rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - out November

Wait, when did we start calling micro transactions MTs? :blah:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hitcher said:

So not exclusives then!

That's just one game known to be in development. The entire quote is there to suggest we will be getting next gen only titles on PS5.

I'll be buying both a PS5 & Xbox Series X at launch, I've got an X and Game Pass to 2022. I'm just sharing what I've read.

22 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Well thank you to MS for - yet again - helping me to chose Playstation to get at launch. I'd swung like a chimp in a tyre between getting PS5 or XboxSX but probably not now.

You'd have thought they'd have learned after the last-gen launch's hilarious fuck uppery. It's as though they like slow starts at the beginning of the new generations.

You're not getting an Xbox series X because they aren't dropping xbox one?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

It’s great MS are investing in their own devs but those Sony games are all around the 90 mark on metacritic. It took years for those studios to get to that level.

MS will really need to support these guys and invest in them properly, they can’t be pulling no Scalebounds this time. 

Surely stuff like Scalebound makes it easier to understand why we haven't heard much yet about what those studios are working on. Scalebound, Phantom Dust and Crackdown are all perfect examples of titles being announced too early and showing too much too soon. 

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Are they all brand new studios MS have bought then? I know the Forza Horizon lot have setup a new team, but I thought the others were established devs.

Sorry I meant years working with Sony.

I have to hand it to them, last gen they were not devs I would personally bank on to deliver the goods, but now anything they’re working on can waltz straight into the “most anticipated” club. 

49 minutes ago, bear said:

Surely stuff like Scalebound makes it easier to understand why we haven't heard much yet about what those studios are working on. Scalebound, Phantom Dust and Crackdown are all perfect examples of titles being announced too early and showing too much too soon. 

Oh yeah I’m not complaining we haven’t heard anything yet, just that we shouldn’t expect big games from them anytime soon.

let ’em cook for sure.

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Yeah of course. Just need to be the right secret sauce.  And the XBox One sold great, of course. It just didn;t sell as welll as PS4.

In the end , for me, it's just about games. I dont care about game pass or ps now, or what's free and what isn't. I just want great games , and I'm happy to pay for them. PS4 absolutely nailed that last gen, to the point where its probably the best gaming machine i have ever owned. MS were so bad at it I didn't even bother buying a XBox One ; first time I have not had all major options in decades.

If MS produce great quality games, then they have me as a customer. It's as simple as that.

Yes I feel exactly the same as you, I would rather pay individually for each game as I don’t play that many anyway, I also like physical stuff! Like you say it’s all about the games and provided MS produce those I will continue buying their hardware. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Sorry I meant years working with Sony.

I have to hand it to them, last gen they were not devs I would personally bank on to deliver the goods, but now anything they’re working on can waltz straight into the “most anticipated” club. 

Insomniac proved that given time and backing they can come up with something incredible , same with Guerilla . If MS do the same with their acquisitions then there is no reason that come 2022 we won’t see some Very special titles .

12 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Insomniac proved that given time and backing they can come up with something incredible , same with Guerilla . If MS do the same with their acquisitions then there is no reason that come 2022 we won’t see some Very special titles .

Agreed but that still seems quite quick to me.

Those are both devs that are already quite comfortable with big-budget, triple-A game dev and Horizon still took 7 years to make. Spider-man “only” took 4 years so...we’ll see I guess.

1 hour ago, bear said:

Hellblade 2 *cough* ;)

I loved what they showed but at the same time couldn’t help thinking how Phil Spencer was breaking his own (newish) rule about showing things early. He even said it was “very early in development”. I hope they don’t make that a regular thing as I dislike the multi year hype cycle for games and it inevitably backfires sometimes when titles are delayed, cancelled or simply changed from earlier showings.

It almost always takes at least two years (with some notable exceptions) for new consoles to have anything as good as what’s on the previous gen. For years the best gaMes on PS4 were remasters. 

Sony have gotten into a good rhythm of a super brilliant exclusive every year or so, but I’d be surprised to see anything as good as Horizon, Spiderman, TLOU or God of War at launch. Unless they’re remasters.

1 minute ago, womblingfree said:

Sony have gotten into a good rhythm of a super brilliant exclusive every year or so, but I’d be surprised to see anything as good as Horizon, Spiderman, TLOU or God of War at launch. Unless they’re remasters.

I'm going to bet a bollock that Horizon Zero Dawn 2 will be a PS5 launch title.

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Well thank you to MS for - yet again - helping me to chose Playstation to get at launch. I'd swung like a chimp in a tyre between getting PS5 or XboxSX but probably not now.

You'd have thought they'd have learned after the last-gen launch's hilarious fuck uppery. It's as though they like slow starts at the beginning of the new generations.

That's not very accurate is it? The reality was at the last gen launch Xbox had eight exclusives and PS had three.

