IGNORED

Sable - Out now on PC/Game Pass. Eurogamer Recommended.

Sarlaccfood

On 04/10/2021 at 00:24, LowCostMonkey said:

Was this really only made by 2 people?

Started off as a core team of two, but in the later stages there were between six and ten people working on it at any given time. Exclude all the external stuff a game needs in terms of publishing/marketing etc (and not counting contributions to map/UI programming and logo design), it's 13 people on the main development team. Still a small group, but more than two. 

sableeee.jpg

So I spoke too soon when I said I hadn't got any frame rate issues. I've found that when I upgraded my hover bike to the electric bike, the frame rate plummetted while I was riding. So much so that i changed the bike to a different one. I do stil notice it dip a bit when riding the bike but none when I'm on foot. But yeah the electric bike really hit it hard. I've also had to restart the game to get some beatles to appear.

Still loving it though. Just did the quest where you...

Spoiler

learn about the solar system. That answered questions whilst raising new ones. Such a good cocktail :) 

I gave this a brief go on Series X and the performance (or something) makes me feel nauseous. I don't think this is helped by the half framerate animations on Sable. Panning the camera seems to just cause the framerate to tank and the more I played, the more uncomfortable I felt.

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I gave this a brief go on Series X and the performance (or something) makes me feel nauseous. I don't think this is helped by the half framerate animations on Sable. Panning the camera seems to just cause the framerate to tank and the more I played, the more uncomfortable I felt.

I was the same, I ended up stop playing because it was making me feel queasy.

Its a shame because it feels like there is a seed of a great, really chilled game, but the technical stuff just gets in the way too much.  Hopefully it will be patched down the line

On 04/10/2021 at 03:09, PyramidFace said:

Yeah, don't tell the Digital Foundry brigade but this is a really special game. Definitely one of the best things I've played in recent years.

48 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

So I spoke too soon when I said I hadn't got any frame rate issues. I've found that when I upgraded my hover bike to the electric bike, the frame rate plummetted while I was riding. So much so that i changed the bike to a different one. I do stil notice it dip a bit when riding the bike but none when I'm on fun. But yeah the electric bike really hit it hard. I've also had to restart the game to get some beatles to appear.

Still loving it though. Just did the quest where you...

Reveal hidden contents

learn about the solar system. That answered questions whilst raising new ones. Such a good cocktail :) 

Is this game built in Unity?

Unity continues to absolute suck, especially for anything that requires asset streaming. 

I do wonder why it's bad for some people on Series X and not others. As I say it's perfectly fine for me until I changed my bike to the Electic bike and only then when on the bike. I guess the only other factor is tv settings?

Edit: But to those suffering, you definitely have my sympathies. After experiencing it when I had the electric Bike, if that was what it is like all the time for you then it is definitely not going to fun or playable. Hopefully they can figure it out and patch it because it is genuinely a wonderful game (apart from the annoying camera!)

I've been playing it the past couple of nights. Really enjoying it although definitely a bit rough around the edges.

The only thing I don't like personally is the way they've equated darkness to mono-colour. In the daylight everything looks really nice and colourful, at nighttime and indoors it's bland and flat and any lighting just doesn't seem to pop. As you spend about half the game in darkness, or so it seems, it's a weird design choice.

Went back to this tonight, went looking for my bike but every time I went to the location indicated on the map, it wasn't there. Then when I went back to look at the map it indicated a different location. After trying 3 different indicated spots I turned off...

1 hour ago, tobert said:

Went back to this tonight, went looking for my bike but every time I went to the location indicated on the map, it wasn't there. Then when I went back to look at the map it indicated a different location. After trying 3 different indicated spots I turned off...

That happened to me once, I found a good way to fix it was to fast travel somewhere. Your bike will then be there with you (parked in a bike spot if you travel to a town).

I only played for literally 3 minutes but it is pretty janky. the camera felt glitchy, jumping off of a ledge feels like there's no proper animation for the character so it felt like I was playing an alpha or proof of concept, let alone a fully fledged game. 

I think I will keep an eye to see if this stuff gets improved with patches becuase it does look exciting. I can happily pause on it because I have other things to play.

However, it does seem like an odd choice to half-arse the one thing - the main character - that you spend the entire game looking at and controlling.  Unless it's a design choice? But to me a mixing the framerate of the avatar's animation, its movement, and the camera feels janky and broken to me. As above, I feel like it's something incomplete.

