Sable - Out now on PC/Game Pass. Eurogamer Recommended.

Sarlaccfood

As far as I know the game runs at 60 on series x but the main character is animated to look like she’s running at 12fps. Technically all 60 but it’s the stylistic choice. It doesn’t quite work.

I don't mind that choice myself, some animations do seem to be kind of missing or in need of tidying up though. I'm not sure the demo does the game a huge amount of favours as it seems a bit rough around the edges in general at the moment, particularly the jumping, climbing and camera. It's not great at communicating what it wants you to do either, the compass should help but at times it wasn't showing objectives at all for me.

If they can get it tightened up in general I still think it'll be a lovely game to potter about and relax in, even if it's not likely to be anything remarkable mechanically.

11 hours ago, Strafe said:

As far as I know the game runs at 60 on series x but the main character is animated to look like she’s running at 12fps. Technically all 60 but it’s the stylistic choice. It doesn’t quite work.

Nope, it’s 30 at best. Can tell easily when you move the camera. 

It seems potentially nice, but it’s too wordy - a game like this should be more like Ico and communicate without reams of text. 

Also, no 60 no sale. I can’t do 30 anymore, it’s not the fucking ‘00s. 

• 2 months later...
  • Sarlaccfood changed the title to Sable - Releases Sept 23rd on PC/Game Pass

if you loved Ico and SOTC then this really has that magic. 

The art style alone and wonderful changing colour palettes through the day night cycle are just sublime. Music is awesome too.

Its a very meditative and tranquil experience and really has that sense of wonder and exploration in an open world without the usual hand holdy stuff.

I loved ICO and hated SOTC and at the moment it hasn't grabbed me. I do really like the art style in the day, however I feel at night it's a bit too washed out, also I'm not really that keen on the character animation running at about 15fps. I'm playing on a Series X and the performance is pretty poor though, constant frame hitches and quite a lot of pop in. Also the camera has a tendancy to get stuck on objects when you are riding your little hover bike about if you aren't careful.

I'll persevere but I must be honest I am tempted to jack it in and hope there is a patch incoming that will sort out the performance.

Also had a quick go and found the frame-rate (on a 3080 on PC) to be horrible.  Even with G-Sync enabled it was very off putting.  I cant tell if its the animation rate, or the actual FPS, but I found it unbearable.  I also got stuck in a menus twice in 15 minutes, unable to quit out (XboxOne pad button and the backspace key both failed to do their jobs!)  Too many games to play right now - so uninstalled it.

1 hour ago, Dave White said:

The art style alone and wonderful changing colour palettes through the day night cycle are just sublime. Music is awesome too.

Its a very meditative and tranquil experience and really has that sense of wonder and exploration in an open world without the usual hand holdy stuff.

Sounds right up my street.

1 hour ago, Dave White said:

I was looking forward to this anyway but these comments have really peaked my interest.

(I was expecting the music to be good as it's by the always excellent Japanese Breakfast.)

19 minutes ago, Strafe said:

If I hated the demo I’ll probably not get along with the full game, right?

Probably not.

I'm in the same boat. The starting area's annoyed the hell out of me, the initial bike's a piece of shit and some asshole kid's demanding beetles. The jumping doesn't feel like it has any weight to it at all, the version of a pin system they have for navigation is awkward and that deliberately cinematic 10-ish frames per second of animation on the characters looks terrible. Also, the game bugged out within ten minutes and stopped allowing me to talk with people or interact with objects, and the performance on a Series X is full of hitches and stutters.

Oh, and at night when the interaction bug hit me I was wondering if the bleached out look was unintentional too, like a filter had accidentally stayed active from the cavern I was exiting. I mean, it's an impressive achievement for a two man team, but unfortunately nothing about it has grabbed me off the bat aside from a lovely font choice for dialogue.

I’m happy to wait for them to iron things out a bit, as I’ve had my fill of chill indie sci-fi after just finishing Haven. That’s a game that also seemed quite divisive but I really enjoyed most of it.

I'm out of the first area and have done a couple of things, but the performance is really poor, it's just hitching all over the place. I'm going to leave it and wait for a patch (or two) because there is definitely a really enjoyable game there and I don't want it ruined by the technical issues.

• Sarlaccfood changed the title to Sable - Out now on PC/Game Pass. Eurogamer Recommended.