rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - Games Showcase 23 July 5pm BST

1 minute ago, macosx said:

I’ve always been of a mind it will have a different   name - it’s not even released yet.

xbox one x , and x box one series x - too close.

they could drop the One from the name:

XBOX X
XBOX PS

X for eXpensive

PS for poverty spec

11 minutes ago, SeanR said:

No, I saw it very much as the second part of a conversation that started like this

”series x?”

*mumbling*
”HOW MUCH!?!”

”well, there’s series S, it’s cheaper and plays all the same games”

but sure...

parent goes home

little jonnie says no mum/dad the other one

parent goes back to shop, excuse me, I bought the wrong one,, it's the one called series x apparently.

shop manager: of course!

everyone lives happily ever after.

I have to wonder what happens when some of you lot come up against a problem in life.  Do you just shrug and sink back to the floor and think life's too complicated?   :)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I have to wonder what happens when some of you lot come up against a problem in life.  Do you just shrug and sink back to the floor and think life's too complicated?   :)

Sean’s point actually a very valid point, if you haven’t the money, and why they actually made the thing.

It’s hardly like it’s the level of difficulty this bunch have buying a PC, a TV or a phone (or worse, a graphics card). Perhaps all we’re learning here is that Game shop assistants are crap.

8 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Seeing as MS have said all the games will work on all consoles (right now) I'd imagine you buy an Xbox One game and put it into a Series X or an Xbox One X or an Xbox One S and the console just downloads/installs whatever it's capable of playing.

Have they said that?

The only statement like that I've seen is that the Sex will play "games from every generation".  The word "All" is very lacking there.

Presumably third party devs can do what they want wrt compatibility. If, say, a Rockstar or a Ubi want to put out something that takes advantage of the Series X and PS5 hardware within the first couple of years of next gen - MS aren't going to turn then away. 

14 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

parent goes home

little jonnie says thanks, because his parents aren't fucking idiots and they bought the right thing.

Fixed.

• Upvote 1

How will the physical discs versions of this work? For Halo Infinte will there be two different disc versions for original xbox and the new gen ones? 

12 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Presumably third party devs can do what they want wrt compatibility. If, say, a Rockstar or a Ubi want to put out something that takes advantage of the Series X and PS5 hardware within the first couple of years of next gen - MS aren't going to turn then away. 

That’s right. It’s only first party games that need to be cross-gen. Third parties can do what they want.

22 minutes ago, Tonald Drump said:

How will the physical discs versions of this work? For Halo Infinte will there be two different disc versions for original xbox and the new gen ones? 

I’d hope not but nothing has been confirmed. 

26 minutes ago, Tonald Drump said:

I don't think so. The whole way they seem to be painting it is it's all the one game that will work across all systems. 

I imagine it'll download any extra assets needed like they do now for X Enhanced games.

On 16/01/2020 at 08:52, JPL said:

I know I joked about it yesterday over in the PS5 thread, but genuinely who are these people that don’t know what a console is called? Even if you weren’t sure, you could quickly look online, or even ask for ‘the new Xbox’ in a shop. I think I massively underestimate the stupidity of the general public.

It’s not stupidity, it’s apathy. My son asked my dad to get him a new PC headset for Christmas. I sent him an Amazon link. He inexplicably decided to go to buy it from game, but took his phone and showed the guy the exact model with model number on his phone. Now I don’t know if it was the guy from game selling him whatever they had in stock, or my dad trying to save money, but he returned with the same headset but for the PS4. When I explained to him that it wouldn’t work (having told him not only that we needed a PC one but the specific model) he seemed really angry that it was wrong. It had a big fucking PS4 logo on the front, and I’d had a long conversation with him when we were talking about presents about how my son uses the PC now.

He loves his grandson, and he seems to be aware of the difference between a console and PC. But the moment it’s a bit more complex than that he seems incapable of remembering any details. He’s still working, in courts, giving statements and presenting reports, so I’m forced to conclude that he’s not as senile as he occasionally appears. Which means he’s perfectly capable of understanding this stuff, but just doesn’t care enough to try.

