rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - power your dreams

14 hours ago, Phil said:

You’ll likely need to upgrade that Ryzen CPU though. The consoles are going to have 8 cores/16 threads...

Possibly or I'll just steam the new games to the current PC rather than upgrade. It will give my current PC longer legs and it is perfectly adequate for everything else I need of it.

This is why streaming is an interesting proposition for me as I don't have to update my PC hardware to keep up with the latest games... So saving hardware costs....

Wasn't he being sarcastic with that statement? More cores doesn't necessarily mean better/faster. If that was the case all PC enthusiasts would be on Ryzen.

Not being sarcastic. Games developed for console will (in the longer term) be coded to run on the maximum available cores/threads which is going to be problematic for some 4-core PC CPUs.

Which is in theory just smart.

Except of course for people with non-god tier connections, the amount of bandwidth required to stream will probably knock out the download.  Especially on ISP supplied routers with awful QoS.

But those problems notwithstanding, the ability to get through the first hour of "Intro you don't care about"  "Tutorial teaching you to press the right stick forward to move forward" and "Please guess which of these difficulty levels corresponds to 'remotely possible'" immediately is very useful.  It's not like you need twitch reactions in order to walk 5m forward and pick some fruit.

• Upvote 1

To add to the discussion from a few days ago. FH4 and the latest Gears game are some of the most polished and optimised PC games around. Almost as if the developers learnt lessons from their initial offerings. :sherlock:

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Stevie said:

VR will never be mainstream until the price drops dramatically, and thats just how it is. 

don’t think anyone is in disagreement there

6 hours ago, Stevie said:

VR will never be mainstream until the price drops dramatically, and thats just how it is. 

Never is a bold statement. Perhaps not in our lifetimes. Or perhaps we are all living in a VR world right now.... Just not aware... :)

12 Teraflops to do 4K versus 4 Teraflops to 1440p doesn't seem quite right (based entirely  on my highly scientific approach of looking at a picture comparing screen resolutions) but I'm guessing the article is vauge enough that the base model might be a fraction higher than that so the numbers could line up perfectly. 

I'm curious to see just how cheap a 1440p next-gen console could be. I'm assuming it won't have an optical drive so could they release the Lockhart console for $299? 

23 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

To add to the discussion from a few days ago. FH4 and the latest Gears game are some of the most polished and optimised PC games around. Almost as if the developers learnt lessons from their initial offerings. :sherlock:

Yeah, while I said I don't find myself playing FH4 on PC, it worked just fine for me and the cross save between formats worked flawlessly, if not always quickly.

• Upvote 1

That controller has a new button. I'm assuming it's a dedicated share button. 

Series X for Anaconda, Series S for Lockhart maybe? 

Why didn't they just revert to "Xbox" as the name, if it truly will be backwards compatible with a lot of the back catalogue of Xbox games?

1 hour ago, SteveH said:

Why didn't they just revert to "Xbox" as the name, if it truly will be backwards compatible with a lot of the back catalogue of Xbox games?

Because there will most likely be at least 2 series of the console and the name differentiates this. 

Well, the name's confusingly similar to the Xbox One X but the box sure isn't. I'm kind of curious as to how everything's laid out in there given that it supposedly works horizontally too.

I guess the two different models will be differently named consoles in series X?

Well that's a reveal I didn't expect at the Game Awards. Props to the design team, Looks v smart and compact.

• Upvote 2