rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - Games Showcase 23 July 5pm BST

25 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Bullshit of course, but there's another notable Polish developer that comes to mind - People Can Fly, of Bulletstorm fame. That would indeed be a perfect fit for Microsoft and a likely acquisition. Iirc they're independent now.

I think it's Bloober team who made Layers of Fear/2, _observer and the recent Blair Witch game. They seem to be pretty close already to MS Studios.

https://www.blooberteam.com/

Bloober Team SA
Cystersów 9, 31-553 Kraków
Poland

It’s increasingly hard to differentiate the usual nostalgia pandering fake leaks from the increasingly normalised nostalgia pandering actual releases, but I’d hope whoever is in charge of Xbox first party would say “fuck no” when asked to bring back a third sci-fi shooter franchise.

• Empathy 1

The very last thing I'd want to see From doing is being reduced to working on old MS/Rare franchises - it would be the definition of a waste of talent and money. Personally, I can see no significant upsides to From being brought under the MS wing as they already seem to have pretty much unlimited creative freedom to make the games they want in the style they are famed for...

I do really hope they are quietly some way down the road on a Bloodborne sequel though and that, if so, it still gets a release.

59 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Bullshit of course, but there's another notable Polish developer that comes to mind - People Can Fly, of Bulletstorm fame. That would indeed be a perfect fit for Microsoft and a likely acquisition. Iirc they're independent now.

Owned by Epic; renamed Epic Poland.

Those leaks are ridiculous, yes GTA VI next March because that makes sense :wacko: 

Just now, Stanley said:

Those leaks are ridiculous, yes GTA VI next March because that makes sense :wacko: 

GTA VI would have to be cross gen anyway to make the most of the user base. Rockstar aren’t interested in selling three or four million (or even thirty million) copies.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mike S said:

The very last thing I'd want to see From doing is being reduced to working on old MS/Rare franchises - it would be the definition of a waste of talent and money. Personally, I can see no significant upsides to From being brought under the MS wing as they already seem to have pretty much unlimited creative freedom to make the games they want in the style they are famed for...

I do really hope they are quietly some way down the road on a Bloodborne sequel though and that, if so, it still gets a release.

They have close ties with Sony too, Japan Team having already worked on Bloodborne and Demon’s Souls. I don’t think MS would waste the opportunity with Phil Spencer in charge but I still can’t see it happening. 

From are already owned. The Kadokawa Corporation bought them in 2014. 

16 minutes ago, footle said:

Owned by Epic; renamed Epic Poland.

From Wikipedia:

On August 20, 2007, Epic Games acquired a majority share in the company.[1] The firm was fully acquired in August 2012 by Epic, and subsequently rebranded itself as Epic Games Poland in November 2013.[2][3] However, on June 24, 2015, it was announced they had become independent and they will revert to using their old name and logo.[4]

Yeah was just about to post that.  It can't have been too contentious because they worked on Fortnite after the split.

5 hours ago, Mike S said:

The very last thing I'd want to see From doing is being reduced to working on old MS/Rare franchises

Imagine if they bought From to do that! I mean it’s ridiculous enough them buying them, but then to put them on games that aren’t their thing would be absolutely bonkers. 

5 hours ago, mdn2 said:

From are already owned. The Kadokawa Corporation bought them in 2014. 

Doesn’t mean they can’t be bought. 

26 minutes ago, JPL said:

Imagine if they bought From to do that! I mean it’s ridiculous enough them buying them, but then to put them on games that aren’t their thing would be absolutely bonkers. 

I have no idea if you are serious or not.

Just now, Mike S said:

I have no idea if you are serious or not.

Well, the whole thing is completely ridiculous, so I was just picturing how mental a scenario it’d be! Nobody would by From to change the kind of games they make. They do their own thing and it’s pretty much universally praised.

From Software going to XGS would be megafuckington but I really really doubt it. Just for multiplatform reasons. But how are their finances working out with their current owner - maybe they feel they can get a better development environment within XGS?

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Well, the whole thing is completely ridiculous, so I was just picturing how mental a scenario it’d be! Nobody would by From to change the kind of games they make. They do their own thing and it’s pretty much universally praised.

I never suggested they would do that.

I was responding to other posts who may well be more informed than I am when it comers to speculating on what MS may or may not do with such an acquisition. 

