rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - out November

31 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Any idea when in July the next presentation will be?

Week of July 20th seems to the current rumour. 

Includes a suitably hyped up exclusive picture to look at. 

Not much in the way of new news though. He makes it sound like the Series S might be a much more traditional looking console than the Series X due to to cost considerations. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Fargo said:

I do think MS will phase out the sale of the X and S model Xbox One fairly quickly in favour of the Series S and X. I think the S could have huge potential. A smaller form factor, quieter  machine, with all the same bells and whistles just at 1080p/1440p would be great. I thrust MS to do a good job on the Series X build quality but if I thought it was going to be another PS4 Pro scenario I'd gladly forego 4K in favour of a quieter more compact machine. 

MS didn’t make the PS4 Pro though. ;)

• Upvote 1

The article for that video from the previous page

https://www.thurrott.com/games/xbox/237240/the-latest-on-lockhart

One thing that Microsoft mandates is when they let employees/third-parties travel with the hardware, they ask them to disguise the product. This is a standard practice in the industry but for the Anaconda, Microsoft recommended employees put the hardware in a PC tower, subwoofer, or something else that is quite large. For Lockhart, Microsoft has said that the hardware should be disguised by using Durango or Scorpio covers which means the device is not the same shape as the series X.

4 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's easily explainable, but it's not like iPhone 10, iPhone 10 XL, iPhone 11 which I think you instantly understand.

I hate myself for doing this. There wasn't an iPhone 10 XL.

In 2017 they released iPhone X (pronounced "10"), in 2018 came the iPhone XR (bigger but worse screen than the X), XS (almost identical to the X), and XS Max (6.5" screen), then 2019 brought iPhone 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max (basically the XR XS & XS Max with an extra camera lens) and as has been pointed out already this year the iPhone SE was released which looks just like the iPhone 8 (not to be confused with iPhone SE from 2016 which was an iPhone 6S in the body of an iPhone 5S).

Looks like Uncle Mike is right, people understand this.

Posted (edited)

Wait, the “max” is the smallest?

[edit]

no, R, S, and XS are not sizes...

Edited by SeanR

6 minutes ago, SeanR said:

no, R, S, and XS are not sizes...

Ha, never thought of XS like "extra small", yeah the naming conventions are nuts since they skipped the 9, just like MS went straight to Windows 10.

6 hours ago, SeanR said:

with drive, without drive. Other than that, identical.

Yeah, real confusing.

"Daddy I want a PS5. I love my PS4"

Daddy comes home with a PS5 after part exchanging the PS4, feeling he's got an absolute bargain.

Child cries big salty tears as single digit IQ daddy has failed to take into account he needed to get the one with a disk so his son could continue to play his PS4 game disc

I seriously doubt any of these stupid scenarios will happen to any great degree.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

I'll tell you what will be really funny.   If the Series S has the better framerate due to having to deal with a lower res.   It becomes the machine that will pump out a solid 60/120 fps all day long compared to the Series X and PS5 with their mostly 30/60/120 frame rates with occasional dips.

I think we'd truly see if frame rates are more important to people or resolution.  :D

I can only assume the people who think people have no trouble understanding Apple device naming don't have relatives.

No, people generally don't understand it, the thing is, Apple have a million staff in the shops who do, Microsoft just closed all their shops and you're relying on, at best, the guy in GAME.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dudley said:

I can only assume the people who think people have no trouble understanding Apple device naming don't have relatives.

No, people generally don't understand it, the thing is, Apple have a million staff in the shops who do, Microsoft just closed all their shops and you're relying on, at best, the guy in GAME.

Or - and tell me I’m wrong here - nobody who cares enough about iPhones to know the granular distinction between the feature set of the XR and the iPhone 11 is going to buy the wrong one.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Dudley said:

I have brothers and sisters who are not up to date on the latest tech.  This is what happens.  

"What number is the latest iphone?"

"Do I want the big one or the small one"

"Which price am I comfortable paying" (usually the cheaper one.)

Most iPhones don't get sold from the apple store. It's the likes of o2 or carphone warehouse etc that people order them off using that logic above.

"People are too stupid to understand stuff like I do"

Is basically what a lot of you are saying.  Embarrassing.

:lol:

Exactly the same is going to happen with the xbox.

Do I want the latest Xbox? 

Do I want the one that does 4K and is more expensive?

That's about as complicated as it's going to get for 95% of people.

• Upvote 4

What were this generation’s consoles? The PS4, then the new PS4 but also the other new PS4 that does 4K; the Xbox One, then the new Xbox One but also the other new Xbox One that does 4K; and the Switch, then the Switch that doesn’t switch.

I can understand the concern in principle but somehow this never turns out to be a problem.

• Upvote 2

This is getting boring now guys and feels more like trolling than anything constructive.

• Upvote 9

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

What were this generation’s consoles? The PS4, then the new PS4 but also the other new PS4 that does 4K; the Xbox One, then the new Xbox One but also the other new Xbox One that does 4K; and the Switch, then the switch that doesn’t Switch.

I can understand the concern in principle but somehow this never turns out to be a problem.

because they’re classed as midget mid-gen refreshes?

Edited by SeanR
Autocorrect

And the Switch that has a better battery, after a certain date. 

We'll figure it out. 

8 minutes ago, TehStu said:

And the Switch that has a better battery, after a certain date. 

We'll figure it out. 

PSVita with OLED screens

GBA SP AG101 with better screens

DS, DSlite, DSi, 3DS, 2DS, XLs

5 hours ago, Alex W. said:

What were this generation’s consoles? The PS4, then the new PS4 but also the other new PS4 that does 4K; the Xbox One, then the new Xbox One but also the other new Xbox One that does 4K; and the Switch, then the Switch that doesn’t switch.

Wii U says otherwise.

• Upvote 1

It may not have been, but it won't have helped, I know people that found out it was a distinct console after it was already dead.

• Upvote 1

The WiiU was marketed badly, but it’s a stretch to think MS are going to make the same mistakes. They’ve been really open so far and their messaging has been really clear. Why would they mess it up now? It doesn’t make any sense.

• Upvote 1

Having played a few games through GeForce Now I'm thinking what I'll do when XCloud launches.  For me it's been good enough to consider as my main way of playing.  Sooooo maybe I should try PSNOw and XCloud and see how I cope on those rather than pay for hardware at launch.  I'm hoping PS5 games come to PSNow at some point .

From what I've seen it's looking like:

20th July = First party games reveals

?st/rd/th August = Series S reveal

(We could obviously get a little teaser for B in A as well or they may surprise everyone completely and drop both)

Excited to see how they pick the Halo ball up after dropping it massively with Guardians, I hope they have gone bold with it and mixed up the format. Also really looking forward to The Initiative's (possibly Perfect Dark) reveal too, the list of talent they have pulled together to create the studio is impressive.

Does anyone have a list of rumoured games that might get seen beyond these?

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

20th OF JULY!!

Source? Nothing official from Xbox yet as far as I can see.