Sable - Out now on PC/Game Pass. Eurogamer Recommended.

Sarlaccfood

This didn't leave a great first impression. The opening had a terrible framerate (which did get a bit better when I restarted the machine) and there's a terrible jerkiness when you pan the camera too much, which i have a habit of doing. I dropped through the floor entirely when I had the tutorial prompt about crouching. I fell quite a long way down through multiple floors and was still there when I reloaded the game. A shame as the aesthetic and music were all really nice. I'll come back if there's reports of it getting better and listen to the soundtrack on streaming instead.

I'm enjoying exploring and climbing stuff. Although sometimes there doesn't seem to be much (any) reward in a few places I've been.

I couldn't recommend it to anyone though. The performance when really exploring is terrible. Pauses, shit frame rate. And the sky often jumps between night and day as you move the camera, feels almost like it forgot to update it until you look around

I've put about 4 hours in to this now and while it is a huge mess, those environments are still very beautiful and I am enjoying roaming around guided only by whatever weird shapes I see on the horizon.

Single figure frame rates in places on the One S though, so I might have to explore some areas on PC... 

Also, like the Ascent, another beautiful game that can't be arsed with even the basics of usability. Get a new quest? We'll switch your active quest to the new one for you... Annoying but somewhat understandable. Put a way point marker on your map? We'll set your active quest to nothing... Why!? It makes no sense? 

Also has a manual save option that may or may not actually save the game.

6 hours ago, matt0 said:

I have this constant nagging feeling that if I fall through the environment at any point the save system might strand me there, stuck in the geometry forever... 

I mean, even in this hypothetical scenario of a glitch that hasn't actually happened, you would just fast travel out of it...

1 hour ago, matt0 said:

There's fast travel? 

Yes. No unlock or anything. Not sure it’s ever actually explained though. You…

Spoiler

Simply click a location you’ve discovered on the map and can jump right there

4 hours ago, sandman said:

Loving this on my Series X, not a single technical issue so far. Only problem is I have is the unfathomable map. 

Really? Running at a steady frame rate with no hiccups!? I’ve not seen actual bugs myself but I’d love to think it can run consistently for at least some random magical people.

7 hours ago, sandman said:

Loving this on my Series X, not a single technical issue so far. Only problem is I have is the unfathomable map. 

4 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Has there been a patch or do you have a magical Series X? Mine was frame hitching all the time last week.

It seems OK to me too. If you have a TV that will do VRR then that might be worth investigating. 

I’ve not seen stutters in the starting area while doing the first few quests. Whereas in the demo doing absolutely anything (like walking forwards when you wake up) was stuttering all over the shop.

17 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Really? Running at a steady frame rate with no hiccups!? I’ve not seen actual bugs myself but I’d love to think it can run consistently for at least some random magical people.

Yep. Its a pretty cheap monitor that's 4k but doesn't do HDR I think

OK so I was all set to love this and I've played it for about three hours today. But it's still a little rough, a reload had a puzzle I was working on not save and all the wrong gear on me. And for some reason it made me motion sick in the first time for ages for a 3D game.

I'm going to wait for it to be patched a bit before returning to it.

I heard in a podcast today that this doesn't experience any frame rate issue or hitching if you set it to 30FPS mode, and the style of the game means that 30FPS mode isn't that out of place, either. I still definitely want to get round to it at some point.

23 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I heard in a podcast today that this doesn't experience any frame rate issue or hitching if you set it to 30FPS mode, and the style of the game means that 30FPS mode isn't that out of place, either. I still definitely want to get round to it at some point.

How do you do this? I can’t see an option for it anywhere.

4 minutes ago, Darren said:

How do you do this? I can’t see an option for it anywhere.

I'm not sure, sorry - haven't downloaded it yet myself. I'm assuming the guy on the podcast was playing on Xbox.

I played it for a bit and quite like the style and the type of game it is, even if it is a bit janky. It reminds me of Panzer Dragoon, but instead of being the guy who rides the dragon you’re one of the plebs scuttling around this dead world. 

They’ve even paid homage to the Saturn by making it run poorly, with horrible pop-in! 

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

No, there's no way I can see to change the frame rate or quality or anything like that.

PC you can change the FPS and I did set it down to 30fps. Like I said, was good for two hours and then felt the need to throw up. Might be just bad luck for me.

I’m loving this. Just loving it. Not had any frame rate issues (I’m on series x) but have fallen through the floor twice (but instantly got out without trouble). Can’t really complain when you compare it to some big budget RPGs. Was this really only made by 2 people?

It’s simultaneously calming and moorish. I keep coming back to it after I think I’m done for the day. 

Anyway, love it.