rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - Games Showcase 23 July 5pm BST

10 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Someone should look into why does this phenomenon only affects purchasers of game consoles, and why only geek forums moan about it.

Do I want an iPhone X, XR or XS?

Do I want an LG 65OLEDE9PLA or a LG 665OLEDW9PLA?

DO those items suffer from the same confusion?

I'm just not having it that people don't look in to what they are buying before they spend several hundred pounds. And in the unlikely event they buy the wrong thing they return it. I mean its not even worth worrying about.

Crazy, people here are over complicating what is a very simple option when it comes down to it - the new Series S and Series X will replace the current models bar probably the SAD for now, so any customer unsure just needs to decide whether they wanna spend £300 or £600 and if then they’re still not sure then they probably shouldn’t be allowed out on their own in public anyway. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Crazy, people here are over complicating what is a very simple option when it comes down to it - the new Series S and Series X will replace the current models bar probably the SAD for now, so any customer unsure just needs to decide whether they wanna spend £300 or £600 

AKA the white one or the black one I would imagine.  :)

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Do I want an iPhone X, XR or XS?

Do I want an LG 65OLEDE9PLA or a LG 665OLEDW9PLA?

DO those items suffer from the same confusion?

Yes.

• Upvote 6

39 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Yes.

I think somebody should tell Apple, it’s obviously hampering their sales.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

I'm just not having it

I can see that.

And to take your examples, the TV naming is a bloody disaster and people have got about a decade of iPhone naming convention telling them that the one with an S in the name is better. 

• Upvote 1

iPhone naming has clearly become more confusing over time. It used to be much simpler.

22 minutes ago, JPL said:

I think somebody should tell Apple, it’s obviously hampering their sales.

Aside from the strawman argument that was being made, how does that detract from my point that the branding is confusing?

I have literally no idea where in the line-up those iphones sit. 

12 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Aside from the strawman argument that was being made, how does that detract from my point that the branding is confusing?

It’s pretty simple really, Mike. It’s just not a confusing naming system to anyone with a brain and only mildly confusing to anyone without.

It’s being blown out of proportion for some reason though, but I’m sure MS, just like Apple, LG and anyone else who launches a new product range with similar names, will be fine.

It’s just a very strange argument. I guess people need to talk about something until we get more details though.

6 hours ago, rafaqat said:

parent goes home

little jonnie says no mum/dad the other one

parent goes back to shop, excuse me, I bought the wrong one,, it's the one called series x apparently.

shop manager: of course!

everyone lives happily ever after.

I have to wonder what happens when some of you lot come up against a problem in life.  Do you just shrug and sink back to the floor and think life's too complicated?   :)

most returned console evar!

So at that point you ask, why do they bother with the cheaper cut-down SKU* if the scenario above happens more than once?

* ha!

43 minutes ago, Mike S said:

There are two new Xbox’s to decide from, the cheap one of the expensive one, the high end or the entry level, the games are compatible with both :wacko:

13 minutes ago, JPL said:

It’s pretty simple really, Mike. It’s just not a confusing naming system to anyone with a brain and only mildly confusing to anyone without

This whole line of argument - that you're so clever you couldn't possibly be confused by this is poorly conceived. I don't think there's any facet of intelligence that allows you to innately understand the differences between an Xbox One X and an Xbox Series X. It isn't clear from the name which supersedes the other - it would require you to have a working understanding of gaming consoles and then do some research to understand how they relate to each other. Not a huge obstacle, but an obstacle nonetheless. Obstacles to understanding exactly what your product does are considered a bad thing. Forget hilarious mix ups at Game stores, overwhelmingly it just puts people off buying the product in the first place. This is precisely what happened to the WiiU as Nintendo themselves admitted - so I don't think this a particularly elliptical conversation to have.

Regarding other products, I've had to have long conversations with friends and relatives about which iPhone or LG OLED it is they want to buy. These aren't dim people, they just don't live and breathe consumer gadgets and appliances. Quite sensibly really.

• Upvote 4

The comparison with WiiU is stupid because that was not just a naming issue - people didnt understand what it was supposed to do even. I got one on account of it being a new Nintendo but I was not sure how the thing was going to work before I actually got one.

Another side to this is that, if someone does buy a One X instead of a Series X by mistake, they can still play all of the games on Series X on that console - until they get around to return it. How is that going to work if you mistakenly buy a PS4 instead of a PS5?

