rllmuk
TehStu

Xbox Product Name Placeholder (Project Scarlett)

My hope is that Halo Infinite is going to be as essential as Halo CE was back in the day making the console an essential purchase, but to be honest Game Pass is the real killer app - if this launches with Halo and Forza and a couple of others it’s going to be hard to resist. 

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

but to be honest Game Pass is the real killer app - if this launches with Halo and Forza and a couple of others it’s going to be hard to resist. 

Exactly this. Historically on launch you'll see stores selling the £399 console bundled with 3 games and an accessory for £549 or something similar. IT can be hard to get just the console by itself or with a single game. (At least on the high street).

This time you'll have your console. Microsoft will include a month free trial to game pass anyway as they do now. All you have to do is buy the console & you have access to hundreds of Xbox games, including the brand new Halo & Forza that would normally be £50 each.

3 hours ago, Super Craig said:

The GameCube is nearly 20 years old. I think some of us might have changed our setups since then.

I find it hard to believe that while broadband speeds have gotten faster, and tellies have gotten bigger, at the same time everyone's AV unit in the UK has gotten umpteen times smaller :D Is that maybe another reason those mini consoles are so popular? 

Microsoft PR: "people will get a second job to afford a new AV unit for our console!"

Anyway, once pre-orders are up I'm ordering one ASAP. Not because I'm worried they will sell out, but because closer to launch it will most likely be harder to order one without extra games or controllers and stuff. Since I'm Game Pass'ed up until 2033 or thereabouts, and XB1 controllers work with XsX, I just want the console itself and nothing else.

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I find it hard to believe that while broadband speeds have gotten faster, and tellies have gotten bigger, at the same time everyone's AV unit in the UK has gotten umpteen times smaller :D Is that maybe another reason those mini consoles are so popular? 

Microsoft PR: "people will get a second job to afford a new AV unit for our console!"

Anyway, once pre-orders are up I'm ordering one ASAP. Not because I'm worried they will sell out, but because closer to launch it will most likely be harder to order one without extra games or controllers and stuff. Since I'm Game Pass'ed up until 2033 or thereabouts, and XB1 controllers work with XsX, I just want the console itself and nothing else.

In my experience, TV units have shrunk in height as they’ve got wider to accommodate larger TVs. Personally, I’m a bit worried that it won’t fit in my setup. That’s because I’d like to buy one, not because of any trolling bullshit.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Wonder if I can use that to extend Ultimate another month:ph34r:

Unfortunately not. If it's the same codes they put in the consoles now, if you are a current subscriber you can't use them.

7 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

In my experience, TV units have shrunk in height as they’ve got wider to accommodate larger TVs. Personally, I’m a bit worried that it won’t fit in my setup. That’s because I’d like to buy one, not because of any trolling bullshit.

It won't fit in mine. The gap for systems is 13cm. This looks to be almost 15. So I'll either stand it behind the TV or get a new unit.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

You'll probably have a choice between the standard black model and a fancy Project Scarlett variant at launch.

I bought a new ultra modern AV unit earlier this year which has nice large open spaces for ventilation so I'm ready to go.

2 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

Average broadband speed in the UK in 2015 was 28.9Mb. Average speed in the UK in 2019 is 54.2Mb.

This is according to ofcom: 2015 - Page 14 2019

Broadband speeds are improving. There's a reason major companies are chasing game streaming technology now.

During idle and off peak from a small survey.  Even that data shows that over 40% of people can't get 30mbit at peak time, let alone the 40 required. Or 56% outside towns.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I find it hard to believe that while broadband speeds have gotten faster, and tellies have gotten bigger, at the same time everyone's AV unit in the UK has gotten umpteen times smaller :D

Why is this hard to believe? TVs might have bigger screens, but they no longer weigh 20kg+ and require chunky stands. 

In between wall mounting and minimalist fetishism, it’s entirely reasonable that people no longer have what is essentially a chest of drawers under their tellies. 

My TV stand is like pretty much every other one from Ikea. It’s not got the clearance for this thing. 

Yeah, that’s where it’ll have to go. It’s just frustrating having it behind the TV rather than in one of the shelves. I’ve had my consoles behind the TV before and it’s a faff reaching them, changing discs, etc. 

5 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

So it's got a silly name and it's a bit of a funny shape. I remember the old days when a new console which offered high end PC performance for a fraction of the price might be seen as the important part and the reason gamers and gaming media would be discussing it. However the media doesn't seem capable of getting to grips with the fact that this box outclasses PC in ways that PC setups are unable to compare. Something about the I/O speeds between the cpu and gpu completely destroys the PC in comparison. Yes you can brute force with more power via PC components but they cannot match what this will be doing.

Now back to the funny name / where will I put it stuff.

we don’t care about that. Most of us are signed up to gamespass for multiple years, so the “what are the specs, and what does it look like” drivel isn’t important. Where do we put it in our AV setup is where the conversation is at for a reason.

32 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

My TV stand is like pretty much every other one from Ikea. It’s not got the clearance for this thing. 

I've got one from Ikea too and each shelfspace has around 19 centimeters room in height. Maybe AV units are just taller in Holland :)

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

A lot of people don't really have av units I find. TV up on the wall instead. I'm not a fan of that but people love to make the TV the centrepiece of their room.

Mine is on a sideboard. There's room for an XSeX but it would be a touch awkward. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I've got one from Ikea too and each shelfspace has around 19 centimeters room in height. Maybe AV units are just taller in Holland :)

As a Scotsman of diminutive stature I can profess that everything's taller in Holland.

12 hours ago, Hitcher said:

And yet you also need over twice the height of a Switch to be able to dock it so where do all the Switch owners have their Switch?

Behind my sound bar pissing me off because it doesn’t fit anywhere else. 

While the new Xbox wont fit where I've currently got my one X, my ikea TV stand is basically a low wide table so it will happily fit behind the TV. The TV is on a floating stand thing high enough for a disc to fit underneath hopefully the slot is just low enough to allow that to be accessible.

For those who can fit it in or around their AV units in either orientation, will your XboxSex be erect or flaccid?

Vertical all the way. It looks a bit cack on its side.

• Empathy 1

They should sell the prole-spec one like a phone contract when you sign up to a couple of years of Gamepass at a higher pricepoint and get given the console.

Anyhoo, if they truly want to compete with the PC why are there no RGB lights on it? Explain that Micro$oft!

I think MS should take it as a win that people aren’t moaning about there being no games, or it having a stupid peripheral, or anything else of consequence, but about it being slightly too big to fit in an AV cabinet.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

They should sell the prole-spec one like a phone contract when you sign up to a couple of years of Gamepass at a higher pricepoint and get given the console.

Anyhoo, if they truly want to compete with the PC why are there no RGB lights on it? Explain that Micro$oft!

They're doing that already. https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-all-access

Nice one. There's even an option to get an Xbone X now and then upgrade to some form of scarlett (hopefully the proper one) next year, although you have to re-up for another 24 months at that point and give them the Xbone X back. Anyone fancy crunching the numbers on that to figure out if it's a good deal (as opposed to buying both and getting 3 months for gamepass ultimate for £1 and assuming they don't jack the price up to like fifty quid a month next december) or not?