Sable - Out now on PC/Game Pass. Eurogamer Recommended.

Sarlaccfood

I've just tootled around a bit in the opening area and it's lovely. Yes the scenery's a bit jerky but I can live with that. The deliberately low FPS character animation doesn't bother me at all, it makes it feel like an interactive anime, which I'm sure is the idea.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

I’ll allow it.

Pique rllmuk.

sables animation is a weird one when she runs, its going for that 80's cartoon jank, doesn't bother me but can see how it will split the pack for sure.

Spent a couple of hours and really enjoying the pace of it. Cant decide if having no combat is a good or bad decision.

• Sarlaccfood changed the title to Sable - Out now on PC/Game Pass. Eurogamer Recommended.

Alas, the game has not left a good first impression at all. 

On PC at least, the controller settings seems absolutely fucked up for me. First time of loading, the controller refused to work at all, second time I had limited control, third time it seemed to control in the game, but wouldn't work at all in the menu settings. 

So, that's a big old 'fuck off, I haven't got time to waste on this sort of stuff'.

It looks like it could be interesting - I'm not entirely set on the graphic style - I can see what they're doing, but what works well on a 2d page drawn my Moebius sometimes feels a little sterile in 3d. The half-frame rate of Sable doesn't bother me particularly, but I don't think it works effectively when everything else runs at a smooth 60. Either you do the whole game in a similarly staccato fashion or just don't bother?

I dunno. 

It's rare that games annoy me from the off, and it has done. And it's a pity, because there's love, care and some really impressive stuff going on. I would have preferred them to hold off another few months and get things better, but I can only imagine that wasn't an option. 

I'll wait for a few patches and see what happens I guess.

Had similar controller weirdness on PC but it seemed to resolve itself and have since had no problems. 

Ive played through the first section (make your macguffin etc) and so far it’s a bit underwhelming but quite intriguing. I’ll put it down to boring tutorial syndrome and crack on over the weekend. 

Well I bounced off the demo hard. Just didn't do nothing. 

Tonight though. It's got me, yes it's a bit shonky on occasion even on Series X, but it looks and sounds so nice now I'm out exploring the world. 

It does have strong Ico and SOTC vibes too, and I'm looking forward to exploring the world more.  

I don't quite know if this is amazing or terrible having just finished the tutorial area to head out into the world.

(Series X)

It's technically and mechanically bit of a mess. So rough around the edges. The jump is a bit floaty (I guess forgiving could be applied but it feels odd). The camera gets stuck in/on things all the time flicking into a first person view of a wall. The graphics have lots of flickering, odd rendering issues and all sorts of frame drops and slow down. The speeder bike is all over the place, clipping through stuff.

But, I'm also loving it despite all that. The music is really nice and atmospheric. It looks stunning, like nothing else in style (although I'll say the night-time visuals don't have the same impact). And just wandering, climbing, jumping is enjoyable.

Sort of a love hate thing right now I guess. Mostly love but my god I I'd love to hear what the devs think about it really without a publicity filter. To get their take on its performance. It seems so odd to be putting something out that just feels like it's missing that final pass to ensure it runs okay on the target consoles (PC is a trickier proposition).

I've just done the opening segment and I'm on my way.  Quite enjoying it, enough to keep going until I competed the opening. 

I like the art style on the whole. Night definately looks a little too flat in the tutorial area. See how it goes as the game opens up.  It would be nice if the rendering was flawless, without pop in and frame rate issues.  It's really begging for a totally pristine presentation.

I'm really enjoying the lack of combat. Who needs that!

Also, glowing runes on ruins are becoming a trope that cheeses me off. With this game's art style it was surely an opportunity for some other form of visual queue.

Busy this weekend but hopefully I'll return to it Sunday night.

I really like the setting and set up and all the spiritual nonsense surround the bike and your Gliding and all that. Plus the art style is lovely and the music is appropriately... Not whimsical but it fits the rest of the game.

It's the technical side that lets it down, as most people have said. It's not even the frame rate, it seems to be the game hitching when it's streaming the world. It also baffles me that nearly 30 years into 3d gaming we still consistently get games with fucking awful cameras.

I gave this a go, expecting to be all over it but it left me cold. I'm honestly not a fan of the visual style, for some reason. Normally I adore devs who go for their own unique vision and style but this just seems like it's made of 90s clip art in 3D, all done in all shades of reddish brown. 

The 12 fps style animation for the character is annoying me as well :( 

Giving it a rest for a while and will try to see if I think different of it next time. 

On 24/09/2021 at 07:34, moosegrinder said:

It's the technical side that lets it down, as most people have said. It's not even the frame rate, it seems to be the game hitching when it's streaming the world. It also baffles me that nearly 30 years into 3d gaming we still consistently get games with fucking awful cameras.

AFAIK the developers of this game are pretty much FOTB which probably explains why their game is in this technical state.

Sounds like a game to experience in a few years time once they've managed to polish it to a contemporary standard.

I've been trying to work out why the 12fps animations in this look so bad compared to something like Quake which had a similar low frame rate animations (and still does if you turn off animation interpolation in the re-release). 

After playing for a few hours last night I think it's because the character model positions are updated at whatever the overall frame rate is but the animations are locked to 12 fps. The two conflict with each other so the animation seems jerky and inconsistent. 

Compare this to Quake where the characters animations AND positioning were both updated at the lower frame rate and the camera moves at the higher frame rate. Maybe you don't like the stop motion style enemy movement but there's no visual inconsistency so it all looks intentional (I love the animations in Quake!). 

I think the running animation in Sable looks really good when the camera is behind the character, and it's probably because the character is at a fixed point on the screen and you don't notice it moving at one frame rate relative to the camera and animating at another.

I like the idea of it and it works for me some of the time. The way it's handled is just inconsistent.

It's a problem in traditional animation too where you might have the camera panning at 24fps and character animations at 12fps, the shots had to be carefully planned to avoid it clashing.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Played a little bit, thought it was crap tbh, really boring and over written. Don’t care for the visual style either, and the animation just looks wrong. The music is nice. 

Yeah I think I feel the same, it seems ok but the actual experience of playing is not very engaging; keep getting stuck on scenery, the jumping/climbing is clunky, and your little speeder bike thing is slow and sluggish. It looked a bit like something in the vein of journey that I’d love but it’s just very uninteresting to play. 

Going to try Kena instead I think. 

I'm loving this. Total chill BOTW style moseying around a huge, mysterious environment. Stumbled across so many memorable moments and areas. Have zero interest in framerate chat when I'm climbing an upside down crashed spaceship that just burst out of a sand dune.