Control. Latest weirdness from Remedy.

Cosmic_Guru

45 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

It's a small thing, but I like that fast travel is explicitly stated to be one of Jesse's abilities, rather than just a game concession.

I rarely use fast travel in games because it often just feels like a "skip gameplay" button. A little narrative finessing goes a long way for me.

Hear hear. I had the same thing with Morrowind. Some towns had huge bugs called stilt riders traveling between them, which you could ride for a fee. Not all towns though, but then you had the alternative of visiting a mages guild and paying a mage to teleport you to a mages guild in another town. It totally worked for me in making the world feel extremely immersive - I found myself studying the map to work out a route using various stilt rider and mages guild stops to arrive as close to my objective as possible. The last bit you had to walk (and explore using directions from NPCs that you had written down in your journal because there were no markers on-screen showing you where to go). I was so into that game.

Then came Oblivion which allowed you to simply travel between every town from the get-go by pressing A after selecting it on your map, and to every other location you had already visited. It lost all the feeling of immersion and exploration Morrowind had, making it a very diluted experience. The series never recovered imo.

I finished this last night. Or rather I finished the Foundation DLC after having finished the main game a week or so back..

Loved the core game and enjoyed the Alan Wake DLC, but found Foundation to be extremely tedious.

On 05/02/2022 at 11:42, pinholestar said:

Pierce and Launch are all you need, ultimately to the detriment of the combat variety, because once you've got the timings down that combo will destroy pretty much everything the game throws at you.

I used shatter a lot. With the choke mods it can do a lot of damage at medium distances.

Seems most people picked their favourite form and then didn't really experiment? I wish they'd made it possible to switch between any of the forms without diving into the menu. e.g. spin was useful for more attritional combat, e.g. with fast moving enemies, but it wasn't worth pausing the game just to switch forms briefly.

Combat is super fun all the same, it's all about staying mobile and using your powers for the most part. Which makes it a "shooter" which actually isn't too annoying to play with a controller, accuracy isn't really the order of the day.

I think the game does a fair bit to inadvertently discourage you from experimenting with weapons, ie making it a faff to switch between guns, making upgrades really expensive, giving you slightly dull mods that just boost your energy or a damage so that you stick with your gun with the level 5 damage mod, etc.

It’s interesting that most people seem to stick to one or two weapons because they feel overpowered, but it also seems like everyone chooses different weapons. The game just needed to give you a little nudge every so often to encourage you to use a new gun. 

2 hours ago, FishyFish said:

I finished this last night. Or rather I finished the Foundation DLC after having finished the main game a week or so back..

Loved the core game and enjoyed the Alan Wake DLC, but found Foundation to be extremely tedious.

I finished the main game last week and was looking forward to the DLC but found the increased difficulty and new enemies a right ballache so I’ve passed on it. 

15 minutes ago, Chooch said:

I finished the main game last week and was looking forward to the DLC but found the increased difficulty and new enemies a right ballache so I’ve passed on it. 

I didn't mind the Alan Wake DLC, although I left the end boss until I'd gone back to the main game and tanked-up on more abilities. It wasn't difficult in the end.

Foundation introduces those annoying axe-wielding gits though. While not too hard to dispatch, they zip about all over the place and can flank you quite easily, especialy if they have numbers. I died more to them than to anything else in the game - possible helped by the fact that in a lot of encounters you can be in enclosed spaces when fighting them.

Foundation had a lot of dull caves to traverse, some (IMO) teduous platforming bits in the Astral Plane - which just seemed to consist mostly of levitating across / up to numerous blocks of floating stone with a bunch of axe-wielders to fight on a regular basis, or growing / shooting crystal platforms / barriers - and (again, IMO) a very dull final boss section.

I found it a big disappointment after the main game.

2 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

What is the recommended order of play for the DLC? I've seen conflicting stuff online in the reddit etc.

The Alan Wake DLC felt a lot more integrated into the main storyline, even if it's effectively a big side-quest. Foundation felt much more seperate, which is why I left it until after I completed the main storyline.

