rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - out November

2 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

All the shinies.

The future's so bright Series X requires shades.

Reminds me of the 'Two to Tango' video from the original Xbox launch :)

29 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

It looks like 2001 CGI!

Graphics cards manufacturers need to stop because their efforts are always the "programmer tech over art design" mess.

Even just showing RT in a not-even-particularly-new game can show how it looks so much better:

Lambda need to give their office cleaning contractors a raise, that is some seriously shiny surfaces. 

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

It looks like 2001 CGI!

Graphics cards manufacturers need to stop because their efforts are always the "programmer tech over art design" mess.

Even just showing RT in a not-even-particularly-new game can show how it looks so much better:

AMD demo's are always cringe inducing, the 'Ruby' stuff they were doing a few years ago was awful.

Nvidia have a much better example of real time ray tracing with their Star Wars demo.

Spoiler

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

All the shinies.

The future's so bright Series X requires shades.

I see someone finally made Tim Langdells Mirrors (a game by) EDGE :coffee:

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

AMD demo's are always cringe inducing, the 'Ruby' stuff they were doing a few years ago was awful.

Nvidia have a much better example of real time ray tracing with their Star Wars demo.

Hide contents

I remember seeing that and hearing it was running on some sort of super computer. Was pretty blown away when I was running it real-time a few months later on my machine.

11 minutes ago, amc said:

I remember seeing that and hearing it was running on some sort of super computer. Was pretty blown away when I was running it real-time a few months later on my machine.

when you say “real-time”..?

can you interact with it, even if it’s just moving the camera around?

The scene is rendered in real-time on the machine but the demo doesn't offer interaction. I'm guessing you already know you can't move the camera though. 

13 hours ago, Nequests said:

So much shininess it actually looks a bit retro. Beyond the Mind's Eye for Series X launch exclusive.

“A bit” ? :lol:

That video is awesome, though I’ve no idea if it’s parody or reality. 

The biggest news for all these Series X reveals is the fact it's still using the Xbox One dashboard.

I hope they change it and that's just a temporary solution to show it off for now, if they keep it as is then I'd have to seriously consider whether i can put up with that moving forward.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

The biggest news for all these Series X reveals is the fact it's still using the Xbox One dashboard.

I hope they change it and that's just a temporary solution to show it off for now, if they keep it as is then I'd have to seriously consider whether i can put up with that moving forward.

8134CC87-DB2C-4FF5-9AD8-AE7714E72B3F.gif.7d7a17b3e05056c4e7d8df8abecc4811.gif

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

They change it every year anyway

38 minutes ago, Wallace said:

They change it every year anyway

Yeah true, the current one is actually the best it's been this gen for me, that said i still have a few issues that irritate me a lot, my menu button (3 horizontal lines) seems to take about 5 seconds between pressing it and the menu appearing,  it's just a bit baffling to be honest.

No one presses the menu button, They use the guide button.

Anyway here's the sound tech to be used in the series X:

• Upvote 3

I personally find the Xbox UI perfectly fine now after the last update, it was a complete bag of shite when I got my One X last Easter but now I would say it’s no worse than the PS4’s UI.

After being the worst console UI ever for years imho (so laggy! So unclear) it's now indeed on par with the PS4 finally. Arguably even slightly better because it's so customizable.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I did what I do with all UI and stripped it down to the absolute bare essentials. I still think things are hidden away in strange places sometimes, but it's mostly fine.

9 hours ago, gooner4life said:

Yeah true, the current one is actually the best it's been this gen for me, that said i still have a few issues that irritate me a lot, my menu button (3 horizontal lines) seems to take about 5 seconds between pressing it and the menu appearing,  it's just a bit baffling to be honest.

The UI is something that an SSD and a decent CPU will make bearable. Most of it at the moment feels like shit seek times.

5 hours ago, Revival said:

No one presses the menu button, They use the guide button.

The guide button can't bring up the menu to manage the game etc, so that's clearly not right.

Well, Pressing the menu button doesn't take five seconds, so that's clearly not right either.

Even on the buggiest insider builds it's immediate on my setup with one external HDD.

The UI is super fast compared to previous iterations. It's a really good improvement.  Conversely I've found my Ps4 to be slow as fuck lately. Almost like first time use is slow and after that it's cached in memory. Took 10 seconds or so for the TV apps to appear the other day because I'd not gone in there for a while.  I assume I need to do a database rebuild to fix that or is it just how it is as we've got more functionality?

It’s probably downloading images. Xbox used to do that and that’s why it was laggy where as now they’re happy to use placeholders and let the data load slower.

• Upvote 1

[Rumour] A few Xbox podcasts I listened to this week say they've reliably heard that MS have weeks worth of media ready  to drop at their leisure regarding games and hardware from trailers to more tech details or demos. Including the Lockhart machine, which DF are rumoured to have also seen.[rumour]

• Upvote 3

Probably because you brought up the UI as an issue and we had to endure a bunch of posts about the fucking UI again. Last week you were schooling us on the intricacies of CPU design and architecture yet you find a console front end baffling ?

The secret sauce ?

• Upvote 2