There was this *rumour* a while ago

https://www.altchar.com/game-news/rumour-elden-ring-gameplay-could-be-shown-at-xbox-series-x-reveal-event-aNvZ29x4LbbO

According to the latest rumours, Microsoft asked Bandai Namco to delay showing more Elden Ring stuff until their big event in April/May 2020, when the company is set to fully reveal Xbox Series X.

Via some era member ..

Probably total fucking bullshit

They haven't made their recent acquisitions work on previous IP.  In fact by all accounts they've been very hands off in determining what their new studios work on other than approving the ideas brought to them. 

7 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I never suggested they would do that.

I was responding to other posts who may well be more informed than I am when it comers to speculating on what MS may or may not do with such an acquisition. 

What? You said this...

5 hours ago, Mike S said:

The very last thing I'd want to see From doing is being reduced to working on old MS/Rare franchises

I’m not having a go at you, I just thought it’d be proper funny if that actually happened, that’s all!

I’m not informed in these kind of things at all, but I can tell you that isn’t ever going to happen.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

What? You said this...

I’m not having a go at you, I just thought it’d be proper funny if that actually happened, that’s all!

Yes, I was responding to suggestions made by others.

As I said.

2 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Yes, I was responding to suggestions made by others.

As I said.

Ok, I just thought it was funny! Calm down.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

Ok, I just thought it was funny! Calm down.

Maybe try reading the thread for context before wading in with the hysterical sarcasm?

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

They haven't made their recent acquisitions work on previous IP.  In fact by all accounts they've been very hands off in determining what their new studios work on other than approving the ideas brought to them. 

This. So far it looks like they've bought Obsidian to keep making Obsidian games, inXile to keep making inXile games, Double Fine so they can keep doing funny business, difference being that these studios can now do so with a proper budget and support. Until the current leadership of Phil and company leave and the next dude in line to run the Xbox division turns out to be another Mattrick, this is a good thing. 

Microsoft is not going to buy From Software, but if they did they would do so to let them make more Souls or whatever it is that they want to make.

46 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

There was this *rumour* a while ago

https://www.altchar.com/game-news/rumour-elden-ring-gameplay-could-be-shown-at-xbox-series-x-reveal-event-aNvZ29x4LbbO

Via some era member ..

Probably total fucking bullshit

Not necessarily, Sekiro also had a co-marketing deal with Microsoft instead of Sony, didn't it? It was iirc always shown on the Xbox stage. It's not unthinkable that they're doing the same with Elden Ring. It does not, however, indicate that Microsoft is buying From or that Elden Ring is suddenly an Xbox x-clusive. 

On 17/01/2020 at 19:16, Boozy The Clown said:

Jez Corden the Windows Central guy is suspicious about the Lockhart console maybe not being a console due to the secrecy over it. A 4Teraflop xcloud server blade or even a handheld xbox ?

What if this is an X-Cloud based handheld/dockable switch like device  with matching X-cloud server chips and gubbins. Feasible ? Probable ? It certainly would end the confusion at the point of sale for all those casual dafties. Expecting people to use a controller with their phone seems a little off to me, and having tried it, it didn't ring as the future of gaming it's purported to be (be that 5 or 10 years from now). However a dedicated streaming device that can be used both with the TV and as a handheld kinda does.

Merely throwing ideas out there to be ridiculed, derided or give food for thought.

If people are going to make up rumours then surely they can put in the tiny bit of effort required to make them credible? 

Microsoft buying Sega? Not credible. 

Microsoft buying Relic Entertainment from Sega? Credible. 

Lying doesn't have to be hard. 

32 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Maybe try reading the thread for context before wading in with the hysterical sarcasm?

What the fuck is going on here?! You’ve properly taken this the wrong way. I just thought it was something we could all have a laugh about.

4 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

What if this is an X-Cloud based handheld/dockable switch like device  with matching X-cloud server chips and gubbins. Feasible ? Probable ? It certainly would end the confusion at the point of sale for all those casual dafties. Expecting people to use a controller with their phone seems a little off to me, and having tried it, it didn't ring as the future of gaming it's purported to be (be that 5 or 10 years from now). However a dedicated streaming device that can be used both with the TV and as a handheld kinda does.

Merely throwing ideas out there to be ridiculed, derided or give food for thought.

A 4 teraflop handheld would cost a fortune though surely?