rllmuk
TehStu

Xbox Product Name Placeholder (Project Scarlett)

1 hour ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Also, the Xbox isn't selling well anyway, why would anyone want the new console over the PS5 if they didn't want a XB1 in the first place?

The company's offerings change over time. At one point Sony was selling fuck all PS3's compared to Xbox 360 so they brought about PS+.  Launching a bog standard cosole in the PS4 that just did games was enough to get people to jump to Sony. They kept up the PS+ offerings for a while but look what it is now. 2 Ps4 games. MS have a console that's being outsold worlwide 2 to 1. It's selling more than Xbox 360 did but they're still behind the PS4. So they have GamePass.  We've seen quite a fewPs4  people on here state that the next console they'll jump on first nextgen will be Xbox due to GamePass.  I guess we'll see how that works out. Esepcially with the new studios release games every few months.  It's a very different MS from the start of this Gen.  Just like Sony was a very different company come Ps4 launch to the one that launched the PS3

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The Wii U sold fuck all, so why would anyone want a Switch?

Seeing a lot of derp in this thread.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

yeah perfectly fine thank you, thanks loads for asking in such a nice and non-sarcastic way. 

It’s unsurprising that any kind of alternative opinion would be met in such a way here, and as I mentioned MS First party titles, the big pillars that get bums on seats as in your Halo, Gears, Forza all have micro transaction FTP style economies to accompany their Multiplayer modes. The intention was for CD3 to have one too. 

Forza doesn't have any microtransactions.

And I mean, Uncharted and Last Of Us have microtransactions in their multiplayer economies too (the latter's multiplayer might literally be cleft off into an F2P game). Are these examples with which we can paint an entire first party slate, or is it just that the industry has settled on selling cosmetics in multiplayer as the least worst solution to fund development of stuff like new maps without splitting the userbase, regardless of first party, third party or whatever?

1 minute ago, RubberJohnny said:

Forza doesn't have any microtransactions.

Doesn't Forza allow you to spend real money on cars? And certain cars can only be purchased with real money rather than Forza moon bucks?

• Upvote 1

GT Sport has microtransactions as well, doesn't it? There's some strange double standards in this thread. 

• Upvote 3

Microsoft's first party games have not gone down the Free to Play route at all, Gears 5 is only cosmetic items, spend your money on them if you want, it wont give you any advantage.

I can't speak for Halo as I don't play it, but I'm pretty sure 313 wouldn't put anything in the store that gives you a competitive advantage in a game that's famed for being so well balanced.

Forza is no different to how it was when we didnt have gamepass.

I've got plenty of issues with Microsoft's direction they went in for this gen and I've got concerns about their direction into next gen, but Game Pass is not something i'd criticise them for.

Halo 5 is an incredibly generous game with all the various modes and so on - there are micro transactions in Warzone but you can happily ignore them, and when you consider the effort gone into The Masterchief Collection before bringing it over to Game Pass it seems odd to believe there is something more sinister behind it all. 

I mean who knows how things will develop but so far they’ve played it pitch perfect, and it absolutely does not rely on micro transactions. 

12 hours ago, Wallace said:

Are you saying that Gamepass resulted in those games having microtransactions? Because I don't think that's quite right. Halo 5 and Gears 4 came out long before Gamepass, and Gears 5's microtransactions are apparently 'less shit' than Gears 4. I can't remember what FH4 is doing differently from FH3 with regards to microtransactions. 

The worst game for it that I have experienced recently is the new COD, but that isn't on Gamepass. 

What is bad in the new COD for micro transactions? I've put about 30 hours into the multiplayer so far and have never once felt the need to buy any. As far as I'm aware it's just XP boosters, advanced skin packs or the season pass (which is a mix of both). Everything unlocks quickly & it doesn't push the visual microtransactions in your face (They're off on a menu called Store to the right of the main screen).

9 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

What is bad in the new COD for micro transactions? I've put about 30 hours into the multiplayer so far and have never once felt the need to buy any. As far as I'm aware it's just XP boosters, advanced skin packs or the season pass (which is a mix of both). Everything unlocks quickly & it doesn't push the visual microtransactions in your face (They're off on a menu called Store to the right of the main screen).

Wut? It pushes them in your face All the time . At the end of every match it shows you you progression to the next unlock and shows you what you would have unlocked if you would only buy the battle pass .

not to mention the home screen has an add for the battle pass . 

Great game and all but it definitely pushes you to buy the battle pass . 

53 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Wut? It pushes them in your face All the time . At the end of every match it shows you you progression to the next unlock and shows you what you would have unlocked if you would only buy the battle pass .

not to mention the home screen has an add for the battle pass . 

