rllmuk

Xbox Series X - 10 November. Get ready for 8am Tue.

9 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I didn't really understand what optimised for SeriesX was supposed to mean, tbh. 

Surely every game is optimised for the hardware it plays on?

They’re just going to market all games as playing on “Xbox”, whether that means they are games developed for specifically for Series X, patched Xbox One games, or unpatched Xbox One games. The first two are considered “optimised”; the last kind isn’t.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

They’re just going to market all games as playing on “Xbox”, whether that means they are games developed for specifically for Series X, patched Xbox One games, or unpatched Xbox One games. The first two are considered “optimised”; the last kind isn’t.

Right, I see. It does make sense after all. Thanks! 

But the 12 month option to pay is? In which we conclude it's to make "just" Gold less of a value proposition, as you're paying in 1 or 3 month increments. 

And I’m sure they want some excitement about the value offered by Series S. “All this at 1080p and 120 frames per second for just £300” at the end of the meeting would be momentous.

17 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I seriously think it will be cheaper even than that, £229. 

I'm struggling to see that when the Xbox One S is on the market too. 

If these are the prices,  there's no need for One S, it's practically the same price as the new console,  unless they can get the Xbox One S down to £100? 

Xbox One S  £150-200

Xbox Series S £229

Xbox Series X £400-500

• Upvote 1

I'm curious how much cheaper Series S can be unless Microsoft are just going to eat a big loss. The GPU will be cut back and they can probably drop a few GBs of RAM, but I don't know how much of a saving that actually amounts to in terms of manufacturing. They could drop the disc drive, with a view to making more off digital purchases down the line, but then if the S is the 'entry level' model I'd argue that being able to play/trade disks is more important to the price conscious audience.

Gold is hidden away and so clunky. it seems pretty obvious they don’t want you to find it. The games have been junk lately as well.

PS+ is way better than Gold and Gamepass is better than Now, although increasingly less so.

27 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I'm struggling to see that when the Xbox One S is on the market too. 

I don't expect the One S to be on the market to be honest. They'll support it, but they won't make new ones.

12 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Unless they feel a sudden need to compete with the Switch I can’t see them bothering to bring it under £300. All it needs to be cheaper than is the digital PS5.

I think it’s more to tie people into their monthly contract which includes the console and Gamepass Ultimate, so the cheaper the better. 

But if we look at the rumoured specs:

cutdown CPU

8gb RAM (half that of Series X)

4 TF GPU (a third of X’s 12tf)

cheaper SSD, no Blu-ray?

To me looks like not only undercutting PS5 but making it as cheap as absolutely possible by cutting back on everything. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I don't expect the One S to be on the market to be honest. They'll support it, but they won't make new ones.

I was under the impression that the one S was going to be on the market for the foreseeable future, but I may have got my wires crossed. 

I know the One X and S Digital are no longer being made,  but I'm under the impression that the One S is still in production.  I wonder how long it takes for a console manufacturered in China today to get to customer buying a system.  I assume if it's probably a couple of months,  assuming there's no giant backlog of stock that needs to be sold ahead of it.  So perhaps not announcing it's  discontinuation is just about keeping shops stocked between now and the new system launch. Maybe they run at close to just in time. 

They’ve got a far more cut back box than Series S in the One S already, and they’re willing to compromise on graphical flashiness of the first year or so of Xbox Series titles to keep that around. It seems too purposeful for them to just go and make another console to fill that gap.

The Series S should, on paper, play Series X games at their full graphical quality at 1080p - they can position it as a console upgrade in its own right, not a cheap entry point to the Xbox ecosystem.

it wont be a cut down CPU, it wont be a cheaper SSD (bear in mind MS have used a normal nvme drive just in a slightly different size format, not decided to jury rig together their own, so cheaper dev cost). As these will be required.

It will most likely not have the blu ray, and could have less ram as if you arnt trying to output high res, you dont need as much.

The major saving will be that they are going to be using a gpu component that essentially will be a part that hasnt binned to the standard of the XsX and are thus reusing it.

What is oddly concerning, and how sombody didnt think of this,  is that it could easily be short called the SS...and...well....yeah...

7 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

What is oddly concerning, and how sombody didnt think of this,  is that it could easily be short called the SS...and...well....yeah...

Boned.

7 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

They’ve got a far more cut back box than Series S in the One S already, and they’re willing to compromise on graphical flashiness of the first year or so of Xbox Series titles to keep that around. It seems too purposeful for them to just go and make another console to fill that gap.

The Series S should, on paper, play Series X games at their full graphical quality at 1080p - they can position it as a console upgrade in its own right, not a cheap entry point to the Xbox ecosystem.

It’s just about Gamepass isn’t it - personally can’t see them offering three systems up for sale - low, mid and high tier. I’m sure once Series   S comes out they’ll cease selling One S as the price difference will be negligible - and then both the new consoles are good for at least another five years. 

26 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I'm curious how much cheaper Series S can be unless Microsoft are just going to eat a big loss.

Isn't this the same situation for Sony - the lack of BR drive in the digital only version reduces the manufacturing cost by about $20 but that won't be the difference between the 2 consoles come launch.