rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - power your dreams

56 minutes ago, Dudley said:

That is the dumbest thing.

Not least, did they not learn anything from Wii U.

"So it's an Xbox one X game?"

"Yes"

"So I can play it on my Xbox one x?"

"No"

Even I’m left asking that. Is Series X an X series and is my Xbox One X part of that X series?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kevvy Metal said:

Im personally not sold on anything else though. 

What else is there to be sold on right now? It looks cool, it has a refined pad, works with all current games & has the expected SSD & Hardware Raytracing. 

Until we get final specs and see footage of games running, there's not much to be sold on.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Broker said:

What? How can you design a case without knowing final specs? What if the cooling or space were insufficient?

If all the components are standard they must have a pretty good idea?

I like it. The backward compatibility is almost enough to sell it to me alone.

Plus I’m gamepassed up to 2199 or something. 

• Upvote 6

21 minutes ago, Broker said:

What? How can you design a case without knowing final specs? What if the cooling or space were insufficient? 

Happened with the Xbox 1 in 2013. CPU was upped from 1.6Ghz to 1.75 before release, after reveal. Also happened with the 360, the RAM got doubled from 256GB to 512GB.

Not keen on the design. It looks fine but I don’t want bulky AV equipment. I just want something that fits in my TV stand. 

Anyway, I have no intention of upgrading from my One X until it loses the ability to play new releases. 

That d-pad is also terrible. The only good thing about it on the elite controller was it looks cool. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

Even I’m left asking that. Is Series X an X series and is my Xbox One X part of that X series?

I reckon it will be, yeah. They've obviously still got plenty of time to explain how it'll all work, as this was just a design reveal.

I quite like the design. It might not fit in the slot on a TV stand, but it'll sit on top, and I don't think it'll look particularly out of place while doing so - it's not the standard black monolith console design, it's not particularly overbearing.

I'm less bothered about the actual power of the new console(s), and more interested in the reduced loading times. If this and the new Playstation will run all my existing games and also largely eliminate loading times, then that's a reason to buy in itself. Balls to sitting around waiting for Destiny or Fallen Order to load.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

If all the components are standard they must have a pretty good idea?

Maybe for some components, but something like their gorgeous cooling system for the One X would require relatively clear knowledge of the CPU power, especially if it’s an SOC handling graphics duties as well. In order to design an efficient bespoke cooling system for a specially designed chip you’re going to want to lock heat within a certain range, otherwise you’re just doing a steam box and selling a PC, negating the usual advantages of a console.

7 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Happened with the Xbox 1 in 2013. CPU was upped from 1.6Ghz to 1.75 before release, after reveal. Also happened with the 360, the RAM got doubled from 256GB to 512GB.

RAM could be increased, but we’re in massively diminishing returns for that component. I guess maybe they could’ve throttled dev kit processors to leave overhead for raising the core speed. The original Xbox one had a large, standardised case that could accommodate and cool regular PC components, which this doesn’t look like it will.

2 minutes ago, K said:

I'm less bothered about the actual power of the new console(s), and more interested in the reduced loading times. If this and the new Playstation will run all my existing games and also largely eliminate loading times, then that's a reason to buy in itself. Balls to sitting around waiting for Destiny or Fallen Order to load.

Destiny loads aren’t going anywhere, a lot of the waiting must be for network stuff, because my PC with a nice SSD barely loads it faster than my PS4.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, K said:

I quite like the design. It might not fit in the slot on a TV stand, but it'll sit on top, and I don't think it'll look particularly out of place while doing so - it's not the standard black monolith console design, it's not particularly overbearing.

Am I missing something? Because it looks  exactly like a big black monolith to me. 

• Upvote 7

27 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

That's a pretty low bar to set, to be fair.

Precisely. 

Still need someone else to come up with the names obviously. 

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

Well Phil Spencer and the Xbox team have them at home now, so ignore the bullshit that the dev kits arent final, the hardware is final and it's 10/15% weaker than PS5 again.

If the PS5 is using a software based Ray Tracing solution as suggested then it's going to need that extra power to bring it in line to a system that has a hardware based solution.

If either console is only 15% stronger than the other then they should still both be capable of delivering a 4K 60 fps experience anyway.

2 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Surely that can't be the final form factor. There are no USB ports on the front or side.

2C4BB429-5989-4892-A146-AE3D480295E3.thumb.jpeg.5213e9b2e297a76f8c80afcd23a4bb21.jpeg

• Upvote 6

43 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

That's a pretty low bar to set, to be fair.

I always liked the original 360 with the concave top and bottom. And the One S looks great, a big white game playing slab.

• Upvote 3

The rumours seem to suggest that PS5 dev kits are currently more capable than the new Xbox kits, but devs are largely putting that down to Sony's development software being more mature and the actual guts of the machines are broadly equal. Both companies have to place bets on where to put the balance of price vs performance, so this talk of, "MS would never let Sony win the spec war again" is largely academic. It's not a race they can knowingly choose to win or concede, as they have no way of knowing what exactly Sony is doing with the PS5. It is what it is now, if they want full launch next year and the cases have been designed, the specs are locked.

As to the reveal... wow, wasn't expecting that. It's a good trailer, the design is different, modern, sleek and should look comfortable in most modern living room setups. The name could well lead to Wii-U style branding problems, in which people are unsure if it's a revision of the current box or a new console in it's own right, I know I had to wait a moment to properly digest what I was looking at.

I am surprised they've shown the box and controller this early though. I had assumed that would be the big reveal moment at the end of what I assume will be their planned reveal party. Still, a good reveal vid and it's nice to get some more details about MS's next console.

• Upvote 1

I like the look it, reminds me of a more bulky Apple AirPort Extreme.

And for the sake of everybody's sanity, I do hope in 2021 there'll be no Xbox Series Pro that's better but not that much, Xbox Series XZ 1.5 Lite that's less powerful than the Pro but powerful than the vanilla one but comes without a drive.

• Upvote 1

It’s the X series. So surely it’s going to be a series of consoles at launch with different specs and different price points. Basically a PC tower case with different PC spec options inside. If so, what would that mean for devs?

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Broker said:

Destiny loads aren’t going anywhere, a lot of the waiting must be for network stuff, because my PC with a nice SSD barely loads it faster than my PS4.

It takes about two minutes to go from the title screen to the character selection screen, it must be loading something during that time. I struggle to believe it's just doing network stuff during that period.

It does, once you choose your character you're in space within seconds. So it loads some stardust, a distant planet and the map overlay. It does not load the inventory, that shit loads whenever it is least convenient.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

MS would never let Sony win the spec war again" is largely academic. It's not a race they can knowingly choose to win or concede, as they have no way of knowing what exactly Sony is doing with the PS5.

Well, they'll know exactly what's in the devkit. 

1 hour ago, Mr Tony said:

It did what now

(512GB of RAM in 2005 was about $30,000)

• Upvote 2

Just now, Wahwah* said:

Well, they'll know exactly what's in the devkit. 

Too late then though, surely. There may be some minor wiggle room on clock speeds, but once you're shipping dev kits, the core tech is locked down.