The Foundation doesn’t unlock until after you’ve finished the campaign IIRC.

AWE is available early on and now acts like a side quest but as they both can be a little tricky they are best played after you’ve finished the story and are more powered up in my opinion.

FWIW I really enjoyed both of them, although AWE was a bit disappointing as I was hoping we’d see a little more of Bright Falls.

I thought Foundation was great! I thought I’d played it before finishing the main game though, but maybe I’m getting mixed up on the ordering.

I loved the AWE too, although I knew nothing about Alan Wake.

Thought Foundation was the weaker one of the two tbf. 

Apart from 

Spoiler

The abandoned sector bit that sank into the foundation, that was pretty cool. 

Wasn't a fan of the whole shape/fracture thing at all though and felt the whole expac went on a bit too long tbh. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished.  Loved it! Enjoyed the creepy opening of the story and how it was slowly revealed.  Took the rll hive mind advice and upgraded the telekinesis first which heled with the early difficulty.  After that its been a nice consistent challenge, only really dying when I didn't pay attention. Exploration was enjoyable (I don't get peoples complaints about the map?  Mixture of the signs and the map made it fine to navigate.) Once I got a hand of the combat I felt badass as fk, levitating, launching 3 projectiles etc! Enjoyed how the story panned out and need to read up on the hundreds of collectables. 

Now to mop up some side missions and start AWE.

I'd say both DLC can be skipped. AWE is closely tied to Alan Wake, FOUNDATION unnecessarily explains some stuff and gives an NPC a little story. Also, both are barely any good. Go play something else entirely.

21 minutes ago, df0 said:

I'd say both DLC can be skipped. AWE is closely tied to Alan Wake, FOUNDATION unnecessarily explains some stuff and gives an NPC a little story. Also, both are barely any good. Go play something else entirely.

8 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I enjoyed both of the DLCs (I’ve never played Alan Wake), and disagree completely.

I'm thinking of ordering Elden Ring for a laugh.  I reckon I could play thru AWE quickly enough as I'm powered up well enough and its still fresh.  Maybe skip the foundation for a rainy day.  I did play Alan Wake back in the day. 

You’ll probably get a lot more out of it than me then, and it’s the better of the two, but as I say I thought they were both great. Just more environments for doing the Control thing.

Finished AWE in one sitting - enjoyed it, the new light/dark dynamic never outstayed its welcome. Can see how people might be a little disappointed - i was hoping they'd have mocked up part of the town itself for you to mess about in.  Think i'll move on to Elden Ring for a bit and pop back and do the foundation when I've given up on that!

Maybe put it to one side until you get a craving to telekinetically throw things at people, then do the DLC? It's one of those games that's quite pleasing to just piss about in, and the DLC is a more engaging excuse to do that than the endgame secret-finding crawl.

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Maybe put it to one side until you get a craving to telekinetically throw things at people, then do the DLC? It's one of those games that's quite pleasing to just piss about in, and the DLC is a more engaging excuse to do that than the endgame secret-finding crawl.

the main thing that annoyed me about AWE was the yellow tarpaulin markers showing you the way to go. Clearly an add to to the complaints about navigation problems in the main game. The obvious pointers annoy me in games sometimes. 

• 5 months later...

I started this on Series X recently and I’m really enjoying it. The beginning was slightly odd as I couldn’t help but try to play it as a cover shooter as you’re quite weak and underpowered. However, there’s no snap to cover or shoulder swap for aiming, so initially I don’t think it plays well. As you get stronger, then the game improves and I didn’t feel the need to try and play it as a cover shooter. It’s also rather gorgeous to look at. I loved the mission to find the phone.

Edited by skondo

• 1 month later...

Don’t know if this is a bug or I’m simply missing something, but having cleansed a merry go round horse I’ve dropped into an astral plane challenge where I have to use evade to dodge closing walls. The problem is that I don’t have evade, even the screen prompt says ‘_to evade’.

Any ideas? I’ve looked online and it seems to suggest it should be ‘b’ to evade, but I just jump.

• 4 weeks later...