22 hours ago, JPL said:

Xbox One doesn't even exist anymore. All you can get now, and I suppose for a crossover period after the new one launches, will be:

Xbox One S

Xbox One S - All Digital

Xbox One X

Xbox Series S (Maybe)

Xbox Series X

What kind of imbecile would you need to be to get confused over a selection of 5 consoles?!

Anyway, I want some of your retail anecdotes about these stupid customers...

Lady who bought a PS2 memory card for her GameCube because it was cheaper. When I told her it wouldn’t work she called me a prick.

Guy spat in my managers face because we wouldn’t take consoles for trade with no cables or controller. 

Guy who tried to buy three memory cards because he was buying three games. He thought he needed one for each game. When I asked him how many games he had he said about 20. 

19 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Yeah, that doesnt happen. Any more than it does with specific Lego, or specific power ranger or whatever other specific item a child has written on the Christmas list.

I assume you don’t have kids? I’m pretty good for paying attention to my kids stuff, I don’t think I’ve ever bought them something wrong after they asked for something specific. Most of the people I know with kids play a lot less games than me, and are a lot less interested in LEGO.

Then there’s thing grandparents buy them, or other relatives, or their friends. Those people care less about the kid, and whatever shit they’re buying.

But what you’ve really failed to take into account is the frequency with which kids make mistakes about these things. I generally catch those minor mistakes, when they’ve said the wrong console or something, and tell the people buying them gifts. But I don’t know that everyone would.

• Empathy 1

I've done plenty of work in retail and seen consumers get completely baffled by the simplest of things. Much simpler than similarly named consoles that they know nothing about.

One example is times I supervised self-service checkouts. If they spend too long doing nothing (while digging through bags or chatting with someone), it asks "Would you like to continue?" with a simple option of Yes or No. This stumps people. About 50% go straight for No and then get even more confused that their transaction is being cancelled. About 25% just stand there trying to decipher the difficult question. About 25% manage to decipher it successfully.

So while Pete may know his Xboxes, he shouldn't assume everyone can, if they can't even figure out if they want to continue shopping or not.

• Upvote 2

I think it's obvious how dopey the general public are considering the results of the EU ref and last general election.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

One example is times I supervised self-service checkouts. If they spend too long doing nothing (while digging through bags or chatting with someone), it asks "Would you like to continue?" with a simple option of Yes or No. This stumps people. About 50% go straight for No and then get even more confused that their transaction is being cancelled. About 25% just stand there trying to decipher the difficult question. About 25% manage to decipher it successfully.

I assume that’s because people are used to getting bombarded with questions and pop ups when using computers, and when asked a question usually press “no” to make it go away, without reading it. Do you want this? No, bugger off.

(The exception to this is my Dad, who always without fail presses Yes. I think he’s just eager to please, but it explains why I have to clear his PC of malware at least once a month). 

To be honest I think that’s a UI failure on the part of the self-service checkout machine. A simple screen with “Press this if you’re still here and want to continue” would have solved this more elegantly.

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I assume that’s because people are used to getting bombarded with questions and pop ups when using computers, and when asked a question usually press “no” to make it go away, without reading it. Do you want this? No, bugger off.

Yes, exactly. That's just a reflex reaction they've learned through years of annoying pop-ups on the web. It's not them being baffled by a simple question.

1 hour ago, Broker said:

I assume you don’t have kids? I’m pretty good for paying attention to my kids stuff, I don’t think I’ve ever bought them something wrong after they asked for something specific. Most of the people I know with kids play a lot less games than me, and are a lot less interested in LEGO.

Then there’s thing grandparents buy them, or other relatives, or their friends. Those people care less about the kid, and whatever shit they’re buying.

But what you’ve really failed to take into account is the frequency with which kids make mistakes about these things. I generally catch those minor mistakes, when they’ve said the wrong console or something, and tell the people buying them gifts. But I don’t know that everyone would.

Yes I have kids, and I have probably had them a lot longer then you. In all that time, not once have i managed to buy the wrong thing, nor have their grandparents. In fact I can't remember anyone ever buying them the wrong version or wrong format . THere's probably been a few duplicates along the way. But its been quite a few years. I don't remeber them ever identifiying something they want incorrectly.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I've done plenty of work in retail and seen consumers get completely baffled by the simplest of things. Much simpler than similarly named consoles that they know nothing about.

