Sable - Out now on PC/Game Pass. Eurogamer Recommended.

Sarlaccfood

Looks good - apart from the Mobius reference it reminds me of Halo/Destiny, Gravity Rush, Journey and Furi.

Hope Japanese Breakfast are contributing a few songs to the soundtrack - fits with the fact their last LP was going to be a sci-fi concept album.

I'm not completely taken with the art style. It's almost hitting the right Moebius-esque buttons, but it's done really harshly, and for me the lighting is done way too crudely.

I dunno - I hope it'll work out on longer views, as it's just the sort of game I like.

8 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

It's *too* similar to Moebius' work for me. Unless it was done with his blessing or collaboration (difficult, I realise), then it feels like stealing someone else's work, no matter how nice it looks.

Moebius isn't mentioned on the game's website, so I'd hazard a guess he hasn't given it his blessing. It's a bit off that the developers are so overtly copying someone else's aesthetic - it's like that new game by Avalanche that completely rips off Simon Stalenhag's work. There seems to be this weird attitude with a lot of game developers - present company excluded - that it's OK to just use someone else's style without crediting them. It's not like Moebius or Stalenhag are obscure artists, especially among the games' target audience.

The design of the machine in the Mouse Trap board game of the '70s was a blatant rip off of the work of Rube Goldberg but apparently a style of artwork is not sufficient to claim intellectual property rights and he could not sue the game's designer.

10 hours ago, K said:

Moebius isn't mentioned on the game's website, so I'd hazard a guess he hasn't given it his blessing. It's a bit off that the developers are so overtly copying someone else's aesthetic - it's like that new game by Avalanche that completely rips off Simon Stalenhag's work. There seems to be this weird attitude with a lot of game developers - present company excluded - that it's OK to just use someone else's style without crediting them. It's not like Moebius or Stalenhag are obscure artists, especially among the games' target audience.

I mean, to be fair, it would be a little difficult for Moebius to give his blessing. But yeah, it did feel a bit off when the developers, on being pressed for their influences, was to opt for a nice and broad 'French and Belgian comics', before going on to suggest that Japanese cartoons and specifically Studio Ghibli of all things were the primary influence.

Despite all that I do desperately want to play this, as every other aspect of the game could be utter crap and I'd still enjoy it if it meant I got to explore a Moebius-like aesthetic in 3D, and I am willing to cut the studio a little bit of slack as they are only a two-man band, much as that shouldn't get them off the hook.

13 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Looks good - apart from the Mobius reference it reminds me of Halo/Destiny, Gravity Rush, Journey and Furi.

Hope Japanese Breakfast are contributing a few songs to the soundtrack - fits with the fact their last LP was going to be a sci-fi concept album.

https://pitchfork.com/news/japanese-breakfast-soundtracks-new-video-game-sable/

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

I mean, to be fair, it would be a little difficult for Moebius to give his blessing. But yeah, it did feel a bit off when the developers, on being pressed for their influences, was to opt for a nice and broad 'French and Belgian comics', before going on to suggest that Japanese cartoons and specifically Studio Ghibli of all things were the primary influence.

They should totally do a Spartakus and The Sun Beneath The Sea game:

• 3 years later...

According to the Xbox press conference thread this is just another mediocre game pass game that no one would waste their time on if you actually had to pay for it. 

I mean, it could well turn out to be a steaming turd but I think it looks quite nice and hope it is fun to play with it. 

Just played the demo. I thought I’d read it was about 3 hours long and I’d get a chance to explore a bit but I had that wrong.

It’s basically a bunch of fetch quests with some self-indulgent writing that mostly serves to frustrate. There’s literally a line of text that you have to click past that says “we talk for a while about nothing in particular”. I mean, why add that.

The collision detection on climbing is a bit shonky and it all feels rather floaty.

My expectations for this game have been tempered.

I've really enjoyed the demo, though it does hammer home the importance of hiring a good writer. That dialogue (particularly the inner monologues) is... Not great. Wonderful environment to just wander around, though, really pleasant "ambient" gaming.

Tried the demo on Series X but ooof what's up with the framerate? I'm intrigued to see more but I don't think I can play it like this. I sit pretty close to my 4k telly and I suspect that doesn't help when trying to stomach this.

Is it the frame-rate, or the frame-rate that bothers you?

I appreciate that reads like nonsense, so for clarity: is it the general 3D world performance that is bothering you, or the key-frame-based animation (presumably done to evoke a cel-animation sensation, much as modern Guilty Gear does)? I found the latter a little uncomfortable feeling, but the general performance felt like a flat 30fps to me which didn't bother me given the lack of fast-paced gameplay. Though I do have VRR, so that may have been covering it.

I played this on a One S and it was very ropey. Twitchy shadows (couldn't work out if this was a stylistic choice or a glitch), uneven frame rate, didn't save progress between sessions and the second session glitched out in the intro animation and left me floating in the sky.

It can look beautiful one moment and completely bland the next. Also, the demo is either keeping it's cards very close to the table, or there isn't much to actually do in the game beyond fetch quests. If it's a gameplay light, living gallery sort of a game like Abzu or Journery where you just make your way through nice environments at your own pace then it spends way too much time telling you where to go and what to do.

Uninstalled now but I'll give it another try when it's released.

Apparently the PC demo has been patched to support 60fps now, which may help anyone who struggled with the 30fps of the initial version.

• Sarlaccfood changed the title to Sable - Out now on PC/Game Pass. Eurogamer Recommended.