App what do you see when you tap on Purchased?

Screenshot_20210330-180807.thumb.jpg.3969cfc134892d11ce46214e4873043b.jpg

Actually, now I’m not sure. I’m checking on PC and I’ve got “Control: Ultimate Edition” but labelled “PS4.” Control: Ultimate Edition for PS5 is showing as £32.99.

The PS Store seems to list three Control SKUs, which I think are a game, a bundle, and a bundle of a game and a bundle:

Control base game (PS4)

Control Ultimate Edition (PS4)

- Control base game (PS4)

- Foundation Expansion (PS4)

- AWE Expansion (PS4)

Control Ultimate Edition (PS4|PS5)

- Control Ultimate Edition (PS4)

--Control base game (PS4)

-- Foundation Expansion (PS4)

-- AWE Expansion (PS4)

- Control Ultimate Edition (PS5)

11 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

The PS Store seems to list three Control SKUs, which I think are a game, a bundle, and a bundle of a game and a bundle:

Control base game (PS4)

Control Ultimate Edition (PS4)

- Control base game (PS4)

- Foundation Expansion (PS4)

- AWE Expansion (PS4)

Control Ultimate Edition (PS4|PS5)

- Control Ultimate Edition (PS4)

--Control base game (PS4)

-- Foundation Expansion (PS4)

-- AWE Expansion (PS4)

- Control Ultimate Edition (PS5)

I’ve only got the Ultimate Edition PS4 version from PS+. The PS5 shows as £32.99. I thought the Ultimate Edition was the PS5 one when I added it to my library.

I’ll try Sony customer support anyway but I’m not expecting any response at all.

16 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

So, if I have this straight the Game Pass edition doesn't include any Series X|S optimisations?

That’s correct, you have to pay separately for the ultimate edition which includes the new enhancements, the Game Pass version is the base Xbox One/X version, so doesn’t have ray tracing or a 60fps mode. 

Absolutely loving this on the SX having never played it before. The thought of Alan Wake 2 in an engine of this quality is a thing I’m very excited about. 

And it’s featured one of my favourite Joe Schmo video game characters in ages. 

A8B79483-8ECC-444B-AE85-B1004D873166.jpeg

39 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I abandoned Control because the restart time after dying was too long.

Am I am idiot?

Die less, idiot.

I only played it on PC and PS5, I could see it getting annoying if it was much longer.

7 hours ago, Festoon said:

Am I am idiot?

Load times aren't a problem on Series X, and I assume the other current consoles.  

I like the game's setting and ideas, but find it a bit of a chore to actually play. I tend to look for appropriate moments to stop,  so if I die or watch a cutscene or whatever, I turn it off for the day.

8 hours ago, Festoon said:

Am I am idiot?

Mine frequently hung for 45 seconds on a PS4 pro while loading.

Like "Background stops animating" hung. I reset the game the first couple of times before one where I walked back in while it was doing it and it unfroze as i went for the controller.

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

Load times aren't a problem on Series X, and I assume the other current consoles.  

I like the game's setting and ideas, but find it a bit of a chore to actually play. I tend to look for appropriate moments to stop,  so if I die or watch a cutscene or whatever, I turn it off for the day.

Its actually a really good game for playing in small chunks as the save system is very generous. 

I love this. Done the main story and the Foundation DLC and found very little to dislike. 

Finding myself holding off on the AWE DLC though. I sort of liked Alan Wake, and part of me wishes there was a middle point between looking up the DLC on YouTube and actually playing it. I want to have played it without going through the bother. 

How long is it, and should I bother? I've only seen people saying it's a bit pants. 

It's not very long and there's enough to like in it that I'd say it's worth your time if you already own it (mostly side content rather than the main story). 

I stopped halfway through AWE. It was spoiling the good impression the main game left on me. I was gagging for more Control after finishing it but playing AWE made me think that I'm good thanks.

The AW easter eggs in the main game are way way cooler and more entertaining than anything in AWE. I youtubed the ending of AWE and even that wasn't really worth it tbh.

9 hours ago, hereticboy said:

I love this. Done the main story and the Foundation DLC and found very little to dislike. 

Finding myself holding off on the AWE DLC though. I sort of liked Alan Wake, and part of me wishes there was a middle point between looking up the DLC on YouTube and actually playing it. I want to have played it without going through the bother. 

How long is it, and should I bother? I've only seen people saying it's a bit pants. 

Surely the middle point is turning on a load of assists.

And if you do that you might as well run through it.

The AWE DLC is disappointing, but essentially more of the same. I definitely wouldn't do it just after you've finished the main game, but I came back to it after a long-ish break and quite enjoyed it. It squanders its potential, but I thought some of the light/dark setpieces were fun.

If they'd ditched the Alan Wake connection (or at least made it less prominent), I suspect people would think of it more highly. They tease the Bright Falls bit all the way through, and its such a colossal letdown when you finally get to it but without that weight of expectation I think it might have been better received.

I have the ultimate edition. Is the DLC playable at the end or does it bake it into the game somewhere? 

The one thing I am struggling with is doing the side stuff as its appearing and I think I would prefer to just do it at the end like Alan Wake. 

So did anyone else with a Series X buy the Ultimate Edition in a sale, and then wait for the SX enhanced version to come out, and THEN play the standard edition with no enhancements to completion? No? I did! I had an inkling as I couldn't find the toggle between performance and graphics mode, but to be honest I was enjoying the game so much I didn't really care when I was playing. Even the standard edition is a great looking game. Kind of miffed now though, as I can't play the DLC and tidy up the side missions on the fancy edition. I think I might wait a while and go through it again, I don't really replay games much but this might be worth another go, it's a lot of fun. Maybe i'll understand the ending the second time around. 

I did start the fancy one to try the graphics. I found the 60fps a bit unsettling after finishing it in 30. I'm sure i'd get used to it though. 

1 hour ago, Yiggy said:

I have the ultimate edition. Is the DLC playable at the end or does it bake it into the game somewhere? 

The one thing I am struggling with is doing the side stuff as its appearing and I think I would prefer to just do it at the end like Alan Wake. 

I think you can leave the side stuff until the end? I am, seeing as I've restarted this.

1 hour ago, Yiggy said:

I played through the ultimate edition recently, and the game lets you start the Alan Wake DLC (quite seamlessly) before you reach the end game, but you don't have to do it as soon as it's available. TBH, I quite liked doing it before the end of the game and before the other DLC, as it slotted in quite nicely, aside from the minor bump in difficulty. Sounds like I came away with much better impressions of it than people who played it as it came out, well after finishing the main game and the other DLC. I don't blame them, I'd probably feel similarly if I'd done it in that order.

Yeah the wake DLC doesn't even tell you its DLC I accidentally did it assuming it was story.  I was playing it at the same time as a friend who was playing non-ultimate and I had no idea why she didn't know the bits with the light!

The other DLC spawns post game.