31 minutes ago, Revival said:

That's not very accurate is it? The reality was at the last gen launch Xbox had eight exclusives and PS had three.

Xbox also had mandatory Kinect, strict DRM and always online requirements. That was last gen fuck uppery. This time it's "We're not making any games for your new £500 console!". 

11 hours ago, AI1 said:

I'm going to bet a bollock that Horizon Zero Dawn 2 will be a PS5 launch title.

I’ve just sprung for three years of Gamepass and can’t afford two brand new launch consoles, so hope not.

16 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Xbox also had mandatory Kinect, strict DRM and always online requirements. That was last gen fuck uppery. This time it's "We're not making any games for your new £500 console!". 

They are making games for it. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

But they are making games for it, they're just giving you a choice of platforms from which to play them. Choice isn't a bad thing. 

Even if they weren't making games for Xbox One, they'll still be released for PC giving consumers even more choice. 

And then there may even be streaming to mobile devices in the not too distant future, meaning you don't need to buy any Xbox or Microsoft branded hardware at all to play them. 

This is the route Microsoft are taking and has been well known for years now. 

• Upvote 1

I know what MS are doing and I know why they're doing it, and in a way it's quite noble of them, but in terms of deciding which next-gen console to get at launch I personally would rather have the one with the next-gen games. That's all I'm saying. 

35 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Sony banned hacked acounts, Upped the price and halved the content on PS+, Updated PS Now so newly added first party content is only there for three months, Denied cross play for most of the gen, Denied other subscription services, Invested the PS profits back into other divisions meaning first parties are seemingly stuck on repeating the third person cinematic formula over and over. Sony have shuttered more studios this gen than anyone else. There's been more than enough 'fuck uppery' on both sides.

They are making new games for the XSX, It's just it makes more sense and is more community friendly if more people can enjoy them so cut down versions will be available for Xbox owners who can't afford a new system at launch.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

This time it's "We're not making any games for your new £500 console!". 

I'm hoping this is a joke post, because it isn't true in the slightest. There'll be plenty of next-gen games available for it and they'll run far better on the Series X. They're just giving the option to be able to play their first-party games on current consoles for those who can't afford it or don't want to upgrade yet, until the the full-on next gen games arrive.

It's a really pro-consumer move of them and should be seen as a positive.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

6 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I know what MS are doing and I know why they're doing it, and in a way it's quite noble of them, but in terms of deciding which next-gen console to get at launch I personally would rather have the one with the next-gen games. That's all I'm saying. 

Or to put it another way, you'd rather buy the console that has software only available on that particular console which is perfectly reasonable and actually pretty awesome because you get the best of both worlds/platforms. 

Just now, Chadruharazzeb said:

Yeah, see my previous post. 

But the Series X will have next gen games. You'll just be able to play cut down versions on current consoles. Why are people finding it so hard to understand, and why are people so quick to spin it as a negative, when it really isn't?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Or to put it another way, you'd rather buy the console that has software only available on that particular console which is perfectly reasonable and actually pretty awesome because you get the best of both worlds/platforms. 

Exactly. 

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

But the Series X will have next gen games. You'll just be able to play cut down versions on current consoles. Why are people finding it so hard to understand, and why are people so quick to spin it as a negative, when it really isn't?

It's fairly similar to what has happened at the start of this gen, except that we'll have crossplay across XOne, XSX and W10. Sounds decent to me. 

1 minute ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Exactly. 

Doesn't sound like that much of a fuck up when we get a decent win out of the situation. 

Stop worrying about Microsoft's Series X sales figures and just enjoy the games ;)

14 minutes ago, JPL said:

Not at first it won't. This is a fact. Don't argue with facts, kid. 

7 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Doesn't sound like that much of a fuck up when we get a decent win out of the situation. 

Stop worrying about Microsoft's Series X sales figures and just enjoy the games ;)

I'm not worried about anything, I'll just be getting a PS5 to begin with. :)

7 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

I don't really see how it's cynical? MS have fallen way behind in sales this generation, need some momentum going into next gen and the studios they've bought won't bare much meaningful fruit until well into next generation. There's no doubt they're heavily subsidising Game Pass, particularly for those of us who've done the three years for a quid thing but it means you're likely going to stick with them into next gen which seems a smart move on their part, arguably the smartest thing they've done this gen. It's likely going to force Sony's hand to follow suit in much the same way MS followed Sony with PSPlus/GwG which is good for consumers. Not sure the microtransaction argument holds up to much scrutiny either. 

Poor choice of words. Many of the studios that have joined XGS have been in need of some kind of financial stability. I doubt the people getting up to work in these studios every day appreciate the idea that someone thinks they have been ‘bought’.

15 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Not at first it won't. This is a fact. Don't argue with facts, kid. 

I'm not worried about anything, I'll just be getting a PS5 to begin with. :)

Have fun... Er... Kid :lol: