rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - out November

I assume this would be the culmination of the PC-under-your-TV goal, albeit with the posts having moved quite a bit with the 'PC' aspect coming to meet console side halfway due to the move towards Windows Core OS, which is basically a closed platform.

Microsoft is aggressively moving ahead with hardware in the console space to shake up the industry.

Because they’ve lost the race and are desperate to get back to the starting line.

30 minutes ago, Broker said:

Because they’ve lost the race and are desperate to get back to the starting line.

It's not a bad thing when someone has to bust a gut to catch up.

• Upvote 4

Not on principle, but Microsoft are one of those insufferable corporations incapable of apologising. They always act like their attempts to catch up are a favour they’re doing you, and like their mistakes were incredible ideas that you just weren’t ready for. Microsoft aren’t trying to “shake up” the industry to make it better or more interesting, they’re desperately trying to protect their profits.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

Potentially a base and "X" model out of the gate, then? Also, you have to assume a teaser at least late this year/early next in order to hit 2020. 

The whole point of consoles is that you're meant to have a unified base for development.

Just now, Smitty said:

The whole point of consoles is that you're meant to have a unified base for development.

That doesn't change if you mandate the game must be up to scratch on the S/slim, which is what they've done now.

My prediction is that Scarlet is the next console and a VR headset, not two separate consoles. 

I still think it's a bit early for VR too, Until the units cost around £100 or less I don't see it being adopted.

One thing's for sure they won't release before the PS5, Pretty sure they realise now they need to have the most powerful box on the market going forward as threre's no point being behind a system that will have a larger install base due to Microsoft's inability to penetrate certain foreign markets.

22 minutes ago, Broker said:

Not on principle, but Microsoft are one of those insufferable corporations incapable of apologising. They always act like their attempts to catch up are a favour they’re doing you, and like their mistakes were incredible ideas that you just weren’t ready for. Microsoft aren’t trying to “shake up” the industry to make it better or more interesting, they’re desperately trying to protect their profits.

They've spent the last four plus years appologising for Matrik's regime and the mistakes. They've added a crazy amount of features and are the only company with an insider program and early access to get actual feedback from the users. This gen is the first time Xbox has been profitable, If they wanted to protect profits they wouldn't have invested it plus more into buying five studios plus Mojang.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

23 minutes ago, Broker said:

That’s what always happens though. Whoever is losing gets in early and decides what the next game is.

At the tail end of the last generation, Microsoft and Sony were consolidating the console as an all in one entertainment device. Sony got in early and made the next race about supporting “gamer” features, a shift which Microsoft weren’t ready for as they focused on the current state of the industry.

Before that, it was Microsoft placing online at the forefront in a way Sony were totally unprepared for and selling the console at a price point Sony’s rampant weird-tech fetish couldn’t meet.

With the PSone it was about the console as a lifestyle product.

It goes on and on. Microsoft will have a picture for what gaming should be that tests well with focus groups and they’ll put Sony in a position of matching it or making something more appealing.

• Upvote 6

Don’t worry, with knockoffs of Apple’s stupid face camera going in to so many phones it’ll be cheap enough to build into the controllers soon.

Has anyone actually done a knockoff of Apple’s camera? I thought the “copies” were all just ordinary cameras and none of the IR or whatever? Maybe I’m wrong. 

With talk of the streaming service gubbins coming in at some point MS could quite easily claim that all games run on all XBox Ones simply by saying that they can all stream the latest gen stuff. That’s if they go the streaming route that Sony has. 

Either way. I think it’s still going to be an uphill battle for MS and they have to keep doing what they’re doing if they want to chip away as Sony’s lead. All we need is for Sony to make some bone headed announcement that none of your digital purchases will carry forward or something equally crazy. 

Basically after a really slow start with games on the consoles, we ended up with last year being amazing for games. I think the next few years (now that MS have ramped up the number of studios they have) will be equally great for anyone with both consoles (or all 3 if you know what’s good for you).  

I think MS have knocked it out of the park with the engineering on the S And X so the next gen is also going to be pretty special.

I think Microsoft should stick to XBOX 1 Format rather than replace it like PS3 to PS4. Upgrade it if there is demand, then kill off XBOX One X (Original after a decade) and all the hardware and games are not lost. 

19 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

With talk of the streaming service gubbins coming in at some point MS could quite easily claim that all games run on all XBox Ones simply by saying that they can all stream the latest gen stuff. That’s if they go the streaming route that Sony has. 

Either way. I think it’s still going to be an uphill battle for MS and they have to keep doing what they’re doing if they want to chip away as Sony’s lead. All we need is for Sony to make some bone headed announcement that none of your digital purchases will carry forward or something equally crazy. 

We need that?

I imagine MS are looking at the success of the Switch and the “multiple pieces of hardware” might refer to a portable version of the console which is less powerful, but built on the same architecture.

56 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

U think the next few years (now that MS have ramped up the number of studios they have) will be equally great for anyone with both consoles (or all 3 if you know what’s good for you).  

It'll be interesting to see how quickly that much-needed (and hugely correct) decision pays off. Sony studios spent ages cranking out 2nd tier inFamous, Killzone and the like before seemingly all hitting their stride in the last year or so.

Even allowing for how long it takes to make a game, it'll be really doubly impressive if the new studios produce the sort of titles MS arguably need on the first go.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Chooch said:

I don't think anyone is going to bother with V R next gen. 

And you're basing that on ... ?

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

And you're basing that on ... ?

Just my gut feeling based my own experiences of it. 

Interesting, my gut feeling based on my own experiences of it have me cautiously hopeful the next gen will go even further with VR. High res, higher fidelity, better lighting in game, more specific tracking, and more innovative games. 

VR is absolutely fantastic, did you just not get on with it?

• Upvote 2

I've said this before, but right now VR is a lot of hassle and faffing and I have cats, at least one of which would chew the wires if given the chance. 

If the standard console came with VR capability and the headset was an optional extra and wireless with minimal set up, I'm in. 

The could possibly do a switch style controller with built-in accelerometers which splits in half for VR stuff and clips together for normal games. 

There are a few Mixed Reality headsets that are already wireless, right? It'll be weird if this new one doesn't support it. 

As azure (blue) is their cloud service, maybe scarlet (red) is the corresponding client machine that’s cloud storage only, or even streaming gameplay only.

• Upvote 2