So while Pete may know his Xboxes, he shouldn't assume everyone can, if they can't even figure out if they want to continue shopping or not.

And yet still the world keeps turning. People buy the correct iphone, or the correct format game. THis wont suddenly halt with Series One X vs One X. I assume, correctly, that most people know what they want and purchase accordingly.

But no one is saying that the world is going to stop turning, just that its a stupid naming convention. Look, I'm sure that the vast majority will buy what they intend to and that it won't cause mass confusion, but that doesn't stop people pointing out its a bit stupid. Simply put, it shouldn't have to make you think, not even for a nano second. The second you have to decipher the names, or think, its another barrier to entry. Not the end of the world, but these thing matter in the world of retail.

No biggie, just a bit stupid.

Edited by Stavi
typo
  • Upvote 3

If only they could make one version black and the other white.   It'd never work though....

Well Im beginning to wonder now, with a couple of posters here still referring to Series X with a One in the middle

Its Xbox Series X

They are dropping the One term altogether

E837584E-0384-4F75-A98F-1D07B353CB2B.jpeg.cc311708c82937ced4fefb0e2b5a497d.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Stavi said:

But no one is saying that the world is going to stop turning, just that its a stupid naming convention. Look, I'm sure that the vast majority will buy what they intend to and that it won't cause mass confusion, but that doesn't stop people pointing out its a bit stupid. Simply put, it shouldn't have to make you think, not even for a nano second. The second you have to decipher the names, or think, its another barrier to entry. Not the end of the world, but these thing matter in the world of retail.

No biggie, just a bit stupid.

Exactly. Sony's naming convention is pretty straightforward. Do you want a PS4 or a PS4 Pro? Or a PS5? No one's getting these confused, as soon as people with even a cursory interest in gaming hear it, they know a new playstation is out. Wii U caused problems because some people didn't even know it was a new console.

Changing the name in the middle, from Xbox One X to Xbox Series X is nowhere near as clear. Even between X and S, it's not immediately clear which is better. 

No one is suggesting that significant numbers of people are going to end up with consoles they didn't intend to buy with no way of remedying the situation, just that their naming is going to create some unnecessary confusion.

13 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Exactly. Sony's naming convention is pretty straightforward. Do you want a PS4 or a PS4 Pro? Or a PS5? No one's getting these confused, as soon as people with even a cursory interest in gaming hear it, they know a new playstation is out. Wii U caused problems because some people didn't even know it was a new console.

Changing the name in the middle, from Xbox One X to Xbox Series X is nowhere near as clear. Even between X and S, it's not immediately clear which is better. 

No one is suggesting that significant numbers of people are going to end up with consoles they didn't intend to buy with no way of remedying the situation, just that their naming is going to create some unnecessary confusion.

Someone should look into why does this phenomenon only affects purchasers of game consoles, and why only geek forums moan about it.

Do I want an iPhone X, XR or XS?

Do I want an LG 65OLEDE9PLA or a LG 665OLEDW9PLA?

DO those items suffer from the same confusion?

I'm just not having it that people don't look in to what they are buying before they spend several hundred pounds. And in the unlikely event they buy the wrong thing they return it. I mean its not even worth worrying about.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

They should celebrate the launch of the XSX with a new SSX

TRICKY TRICKY TRICKY TRRRRICKY

The best use of 'X' in the last several pages of this thread.

7 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I'm just not having it that people don't look in to what they are buying before they spend several hundred pounds. 

Good, because no one is saying that

Just that it's a bit stupid. It's not anti MS to say it either.

Just now, Stavi said:

I dont think it's anti MS. I just think people are being very selective in what they consider to be stupid or confusing product naming. 

5 minutes ago, Stavi said:

I reckon even MS would know they have some comms to do on this and getting themselves out of the Xbox One naming back into the overall Xbox family name was always going to be difficult on that first step.   I don't think it's as big problem as some on here make it out to be though..