rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - power your dreams

Love the looks, for me I think a new Xbox and gamepass trump's PS5. TBH I don't care which is more powerful, gamepass is like printing free games.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Revival said:

If the PS5 is using a software based Ray Tracing solution as suggested then it's going to need that extra power to bring it in line to a system that has a hardware based solution.

If either console is only 15% stronger than the other then they should still both be capable of delivering a 4K 60 fps experience anyway.

they both have hardware accelerated ray tracing 

• Upvote 1

There will only be one Xbox Case for any given game in the shops. You take that game home and it'll install whatever version is required for your console. Whether it's an X series console or an S series console. 

It's not that much of a stretch for the imagination because that is how it works today. 

It's seems obvious to me that going forward we'll just have newer versions of console added to the X series and S series and the game cases and discs will remain the same. They're going full iPhone model with the console market. 

• Upvote 1

Ah, no doubt I'll end up getting both of them, flogging them both intermittently, and repurchasing them both multiple times over. 

I have absolutely no financial or fiscal responsibility whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

It is an odd name no doubt but I don’t think they will have a problem marketing it to avoid confusion. As we don’t know yet what the line-up of hardware is going to look like we can’t really judge. 

£449 Xbox Series X

£300 Xbox Series S 

Maybe?

I can’t see the current X sticking around as it would muddy the waters. Maybe they rebrand and keep the current diskless S going  (Series A?) as a dirt cheap (£99?) option. 

I think it looks good and is likely to look a lot better in real life. It LOOKS powerful. Practically speaking though the height of it on its side and in an AV unit could be a problem for some I would think. Not me though. It will be standing tall and proud. 

Gamepass for this will be an absolute winner. And the fact I can use my elite series 2 with it and all my other controllers is fantastic. 

9 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

It is an odd name no doubt but I don’t think they will have a problem marketing it to avoid confusion. As we don’t know yet what the line-up of hardware is going to look like we can’t really judge. 

£449 Xbox Series X

£300 Xbox Series S 

Maybe?

I can’t see the current X sticking around as it would muddy the waters. Maybe they rebrand and keep the current diskless S going  (Series A?) as a dirt cheap (£99?) option. 

I think it looks good and is likely to look a lot better in real life. It LOOKS powerful. Practically speaking though the height of it on its side and in an AV unit could be a problem for some I would think. Not me though. It will be standing tall and proud. 

Gamepass for this will be an absolute winner. And the fact I can use my elite series 2 with it and all my other controllers is fantastic. 

The One X is just the older X series console, it'll still work but theres a newer version of it coming out. Similarly the One S will no doubt be replaced with the new and improved S Series console. 

And this is what people mean by no more console generations. Just newer models of the same brands.

2 minutes ago, Wallace said:

The One X is just the older X series console, it'll still work but theres a newer version of it coming out. Similarly the One S will no doubt be replaced with the new and improved S Series console. 

And this is what people mean by no more console generations. Just newer models of the same brands.

Yes that makes sense. New X and new S renamed as ‘series’. 

PS5 does have an advantage on paper though. It does sound more like a whole new console rather than an upgrade. Even if the end results performance wise are nigh on identical. 

I say it every time and having recently sold my PS4 pro I am readying myself to be a one main console household and I’m hoping this beast of a machine will do. If Gamepass stays good, it’s silent and I can use my controllers I will be very happy. Until the first top tier PS5 exclusive comes out that is!

1 minute ago, Yiggy said:

Yes that makes sense. New X and new S renamed as ‘series’. 

PS5 does have an advantage on paper though. It does sound more like a whole new console rather than an upgrade. Even if the end results performance wise are nigh on identical. 

I say it every time and having recently sold my PS4 pro I am readying myself to be a one main console household and I’m hoping this beast of a machine will do. If Gamepass stays good, it’s silent and I can use my controllers I will be very happy. Until the first top tier PS5 exclusive comes out that is!

PS5 definitely has that distinctive 'next gen' message to it, no doubt about it.

We could potentially be seeing different paths between MS and Sony here. Sony sticking to the traditional break in console generation (however they would be absolutely mad not to have backwards compatibility, as in complete bonkers), and MS going for iterative hardware releases that will effectively allow cross-play between Xbox One, One S, One X, Series X, Series S, PC and even through potential back-compat as we've seen with Xbox 360.

Alongside Xbox Series X, we also unveiled the new Xbox Wireless Controller. Its size and shape have been refined to accommodate an even wider range of people, and it also features a new Share button to make capturing screenshots and game clips simple and an advanced d-pad derived from the Xbox Elite Series 2 Wireless Controller. The new Xbox Wireless Controller will be compatible with Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs, and will be included with every Xbox Series X.

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

There will only be one Xbox Case for any given game in the shops. You take that game home and it'll install whatever version is required for your console. Whether it's an X series console or an S series console. 

It's not that much of a stretch for the imagination because that is how it works today. 

It's seems obvious to me that going forward we'll just have newer versions of console added to the X series and S series and the game cases and discs will remain the same. They're going full iPhone model with the console market. 

Which works right up until older models stop being able to run games, how do you brand that?  A PC style system requirements box?

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Which works right up until older models stop being able to run games, how do you brand that?  A PC style system requirements box?

No idea! What do Apple do with iPhone/iPad? "iPhone 1234 or newer required"?

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Why do we need to see what this looks like a year before it’s even out? Console makers are so behind in that sense. 

Why not?

I don't get why people think this is such a headfuck for consumers. The new Xbox will run old games. The old Xbox won't run new ones. That's it. That's all the information potential buyers will have to hold in their brains to understand the system.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, K said:

I don't get why people think this is such a headfuck for consumers. The new Xbox will run old games. The old Xbox won't run new ones. That's it. That's all the information potential buyers will have to hold in their brains to understand the system.

Because MS.