rllmuk
TehStu

Xbox Product Name Placeholder (Project Scarlett)

Richard Leadbetter did a good look at some of the footage in that (the hitman stuff) with guestimates about the hardware, which now seems more confirmed.

lets not beat around the bush, its gonna be summit like a ryzen 3700 (8core/16thread), a 5700XT(+ some ray tracing bolted on?), 1tb samsung nvme ssd and ...an amount of ram, 16maybe?..that...that is a pretty nice system right now! never mind when you have that as a fixed spec and can really learn the hardware without the windows overhead.

I really wish that had not made halo cross gen, as they cant use the full hardware!

3 hours ago, 5R7 said:

Richard Leadbetter did a good look at some of the footage in that (the hitman stuff) with guestimates about the hardware, which now seems more confirmed.

lets not beat around the bush, its gonna be summit like a ryzen 3700 (8core/16thread), a 5700XT(+ some ray tracing bolted on?), 1tb samsung nvme ssd and ...an amount of ram, 16maybe?..that...that is a pretty nice system right now! never mind when you have that as a fixed spec and can really learn the hardware without the windows overhead.

I really wish that had not made halo cross gen, as they cant use the full hardware!

How much will all that cost though?

yep, once you add in the rest like £900. BUT, bear in mind, they arn't buying retail ,they are buying direct a custom SOC, in huge volumes, and the other components direct too, in vast volumes.

It could easily be a £499/£449 price at launch. But hey, people pay over a grand for a phone!?!

• Upvote 1

I think if I want it horizontal I’ll have to have the fan facing outwards as it will be in an AV cabinet bench. There’s ventilation at the back but my x and pro still warm up a bit.

So it could well double up as a decent heater in the winter months.

17 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I think if I want it horizontal I’ll have to have the fan facing outwards as it will be in an AV cabinet bench. There’s ventilation at the back but my x and pro still warm up a bit.

So it could well double up as a decent heater in the winter months.

I could get one and upholster it then use it as a sofa.

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Who cares ?. It's the most powerful console they've ever made and they have enough teams to provide content from day one that will melt your eyes. 

Get Xcited.

And bear in mind that you'll only need the hardware - all those teams delivering games for Microsoft will be putting them straight onto Gamepass. And your old controllers still work so you won't need extra peripherals that you may have needed to aid your lie that the console would be played by the whole family. 

They could afford to be the most expensive console because you don't need to buy any games - you effectively get them all for free*

*Not for free, unless you're paid up for 100 years thanks to the gamepass/live conversion fun a few months back. 

5 hours ago, Hitcher said:

They won't be paying anywhere near retail prices though.

Yes, but they also won't be getting them at such a discount that they could go in a £400-500 console. Microsoft and Sony will be getting customised versions of older and slower parts with new stuff like raytracing support added in.

I thought I'd just post some actual numbers from current products. We wont really know about Xbox and it's special sauce until someone leaks the specs though.

- The Bone X is about 175W on load at the wall. The target for the APU is about 150W. The new console will probably need to be about the same. 

- A desktop 3700 is at least 65W. An RX 5700 is at least 200W at full load. The 5700 wont be the same chip design but it will be the same fab technology.

- Clock-wise Bone X is 2.3Ghz/1170Mhz.

- For Series X you're probably looking at half speed Ryzen and RDNA GPU cores compared to PC (~2Ghz/900Mhz) as a starting point.  This does not account for any DXR extras that may have been added.

- The AMD Ryzen™ 7 3780U Microsoft Surface Edition runs at 2.3Ghz/1400Mhz (r7/vega11) at a more constrained TDP. 

From an engineering and marketing perspective they probably want higher clocks than the Bone X. It could reasonably be over/around 3Ghz/1600Mhz. Dev's will still need to employ rendering tricks to do 4k/60 but it's on the table for sure. The price of this and PS5 is gonna be a stinger. Being a one console home might be the financially responsible choice. :P

Xbox one naming convention applied:

Xbox Series 2S All-digital Edition

Xbox Series 2X

Xbox Series 2S

Xbox Series 2

done. Absolutely NO confusion.

None.

3 hours ago, yashiro said:

From an engineering and marketing perspective they probably want higher clocks than the Bone X. It could reasonably be over/around 3Ghz/1600Mhz. Dev's will still need to employ rendering tricks to do 4k/60 but it's on the table for sure. The price of this and PS5 is gonna be a stinger. Being a one console home might be the financially responsible choice. :P

Again, for most here it's just the cost of the series X itself. Even if it's 500 quid, in total that's less than I'd usually pay: 350 / 400 quid for the new console itself + extra controller + as many games as possible. 

PS5 is a different matter of course, as I still need to buy games alongside the console. I'm hoping it doesn't launch with too many irresistible must-buys :lol: (Now that I've said that it will probably launch with Bloodborne 2, Tenchu reboot, Yakuza 7, and Spider-Man 2 :seanr:)

23 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

But the expectation, based on what Uncle Phil has said*, is that yes the old X will also be able to run those games. The disc will probably act as unlock key for the XCloud streaming version.

*About Xbox as a brand not being tied to hadware. Xbox will be everywhere on anything.

Which will be just super when little Jimmy finds out that since he has the average UK internet connection he's at half the speed required to do that in 4k.  Even if streaming was an acceptable way to play action games which it is not.

And then they'll try and take their opened effectively digital copy back for a refund. That'll go well.

• Upvote 2

As well as being confusing, the name also sounds like a hardware upgrade for the XB1 or XB1X to me, as opposed to a brand new console. The aesthetic is very similar to the XB1X, too, despite the change in shape. The fact that it'll (I think?) be entirely backwards compatible exacerbates this as well. It sounds, and looks, like an elite version of the current gen box.

53 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I keep catching myself thinking the name is “Xbox One Series X” which is weird.

Pretty sure Eurogamer reported it originally as exactly this, but they've retrospectively updated their story.

13 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I don’t think this would fit on one of the shelves in my TV unit ffs.

Mine neither. It would go nicely enough behind the TV or on the floor.  It also fits in one of the big drawers in the TV cabinate.  That'll be absolutely fine for airflow.  No problem at all.

Another angle where this is a winner is for kids who are into their PC gaming. It looks like a cool PC and they are therefore far more likely to jump on board. 

With Gamepass PC as well now it’s gonna be really tempting for that group who might want both. 

1 hour ago, Yiggy said:

Another angle where this is a winner is for kids who are into their PC gaming. It looks like a cool PC and they are therefore far more likely to jump on board. 

You think that kids who have gotten into PC gaming are going to be convinced to buy an Xbox because it looks a bit like a PC tower? Like the people who are buying PCs are doing that because they love big metal boxes?

For this to appeal to young people who’ve chosen PC gaming over consoles, it would need full mouse and keyboard support in all games. That’s why a lot of young people watching streamers and stuff on YouTube are choosing PC, because they’re being told by the people they listen to that a mouse and keyboard is more precise and better. Also mod support is a big deal, though mostly for minecraft. I’ve never heard my sons, or any of their friends, or any of the people they watch on YouTube talking about the design of the hardware for a console or PC. They care about content, and how good the hardware they’re using to interact with the PC is. My 12 year old and his friends think the idea of using a controller is a “good meme”, and occasionally do it like a challenge because it’s so rubbish. 

• Upvote 2