IGNORED

Control. Latest weirdness from Remedy.

Cosmic_Guru

17 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

All about Grip and headshots for me, especially with the unique upgrade. Everything else is situational.

All the weapons are situational - they’re there for when you run out of launch energy.

In a funny series of coincidences I was reading Ambrose Bierce’s Can Such Things Be yesterday, and looked something up which sent me down the rabbit hole of The King In Yellow wiki, which mentioned the SCP Foundation in passing which I hadn’t thought about in ages, so went to that site…and then realised Control is basically SCP Foundation the video game.

I’m sure this is completely obvious but it never connected on my play through, and it gives me even more appreciation for what an amazing job the devs did with this. Superb world building!

Incidentally, what is Shield? I keep getting pickups for it but have no clue how or what I need to shield Jesse - and I have pretty much finished all the game and dlc, the only things I haven’t done is the last encounter with Dr Thingummy (the one who hates light) and the optional boss fight with in the room with the big rock in it (Tommassi?).

Also I’ve maxed out all Jesse’s powers (with three left to fill on melee) so I’m puzzled I’ve not used it at all.

Shield is when you hold L1 (I think) to raise a barrier of concrete and debris in front of you. Obviously it stops bullets, but you can also fire it forward at close range. 

What, like it’s a basic move in the set? That’s happened a couple of times when I was playing through Foundation but it was from the special power you get on that level, ie there was a particular rock formation it worked on.

@ZOK

I think you have to unlock it through a mission, but I can’t remember if it’s an optional one. It must be I guess, as you have to do one of those whitespace tutorial levels when you first get it. 

If my memory serves, you get it by completing that mini obstacle course which is in some rooms just off from that huge generator area. I remember trying to beat the timer when I first reached it and was incredibly frustrated, only to realise I could literally fly through it later in the game...probably the intention.

4 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

There's one enemy that I wouldn't like to face at all without Shield - the one that wafts around like a smoke before appearing when you get close. 

Yeah that one slaughters you in seconds when they scream in your face if you don’t jam Shield up.

I’m pretty sure Shield was on the critical path but it’s been a while since I played and I always explore games at tangents so I probably found it organically anyway

13 hours ago, Number 28 said:

If my memory serves, you get it by completing that mini obstacle course which is in some rooms just off from that huge generator area. I remember trying to beat the timer when I first reached it and was incredibly frustrated, only to realise I could literally fly through it later in the game...probably the intention.

That makes sense, I tried that mission early on and haven’t bothered going back as I thought it would just be some power ups or points, neither of which I particularly need. I’ll give it another go!

2 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Yeah that one slaughters you in seconds when they scream in your face if you don’t jam Shield up.

I’m pretty sure Shield was on the critical path but it’s been a while since I played and I always explore games at tangents so I probably found it organically anyway

Funnily enough I’ve not found them to be an issue anywhere in the game, they seem pretty easy to spot and launch smash…with the exception of the optional Tomassi fight. I think every time I’ve died in that fight it’s been one of those going off next to me while I’m looking at the boss.

So after going back to complete that obstacle course, I realised that why I was failing it was because I was trying to go back into the starting room at the end through the locked door and getting the ‘time’s up agent’ spiel, not turning round and seeing the shutter had opened to the Object of Power. Doh!

Interesting though that they can have a significant combat mechanic as totally optional and it’s still a great game without it. Great design.

On 31/10/2021 at 10:01, ZOK said:

I’ve not found it boring at all, it just seems like the other missions in the game to me.

I found it a lot of things, but I certainly did not find it boring. I hated the big fight at the end:

Spoiler

Any boss fight where you chip away at the boss' health bar only for An Event to occur where it is immediately refilled makes me froth with rage, not to mention the army of cunts it randomly throws at you at the same time. Made the whole experience 1/10 for me, I turned the difficulty all the way down just for that section because I was in danger of uninstalling the game :lol:

YES! That thing in your spoiler! That!

Spoiler

Not least because you might be in a situation where you're managing your own health because, you know, you're not great at games and you're 10% ahead of him, thinking you might do it and then WHAMMO! fuck you!

Or in a game with cooldowns you fire off your best special and it doesn't matter AT ALL because he immediately gets it back but you're now defenceless.

6 hours ago, Dudley said:

YES! That thing in your spoiler! That!

Hide contents

Not least because you might be in a situation where you're managing your own health because, you know, you're not great at games and you're 10% ahead of him, thinking you might do it and then WHAMMO! fuck you!

Or in a game with cooldowns you fire off your best special and it doesn't matter AT ALL because he immediately gets it back but you're now defenceless.

well it was really hard, so maybe it’s a good boss fight? Maybe I’ll go back and defeat him on a harder difficulty.

19 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I found it a lot of things, but I certainly did not find it boring. I hated the big fight at the end:

Hide contents

Any boss fight where you chip away at the boss' health bar only for An Event to occur where it is immediately refilled makes me froth with rage, not to mention the army of cunts it randomly throws at you at the same time. Made the whole experience 1/10 for me, I turned the difficulty all the way down just for that section because I was in danger of uninstalling the game :lol:

Is this the one with the power cores hidden in boxes that you have to get out of hiss controlled cupboards or something, and the only safe space is a control room?

I’ve not done that final one yet, although from a couple of goes I think a good strategy is to take over a ranger or two, then he seems to fight them and ignore you until they die.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Is this the one with the power cores hidden in boxes that you have to get out of hiss controlled cupboards or something, and the only safe space is a control room?

I’ve not done that final one yet, although from a couple of goes I think a good strategy is to take over a ranger or two, then he seems to fight them and ignore you until they die.

that’s an early stage, but yeah. You have to fight him later and it *tim Rogers voice* sucks

15 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

that’s an early stage, but yeah. You have to fight him later and it *tim Rogers voice* sucks

Oh, that’s annoying. I’ve done the other three similar ones, I thought that was the final stage.

The final boss of the Alan Wake DLC is hard, but it's not that bad. Fully-upgraded multi-launch absolutely smashes the dude to pieces, you just have to keep mobile.

1 hour ago, K said:

The final boss of the Alan Wake DLC is hard, but it's not that bad. Fully-upgraded multi-launch absolutely smashes the dude to pieces, you just have to keep mobile.

Yeah I didn’t find him that bad at all.

The (optional) boss who is a complete cnut is 

Spoiler

The mould

who I only eventually beat after a ridiculous war of attrition and it was a Pyrrhic victory as I died seconds later (one thing I really liked about this game is if you die immediately after killing a boss it still ticks the quest off as completed, think I must have done it about 3 times in total!).

@dreamylittledream

I really struggled with that one when first playing the game on PS4, but revisiting it on Series X, I left him until last and killed him first time. Very hard-hitting, so it was actually quite close, but I was putting out so much damage by that point of the game that he never stood a chance.