Jump to content
rllmuk
TehStu

Xbox Product Name Placeholder (Project Scarlett)

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, JPL said:

And? It’s the first console to look like that and I think it looks good.


To me it looks like a shrunken down PC tower, which isn’t the sort of aesthetic I’m looking for in my home consoles. I generally prefer the set top box look. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MS whole modus operandi has been merging the home console space into PC gaming. Hell, their flagship franchise was money-grabbed from PC.

 

Great if you want that. I don’t. I think this hardware design is unappealing, not console warring - I would defect if MS had a killer app - but Sony has me hooked thanks to BC and their unmissable first party output.

  • Downvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

It’s a completely nondescript, virtually featureless , black box . It doesn’t look good or bad . It’s just a box . 

 

Maybe that is what some people like. I think it looks fantastic. A simple, clean unobtrusive box that will fade to nothing in my unit. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr Tony said:

 

Maybe that is what some people like. I think it looks fantastic. A simple, clean unobtrusive box that will fade to nothing in my unit. 


Keep your unit out of it.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

 

Maybe that is what some people like. I think it looks fantastic. A simple, clean unobtrusive box that will fade to nothing in my unit. 
 

 

 

 

“fantastic”,  is .. interesting . Each to their own . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

It’s a completely nondescript, virtually featureless , black box . It doesn’t look good or bad . It’s just a box . 

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The PS One was probably the last objectively good looking console, and even then that's a low bar. The SNES and Megadrive I like the look of but I've no idea if that's because of nostalgia or because of actual design aesthetic.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JPL said:

Come on then @PeteBrant, show us what you think a good looking console looks like.

WHat on earth does that have to do with anything. I don't think any of them are particularly good looking, in the same way i dont think any Bluray players are . I don't look at them and think "WOW" . I don't really care what they look like.

I can appreciate well packaged design that offers innovative solutions, or functionality. But people are praising this based on the fact it's a nondescript black box.

 

If I had to give an example of a console I found aesthetically pleasing I would probably say the Gamecube.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

WHat on earth does that have to do with anything. I don't think any of them are particularly good looking, in the same way i dont think any Bluray players are . I don't look at them and think "WOW" . I don't really care what they look like.

I can appreciate well packaged design that offers innovative solutions, or functionality. But people are praising this based on the fact it's a nondescript black box.

 

If I had to give an example of a console I found aesthetically pleasing I would probably say the Gamecube.

What? A nondescript purple cube? Jesus.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JPL said:

What? A nondescript purple cube? Jesus.

It was a lot more Interesting than a plain black box . It was diminutive , it had a carry handle , it had four controller ports on the front . It had two memory card slots in the front . It used tiny discs . At the time of release it was something different . 
 

like I said though I don’t think any of them look “great“. 

And I don’t really care if they do or not . But I know this is a company dear to your heart , so I can see why you like it. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

So going by the Bolsonaro retweeting, that guy is Brazilian, and Microsoft manufacture Xbox in Manaus.

 

Uh, can we just clarify this? Are we talking about some other Bolsonaro, or the fascist, homophobic President of Brazil, Jair Bolsonaro? If he's retweeting console hardware leaks I think I need to go for a lie down. This world is getting too wierd.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

It was a lot more Interesting than a plain black box . It was diminutive , it had a carry handle , it had four controller ports on the front . It had two memory card slots in the front . It used tiny discs . At the time of release it was something different . 
 

like I said though I don’t think any of them look “great“. 

And I don’t really care if they do or not . But I know this is a company dear to your heart , so I can see why you like it. 

 

See. You appreciated those aspects of the GameCube. I appreciate the black monolith style of the new Xbox. It’s all good.

 

Not sure why you think MS are dear to my heart. Yes, I do prefer their approach to gaming (apart from the beginning of this gen, obviously), but I couldn’t care less about them as a company. I don’t use any of their other products and I’ve got no intention of doing. Leave your childish console wars bollocks at the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be a bit dissapointed if PS5 and series X don't have some kind of USB C port, would really future proof them give all the alternate modes they support, e.g. virtuallink for VR. I am thinking I might dip my toe into VR next gen, and I don't want to buy a different headset / controllers etc for each platform.

 

Not sure how this could be as efficient cooling-wise when positioned horizontally vs vertically. Might end up being hotter / noiser in one position vs the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it looks great but I'll freely admit that's because my mind has been warped by having spent too much time fiddling about with small PC cases that end up making a load of noise because the fans are just too small so they have to run at full speed the whole time. 

 

This looks like it's been designed with functionality being given priority. I like that. 

 

The lack of a USB Type C port is the only thing I find a little odd. Even if Microsoft aren't planning on supporting VR anytime soon it does seem a little strange that they aren't covering their asses by including a port the industry, including Microsoft,seems to have agreed on for VR support. 

 

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/17/17583362/virtuallink-vr-headsets-oculus-valve-microsoft-connect-usb-c-cable

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bear said:

The lack of a USB Type C port is the only thing I find a little odd. Even if Microsoft aren't planning on supporting VR anytime soon it does seem a little strange that they aren't covering their asses by including a port the industry, including Microsoft,seems to have agreed on for VR support. 

 

Is USBC needed? I had a WMR headset that just used standard USB (It split to two at the end, but that was only the last 15cm or so)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To use a virtuallink headset, you'd probably still be able to use it with a splitter at the end. It would be annoying to not be able to use a single cable though, and to have to faff around with a breakout adapter that plugs in at the back.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xbox VR isn't happening until this thing at the very least gets a a revision mid gen. Also it's a prototype hence the cheap looking plastic, they could have at least  have wiped the jizz stains off it before taking the pics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really hoping that photo leak is just a prototype/test for moulds etc... the quality of finish looks pretty rough in my opinion (sorry @JPL).

 

I have no issue with minimalist black boxes (in fact I quite like them), but that looks a bit sloppy. The buttons look flimsy (not like the ones on teaser/announcement CGIs), the drive slot seems cavernous, the material/finish itself looks like a bit of a dust magnet. Also having that USB (?) on the opposite corner to the Xbox button looks chucked on and ruins the sleek look of the face (notice how in the teaser shots that was conveniently covered by the controller).

 

Perhaps I'm being picky working in a design company but I hope the actual release versions will have a bit more craft about them, like the One S/Digital and One X for example, which are decent pieces hardware design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.