Jump to content
rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - Games Showcase 23 July 5pm BST

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Why? It's not on GP.

It could well be by the time Series X is launched though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I very much doubt it will, unless Microsoft pay through the nose for it. Cyberpunk is going to be one of the biggest games of the year, I can imagine it'll be a year or two before we see it, after it's initial sales have slowed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike S said:

I've not paid much attention to the incoming consoles so have only just realised that Series X is the final name ( I think?).

 

Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, and now Xbox Series X seem like a list of names that are so alike they could easily confuse buyers - like those stories of potential buyers not realising that Wii U was actually a new console.  Sony may be unimaginative in their naming at least PS 1, 2, 3, 4, and now 5 are clearly differentiated whilst remaining very much on brand.

 

I'll stilll be focussing on the Xbox this generation as, aside from the hope of maybe a Boodborne 2, there are no Sony IP's that encourage me to own a Sony console anymore. Game Pass is a significant benefit too of course.

The difference here that the games run on them all, so more like iPhone, iPhone Pro, iPhone SE etc. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

 

Great zinger, but have you actually kept up with the thread? This is a feature which Guerilla themselves have said they considered but couldn't implement because the storage on the PS4 couldn't keep up.

 

Yes they can say it all they like but it's self evidently not true.

 

What they mean is they couldn't do it while keeping everything else as pretty and dense.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The difference here that the games run on them all, so more like iPhone, iPhone Pro, iPhone SE etc. 

 

Which may lead to even more consumer confusion. 

 

'Why should I pay XXX for that one when I only pay X for the other?' Etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike S said:

 

Which may lead to even more consumer confusion. 

 

'Why should I pay XXX for that one when I only pay X for the other?' Etc...

Why do people pay different amounts for different phones then? Newer, faster, etc, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JPL said:

Why do people pay different amounts for different phones then? Newer, faster, etc, etc.

 

What? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike S said:

 

What? 

Stanley said it's similar to games running on iPhones.

 

You asked why would someone pay more for a new console if it runs on the old.

 

I said it's for the same reason people upgrade their phones, for the newer, better model.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mike S said:

 

Which may lead to even more consumer confusion. 

 

'Why should I pay XXX for that one when I only pay X for the other?' Etc...

That’s the whole point as I see it to encourage customers with lower or higher budgets to use your service. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Stanley said it's similar to games running on iPhones.

 

You asked why would someone pay more for a new console if it runs on the old.

 

I said it's for the same reason people upgrade their phones, for the newer, better model.

 

 

I was asking a rhetorical question.

 

That said, consoles are markedly different products to phones and have markedly different life span expectations.

 

I have no idea why some people buy the latest model of a phone every cycle but just the concept of many consumers being tied to a contract for the service they supply already opens phones up to being accepted, for better or worse, as an iterative product.  As for why people buy phones? I assume there are many who buy a new phone because it's a new phone, many who buy it as they have an old phone and feel they need more contemporary features, many who buy after incurring damage or who's battery life is shot, many who succumb to peer/marketing pressure, many who are offered cost effective upgrades by their contract supplier,  etc, etc. Of course, most smart phones of the last 4 or 5 years will offer pretty much exactly the same base experience as the latest and greatest in that the user will be able to browse their social media of choice, the internet, send mails and messages, even make calls 90% as well as they will on a new device with very little perceptible difference.

 

TLDR: I don't really see any benefit in buying a new phone more than once every three years or more. If that. 

 

Consoles, on the other hand, have always carried the expectation of a generational leap in performance that may (or may not) lead to improved gameplay experiences. For these devices I think a clear naming distinction is preferable when it comes to presenting and marketing a new machine to the market. Something that says that this is indeed the next generation and not something that is lost in the current and past generations.  I am more invested in the scene than maybe a typical consumer, having played games and bought consoles for more decades than I want to remember, but I had to double check that mine is an Xbox (One) X after seeing the name of the new one.  I can kind of see what MS are doing by presenting a range of consoles that are of the same 'family' but my original point remains - I feel it will confuse, and I apologise for the awful term, the more 'casual' consumer. As I say, if someone goes in to a shop and is told all the machines run the same games then I can easily imagine that many will just settle for the cheaper option.