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

But you wouldn't go and spend hundreds of pounds without checking first.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Or maybe he would... 

48 minutes ago, JPL said:

It’s pretty simple really, Mike. It’s just not a confusing naming system to anyone with a brain and only mildly confusing to anyone without.

It’s being blown out of proportion for some reason though, but I’m sure MS, just like Apple, LG and anyone else who launches a new product range with similar names, will be fine.

It’s just a very strange argument. I guess people need to talk about something until we get more details though.

Please drop the condescension and accusations of stupidity for pointing out that MS's product branding is unclear.

As for 'blown out of all proportion', well, that you are still here 2-3 days after I originally made the observation, suggests that there is room for debate and that it is not as clear as yours (and others) insinuations that anyone who does not find the Xbox naming nomenclature perfectly clear is an idiot. That said if, by your reckoning, a consumer needs 'half a brain' to understand the MS branding then, as a marketing exercise, it is already failing and having to do work that is quite unnecessary. There should be no ambiguity at all - I should not need to be versed in how MS now name their consoles nor have to read around on the subject as the product should tell me exactly where it stands . One X -> Series X does not tell me that this is a brand new, all singing all dancing, console whereas, for example, PS4 -> PS5 absolutely does. 

Incidentally, my point wasn't made 'as something to talk about until we get more details' but was made as I am not an avid follower of upcoming console gossip and had only then realised that what I  assumed to be a codename was the actual final console name. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

15 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

If I ever felt any desire to buy an iphone then of course I would as, given the huge competition in the mobile phone space, anyone should.

But, as I've already mentioned I do not believe phones and games consoles to be comparable devices,

15 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Exactly what I'm thinking. March was way too long to fucking wait, but even if the XSX launches in October or November, I'll be able to wait. 

Will it definitely be day and date with the Series X though? Wont we have to wait for a tweaked version from the 3rd parties? Certainly for games as big as Cyberpunk. 

15 minutes ago, Mike S said:

If I ever felt any desire to buy an iphone then of course I would as, given the huge competition in the mobile phone space, anyone should.

But, as I've already mentioned I do not believe phones and games consoles to be comparable devices,

I think they are when you are either dropping hundreds of pounds or signing a contract.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, macosx said:

I think they are when you are either dropping hundreds of pounds or signing a contract.

I'm not referring to their cost.

It is a stupid/confusing naming system (exactly like Apple). Will it harm sales? No (exactly like Apple).

I totally agree in the grand scheme of things it's a minor point to get worked up about, but is it definitely isn't a case study in good product branding, and getting worked up defending it as if it is is equally as silly. 

I like they don't just go 1,2,3,4 (it's a bit different) but MS have form in making strange naming decisions and it's okay to say that and still like the product. I (and millions of others) will still buy it so it doesn't really matter. 

I work in the marketing/branding industry and we would 100% never recommend something like this for our commercial clients. Luckily for companies like MS and Apple their market position, financial/marketing might and general desirability means people willingly work around their flaws.

The bigger issue for me is how the hell I'm going to fit that box into my newly installed media unit where the 4K TV is! :lol:  I measured it last night and I think if I take the Xbox One and PS4 out, then move there Sky box up to the top and remove the middle shelf I'll squeeze it in with about 3cm clearance.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

Or maybe he would... 

"A fool and his money are easily parted"

Jez Corden the Windows Central guy is suspicious about the Lockhart console maybe not being a console due to the secrecy over it. A 4Teraflop xcloud server blade or even a handheld xbox ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

A 4Teraflop xcloud server blade

A cut down blade with the same CPU/RAM but a much cheaper GPU running the same games but at reduced resolution due to streaming makes quite a bit of sense.

21 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

A cut down blade with the same CPU/RAM but a much cheaper GPU running the same games but at reduced resolution due to streaming makes quite a bit of sense.

Given Microsoft's (somewhat indeterminate) commitment to supporting their existing consoles with new releases, Lockhart as an entry level device certainly makes less sense than ever.

xCloud currently maxes out at a 720p feed, with 1080p to come, so maybe they intend to cap it at that; I imagine you'd want to pump up bitrate rather than output resolution anyway. In that context 4TFLOPS roughly lines up with the supposed specs of the Series X: quarter of the target resolution, quarter of the GPU power.

So i'd guess some kind of dongle to connect up to an xbox controller? But if thats the case whats the point with project xcloud?