I don't understand games design and it's for sure an achievement for a small team but it just seems like an odd choice in terms of resourcing effort.

I downloaded this on day one but have held off playing it until a patch had been released to fix the performance problems, because I found the demo very janky.

Hopefully today’s patch which addresses stuttering and frame drops will help things:

This is such a lovely game. 

The stutters are still present on occasion unfortunately, but it’s perfectly playable.

It’s hugely influenced by Breath of the Wild but they’ve captured the essence of that game beautifully in terms of its underlying charm and incentive to just strike out to the horizon and see what you can find. I love its languid pace and lonely, contemplative air.

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you on Series X who stopped due to performance issues- this had a patch during the week that has been transformative. Still a few drops here and there but so much better. And the bike recall seems to be working properly now too! Sadly, this came just as I was nearing the end, but it made me finish out a few missions I would have left otherwise.

I saw there was a patch, and as said it has improved the performance a lot. No more of those constant hitches. However the game itself is still incredibly buggy to the point that I think I've lost patiences with it.

There are these puzzles you find in ships around the place. Basically they are ripped straight out of a couple of the shrine puzzles in BOTW. There are some  piston like structures that you have to activate that 'should' enable you to project either yourself or an object across the room. However it's a complete lottery as to whether they actually do so. More than half the time you/or the object will just clip through them when they move outwards. I finally managed to get the first ship one done, by basicallly switching them on and off enough times until the game relented and decided that they did actually exist physically. I've got to a second one now, and on this one you need to leave a piston sticking out so that it will stop you/object flying across the room, except it won't for me, I just fly through it as if it's not there, and seemingly I can't get it to work at all. Utter shite, and to be honest I've waited for a few patches now to make the game resonable and to my mind (at least on console) it really shouldn't have been released yet as it's just not up to scratch.

22 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

I saw there was a patch, and as said it has improved the performance a lot. No more of those constant hitches. However the game itself is still incredibly buggy to the point that I think I've lost patiences with it.

There are these puzzles you find in ships around the place. Basically they are ripped straight out of a couple of the shrine puzzles in BOTW. There are some  piston like structures that you have to activate that 'should' enable you to project either yourself or an object across the room. However it's a complete lottery as to whether they actually do so. More than half the time you/or the object will just clip through them when they move outwards. I finally managed to get the first ship one done, by basicallly switching them on and off enough times until the game relented and decided that they did actually exist physically. I've got to a second one now, and on this one you need to leave a piston sticking out so that it will stop you/object flying across the room, except it won't for me, I just fly through it as if it's not there, and seemingly I can't get it to work at all. Utter shite, and to be honest I've waited for a few patches now to make the game resonable and to my mind (at least on console) it really shouldn't have been released yet as it's just not up to scratch.

The worst thing about the puzzles is the scale of them - switch puzzles where all the interactive elements you want to experiment with to solve the puzzle are positioned a minutes walk away from each other in giant chambers.

I finished this a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved it. Simple but in a very relaxing way. I loved how the backstory of the world and the culture of the people is slowly revealed. Really lovely game. Just wished I'd figured out that you could increase your stamina before I was 80% the way through. What a numb nuts.

I’m very very nearly at the end and absolutely love it. Cel shaded space breath of the wild with no enemies? Pump it into my veins.

I could have finished it ages ago but I’m eking it out as long as possible. I’m currently finding all the chum eggs I missed (with the help of a map I found online, I’m not a complete masochist).

Yes it’s very janky but it’s such a labour of love I can’t help but forgive it.

7 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

@Darren and others that have completed it, did you have the bug I posted about with the piston things not having a physical presence?

No, they worked perfectly for me, at least when the penny dropped and I solved the puzzle.

39 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

@Darren and others that have completed it, did you have the bug I posted about with the piston things not having a physical presence?

I might have had that, there was a puzzle with pistons where it felt like I should've landed on one, but I put it down to me not doing it in the right order or not lining something up. Almost every ship puzzle felt like that for me, it was always ambiguous whether I'd done something wrong or whether I'd just been unlucky with a jump or if something had glitched.

I'd recommend just doing a tour of the whole landscape and trying to get masks with as little interaction with the puzzles as possible. I thought they were the weakest part of the game and other than a quick peek to see the interior of the ships I stopped bothering with them about halfway through.

Some of the ship puzzles are a bit frustrating but I have to say that

Spoiler

The Whale

is a fantastic area to explore. Just the sheer scale of that vast interior space, and working out how to get everywhere inside it.