 

I realise that I may be stuck in the past when it comes to understanding the naming model MS are pursuing. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

 

The environmental destruction is Crysis and Red Faction was rudimentary (but fun) simply because you couldn't simulate much more detail, something like a building in a city tippling over, taking other building with it had us all pretty excited when it was shown as a cloud rendered feature in early alphas of Crackdown3. My point about the simulated game world is unrelated to the size of the map - it's the bounding box in which enemies appear and stuff like physics is simulated. It's very obvious in games like BotW where enemies will simply appear not very far in front of you or objects that roll down a hill, say, just vanish. In tandem with the ability to move rapidly around your world it strikes me there is a reasonably rich vein of possibilities to explore.

 

We haven't seen anything like a 6x increase in CPU speed from one generation to the next for an awfully long time, perhaps ever - certainly not prior to open world games which are often heavily reliant on it so as I mention, comparisons with the last few gens aren't particularly revealing.

 

If you're only looking forward to next gen for graphics I sense you'll be disappointed, given diminishing returns of resolution and the fact that we had pretty capable mid-gen refreshes, ray-tracing aside I reckon you'll see a pretty limited difference in next gen games.

 

One thing that always sticks in my mind is a mission in GTA: Vice City where you ride a motorbike across rooftops, using ramps to jump between them. At one point you smash through a high-rise window into an office, careen through it and smash out the other end and onto the next rooftop.

 

When GTAIV came out I was looking forward to similar missions, where perhaps I'd be involved in a shootout on the 30th floor of an office building and I'd be able to shoot people through the plate glass, like Dick Jones at the end of Robocop, and maybe leap out myself in a death-defying stunt like John McClane.

 

Of course, that didn't happen, because the fidelity increase in the HD era meant that, although loading screens were eliminated when transitioning between interior and exterior, games still can't switch quickly enough from rendering highly detailed interiors to bustling city streets. You either get spartan interiors that pale in comparison to other games, or your passage between indoors and outdoors is artificially slowed, and you certainly can't go to the top floor of a glass skyscraper.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see why it’s confusing - the same games run on them all, it’s just an extension of the mid gen refresh consoles we saw with the X and Pro Xbox and PS4 models, only this time they are doing away with generations altogether, or at least moving the baseline back.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dudley said:

 

Yes they can say it all they like but it's self evidently not true.

 

What they mean is they couldn't do it while keeping everything else as pretty and dense.


I think pretty much everyone with half a functioning brain understood it as that, rather than them suggesting the PS4 is unable to run any form of game that has flight in it, yes. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Pob said:

Of course, that didn't happen, because the fidelity increase in the HD era meant that, although loading screens were eliminated when transitioning between interior and exterior, games still can't switch quickly enough from rendering highly detailed interiors to bustling city streets. You either get spartan interiors than pale in comparison to other games, or your passage between indoors and outdoors is artificially slowed, and you certainly can't go to the top floor of a glass skyscraper.

 

Nor could you fly in GTAIV, you can of a fashion in V but really, really slowly and with tons of pop-in. I think we're so used to the technical limitations of open world games that we don't really question them much anymore - I suppose that's part of the skill of making games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I don’t see why it’s confusing - the same games run on them all, it’s just an extension of the mid gen refresh consoles we saw with the X and Pro Xbox and PS4 models, only this time they are doing away with generations altogether, or at least moving the baseline back.

This is a very temporary arrangement. They aren't doing away with generations

 

Third parties will of course relase content exlusive to the new machine and of course, so will MS eventually. So this isn't like Pro and X, where all titles release for PS4/One will work on all models. throughout the entire lifespan. In 18months time the XboxOne will be obsolete in effect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:

This is a very temporary arrangement. They aren't doing away with generations

 

Third parties will of course relase content exlusive to the new machine and of course, so will MS eventually. So this isn't like Pro and X, where all titles release for PS4/One will work on all models. throughout the entire lifespan. In 18months time the XboxOne will be obsolete in effect

Which is another positive. They’re giving consumers the opportunity to upgrade when they can afford to, knowing any first party titles will be waiting for them in super shiny vision when they do.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JPL said:

Which is another positive. They’re giving consumers the opportunity to upgrade when they can afford to, knowing any first party titles will be waiting for them in super shiny vision when they do.

There's postives and negatives to the the approach. THe adoption of a PC centric apprach is a good thing for existing customers, but of course people may decide to buy PS5 in that intervening time; why bother with a Series 1 if you can play the games on your OneS/X? . However, the level of third party support may complete negate the crossover anyway; if there are loads of quality third party Series 1X only releases then MS approach becomes more or less irrelevant.

 

Personally I think the landscape is pretty much set for this gen already, with BC playing its part in locking in people already (not something I particularly care about). And it depends how good each console is  (and more importantly how good the games are) whether they become second console purchases or not. I want MS to give me a reason this time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the negatives?

 

Do you mean it could sell less because people will stick with their current console, giving Sony the sales advantage and devs would rather develop for the market leader? But thinking about that, if people are buying the same game, whether that's for One S, X or Series X, it won't matter to devs. As long as they're getting the sale, they'll be happy.

 

Hmm, I can't really think of any negatives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JPL said:

.

 

Hmm, I can't really think of any negatives.

This is shocking news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pob said:

When GTAIV came out I was looking forward to similar missions, where perhaps I'd be involved in a shootout on the 30th floor of an office building and I'd be able to shoot people through the plate glass, like Dick Jones at the end of Robocop, and maybe leap out myself in a death-defying stunt like John McClane.

 

Of course, that didn't happen, because the fidelity increase in the HD era meant that, although loading screens were eliminated when transitioning between interior and exterior, games still can't switch quickly enough from rendering highly detailed interiors to bustling city streets. You either get spartan interiors that pale in comparison to other games, or your passage between indoors and outdoors is artificially slowed, and you certainly can't go to the top floor of a glass skyscraper.

 

You could literally do all of those things in GTAIV, there's a mission where you snipe someone from through the glass into his apartment from a rooftop, you could seamlessly go into buildings and have firefights, there's even the big project towers you chase someone up from the bottom floor to the top, and then shoot him off the roof.

 

And even if you don't think it was there fully last gen, it definitely has been solved this gen, I played Batman and you do a seamless interior and then they rip half of the interior off and you go gliding across the city, or the Witcher 3 or the latest Assassins Creed where there's full seamless interiors fully modelled in the massive open world.

 

Again, there's lots of "I don't think games are doing this enough" conflated with "games can't do this".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

This is shocking news.

I’ve thought of one!

 

People think it’ll be the same game on Series X as on their current Xbox, so buy a PS5 instead of a Series X. Sony sail off into the sunset with the biggest sales figures again and the devs choose PS5 as their lead console.

 

Any more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ve thought of one!

 

People think it’ll be the same game on Series X as on their current Xbox, so buy a PS5 instead of a Series X. Sony sail off into the sunset with the biggest sales figures again and the devs choose PS5 as their lead console.

 

Any more?


you said a negative. That’s a positive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad I'm a member of a games forum otherwise all this complex lettering naming convention would just confuse me. It's great being so superior to casual humans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Why? It's not on GP.

 

3 hours ago, JPL said:

It could well be by the time Series X is launched though.

 

3 hours ago, mdn2 said:

I very much doubt it will, unless Microsoft pay through the nose for it. 

 

I'll be very surprised if it isn't and they don't. It'll be a lot less broke and visually upgraded by then too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SeanR said:


you said a negative. That’s a positive.

It doesn’t matter either way really, does it Sean? I’ll have all the consoles again. I’m just trying to figure out what negatives Pete was on about. He doesn’t seem to want to disclose his insights though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always though the Series X would be comparable to PC gaming. The same game can run on different specced machines, it's just the more powerful one has more detail and a better frame rate. That's how I imagined it to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Why? It's not on GP.

 

It will be after CDPR become first party (lol).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:


I think pretty much everyone with half a functioning brain understood it as that, rather than them suggesting the PS4 is unable to run any form of game that has flight in it, yes. 

 

Yes, so cross gen games won't be a problem at all, just the one x version won't be quite so pretty. It's not holding anyone back from anything new and groundbreaking.

 

PS5 and PS4 Horizon 2 could both have flight, the PS4 one won't be as pretty.

 

Or to put it another way, what is it you're disagreeing with here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

There's postives and negatives to the the approach. THe adoption of a PC centric apprach is a good thing for existing customers, but of course people may decide to buy PS5 in that intervening time; why bother with a Series 1 if you can play the games on your OneS/X? .

 

 

 

Same reason why people bought Xbox One X's and Ps4Pro's,  more shinies. At least in the first year. :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.