rllmuk
TehStu

Xbox Product Name Placeholder (Project Scarlett)

So is this a proper new Xbox (to put it in PlayStation terms, is this the PlayStation 5?) or a minor upgrade to the One X aimed at enthusiasts?

Just now, df0 said:

So is this a proper new Xbox (to put it in PlayStation terms, is this the PlayStation 5?) or a minor upgrade to the One X aimed at enthusiasts?

I think this highlights the problem, to use yourself as an example. It’s not quite as clear cut as “PlayStation 5”. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

It's not a race they can knowingly choose to win or concede, as they have no way of knowing what exactly Sony is doing with the PS5. It is what it is now, if they want full launch next year and the cases have been designed, the specs are locked.

They're both buying from AMD. There's a very high chance that between that and their developer relationships that both Sony and Microsoft know almost exactly what the other is doing. The relative unknowns will be in system software features etc.

We're talking about boxes using essentially the same silicon from the same manufacturer releasing in the same timeframe for <$500. There's only a finite range of choices given those criteria and there will have been since the outset.

• Upvote 1

I'm just intrigued to know what the GPUs are like. From a PC point of view, whatever hardware Ray tracing gubbins AMD have made for them is really going to be interesting in how it compares with nVidia's stuff.

Can't wait.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

The rumours seem to suggest that PS5 dev kits are currently more capable than the new Xbox kits, but devs are largely putting that down to Sony's development software being more mature and the actual guts of the machines are broadly equal. Both companies have to place bets on where to put the balance of price vs performance, so this talk of, "MS would never let Sony win the spec war again" is largely academic. It's not a race they can knowingly choose to win or concede, as they have no way of knowing what exactly Sony is doing with the PS5. It is what it is now, if they want full launch next year and the cases have been designed, the specs are locked.

As to the reveal... wow, wasn't expecting that. It's a good trailer, the design is different, modern, sleek and should look comfortable in most modern living room setups. The name could well lead to Wii-U style branding problems, in which people are unsure if it's a revision of the current box or a new console in it's own right, I know I had to wait a moment to properly digest what I was looking at.

I am surprised they've shown the box and controller this early though. I had assumed that would be the big reveal moment at the end of what I assume will be their planned reveal party. Still, a good reveal vid and it's nice to get some more details about MS's next console.

Rumours in your head?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I love how people are getting confused over something they’ve not even explained yet!

I reckon the One X will still be part of the lineup once this is out. I’ll wait for them to tell us though, before writing it off as a terrible name.

The name is dull, but I can't see it being a problem in terms of people not realising it's a new console. Apple number their iPhones, but also seem do to OK selling the iPhone XR/XS and iPads under a variety of generic, non-numbered names, along with their laptops, computers, and other hardware. It's a new Xbox that runs all your existing games, but is also loads more powerful and will run new ones as well. I don't see that as being a particularly complex message.

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

They're both buying from AMD. There's a very high chance that between that and their developer relationships that both Sony and Microsoft know almost exactly what the other is doing. The relative unknowns will be in system software features etc.

We're talking about boxes using essentially the same silicon from the same manufacturer releasing in the same timeframe for <$500. There's only a finite range of choices given those criteria and there will have been since the outset.

But somehow Sony are managing to build a console that’s 10-15% more powerful for the same price!

• Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Too late then though, surely. There may be some minor wiggle room on clock speeds, but once you're shipping dev kits, the core tech is locked down.

Yeah, I guess maybe. I don't know the ins and outs and I remember last time that people asserted that the manufacturers needed orders to be placed significantly ahead of manufacturing, so perhaps, yeah. 

I'd have thought they'd be doing anything to not be the weaker system this time around though. 

• Upvote 1

Presumably the idea is that is that the name is more Xbox Series X, alongside Xbox Series S (Lockheart). If/when they do future revisions they'd then be labelled as X2, X3, etc.

14 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

I cant believe people are this stupid.

They were with the WiiU. I remember multiple people coming into our store asking if they could buy the U Pad for their Wii, or asking to buy the Wii Tablet so their kids could play in the car.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Presumably the idea is that is that the name is more Xbox Series X, alongside Xbox Series S (Lockheart). If/when they do future revisions they'd then be labelled as X2, X3, etc.

I am looking forward to X2: Xbox United and X3: The Last Stand

• Upvote 5

I thought Phil said it's name would describe what it is going to provide. 

They were pretty screwed and dug themselves into a dead end with the naming convention pretty much.   

What would you have called it? 

42 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

Its going be either an X or an S, not that hard to grasp.

Works pretty well for iphone XR/XS.

Tesla Model S/X

There are just too many Xs.

• Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

"So it's an Xbox One X Game?"

"No. It's a Series X Game"

Yeah, the granny in GAME won't understand that one at all.

When I worked in Blockbuster I had a guy threaten to sue us for falsely advertising we had something on VHS that we didn't.

His evidence, the "DVD Video" logo.

50 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

I cant believe people are this stupid.

Not in Britain today then?

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

Rumours in your head?

If you're implying that I'm pulling this out of my arse to make Xbox look better, then you're sorely mistaken. I've got my PS5 on pre-order and would personally be delighted if Sony's machine proves to be the more capable of the two machines. I follow a few YouTube channels which have been pretty good at reporting the gaming gossip of the day. I can't remember the exact video and I'm not about to trawl through hours of video footage to find it, but it could have been one of these:

Anyhoo, I'm no authority on this I'm just relaying what I've heard, do with that what you will.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

It’s the X series. So surely it’s going to be a series of consoles at launch with different specs and different price points. Basically a PC tower case with different PC spec options inside. If so, what would that mean for devs?

The Lockheart and Anaconda have the same CPU and SSD specs, and the GPU is easily scalable with shared architecture. So you will have all of the nextgen features in both models but the X will be 4 times more powerful in terms of resolution and fidelity. Basically 1080p vs 4K.

1 minute ago, Robo_1 said:

If you're implying that I'm pulling this out of my arse to make Xbox look better, then you're sorely mistaken. I've got my PS5 on pre-order and would personally be delighted if Sony's machine proves to be the more capable of the two machines. I follow a few YouTube channels which have been pretty good at reporting the gaming gossip of the day. I can't remember the exact video and I'm not about to trawl through hours of video footage to find it, but it could have been one of these:

Anyhoo, I'm no authority on this I'm just relaying what I've heard, do with that what you will.

Yeah pardon me maybe I misunderstood.

i just think we are past rumours now, they sort made sure of that with the info dump last night. 

• Upvote 1

This name pissing contest is horrible. I would've vastly preferred for them to hav ecalled it the Xbox 10 and be done with it. They might have changed upper management at the Xbox division but blimey, why haven't they fired their naming consultants by now?!