Great game and all but it definitely pushes you to buy the battle pass . 

Never paid attention to it as I skip though quickly to be honest. But the battlepass gives you nothing other than skins and the occasional XP boost. Personally that doesn't bother me. It's not like the older CoDs where you got exclusive weapons from MTs or like Ubisoft where you can buy all of the weapons etc. 

Compare it to CoD Mobile where you have between 5-10 pop-ups at login for different skins, offers, boosts, battlepass. Then across the front screen it's littered with flashing icons for even more different MTs etc. It's really bad.

As far as activision go, I think it's actually pretty restrained for now (I know how bad they are for adding more and more as time goes on).

1 hour ago, Mr Tony said:

Never paid attention to it as I skip though quickly to be honest. But the battlepass gives you nothing other than skins and the occasional XP boost. Personally that doesn't bother me. It's not like the older CoDs where you got exclusive weapons from MTs or like Ubisoft where you can buy all of the weapons etc. 

Compare it to CoD Mobile where you have between 5-10 pop-ups at login for different skins, offers, boosts, battlepass. Then across the front screen it's littered with flashing icons for even more different MTs etc. It's really bad.

As far as activision go, I think it's actually pretty restrained for now (I know how bad they are for adding more and more as time goes on).

It's pretty bad from my experience, just a difference of opinion. 

You do gain an immediate advantage in some cases as the blueprints you can buy give you some attachments and perks that you otherwise need to grind for over time. Other items are cosmetics. 

The battle pass is flashed up after every game, showing you what you could have unlocked if you paid the 16 quid for the two month long season. 

I haven't had much exposure to this stuff so it may be OK in comparison to other games. This is the first COD I've played proper since MW3. 

5 minutes ago, Wallace said:

The battle pass is flashed up after every game, showing you what you could have unlocked if you paid the 16 quid for the two month long season. 

Its less than a tenner not £16.

3 hours ago, gooner4life said:

I've got concerns about their direction into next gen

What concerns have you got?

4 minutes ago, Wallace said:

It's pretty bad from my experience, just a difference of opinion. 

You do gain an immediate advantage in some cases as the blueprints you can buy give you some attachments and perks that you otherwise need to grind for over time. Other items are cosmetics. 

I haven't had much exposure to this stuff so it may be OK in comparison to other games. This is the first COD I've played proper since MW3. 

Fair point. Compared to the previous gen COD games, yeah it could be quite bad. It did get really bad with previous entries though that had you buying lootboxes & getting guns from them. Some were comically over powered too which left you at a disadvantage unless you bought it too.

I suppose I'm just ruined by stuff like the old StarWars BF2 MTs where you could pay to get cards that would make you take 50% less damage, give out 25% more damage & have your health regenerate faster. Of course you could unlock these through gameplay, but it would take about 40 hours and you were at a disadvantage the whole time. 

Maybe this was the plan. Get everyone used to really shitty MTs, then roll back to a uneversally "accepted" solution that "isn't that bad compared to the old".

14 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It’s unsurprising that any kind of alternative opinion would be met in such a way here

Maybe because you alternative opinion is way off the mark. Gamepass hasn't been used in any way to push micro transactions. Some games have them, obviously, but no more than on PS4. I've played loads of stuff on Gamepass and I haven't once felt the need to pay for any in-game content. It's a brilliant service and has led me to play a lot of games that I wouldn't have normally, just because they're there and I can easily give them a go. You should give it a try if you haven't already, which I'm presuming you haven't because of your view of it.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

Maybe because you alternative opinion is way off the mark. Gamepass hasn't been used in any way to push micro transactions. Some games have them, obviously, but no more than on PS4. I've played loads of stuff on Gamepass and I haven't once felt the need to pay for any in-game content. It's a brilliant service and has led me to play a lot of games that I wouldn't have normally, just because they're there and I can easily give them a go. You should give it a try if you haven't already, which I'm presuming you haven't because of your view of it.

Gamepass is exactly how I was able to play both Gears of War 4 and Gears 5, while paying almost nothing to do so. As a game developer for over 10 years, working for places making software for Microsoft Games Studios, my personal opinion on game pass is pretty cemented as a cynical one. 

14 minutes ago, JPL said:

What concerns have you got?

The Base and More Powerful console, the lack of any Next Gen exclusive games, the naming convention and cross gen controller compatibility.

It all strikes me as a risky move and could see them struggle to make any ground.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

New exclusives?

Hype?

Portability?

People bought Switch, to begin with at least, for BOTW, a Wii U/cross gen title.