Jump to content
rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - power your dreams

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

Sony sticking to the traditional break in console generation (however they would be absolutely mad not to have backwards compatibility, as in complete bonkers)

 

 

No BC and I switch to Xbox Series X for next gen.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All credit to Microsoft for injecting a bunch of imagination-firing madness in to the design, services and ecosystem of their next console. It’s a shame the controller’s so boring because otherwise this would be all the implausibility of a 2005 pre-E3 hoax brought to life.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, K said:

I don't get why people think this is such a headfuck for consumers. The new Xbox will run old games. The old Xbox won't run new ones. That's it. That's all the information potential buyers will have to hold in their brains to understand the system.


I think the issue is the naming system is confusing. I keep calling this the Xbox One Series X. People are bound to get confused regarding which is which. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JPL said:

Why not?

I just tend not to get excited about this stuff when it’s still a year away. I kind of like the Apple way of here it is, buy it in two weeks time. I mean don’t get me wrong I’m excited about Halo and stuff but it’s all just a long way off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I think it looks great and I'm interested so that's what they set out to do surely? 

 

Now, as ever, let's see the games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I just tend not to get excited about this stuff when it’s still a year away. I kind of like the Apple way of here it is, buy it in two weeks time. I mean don’t get me wrong I’m excited about Halo and stuff but it’s all just a long way off. 

The Apple way pisses me off constantly. I always feel like I shouldn’t buy something because you never know what’s around the corner.

 

The opposite of that is shit like the FFVII reveal 40 years ago. Sony apparently ‘won’ E3 with that, yet it’s still not appeared.

 

This middle ground is ok with me. We know there’s a new console coming. I appreciate seeing it, so they can talk about the good stuff in the next year up to launch.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’d agree with that, the middle ground being Nintendo, although even they fuck up (Prime 4).

True. It’s a fine balance.

 

I know I’m seen as a bit of an MS fanboy, but I’m really looking forward to seeing them try to regain some ground on Sony again. They’ve been making all the right noises for the better part of this gen, even though they’d already lost. This kind of competition is only good for us gamers in the long run, so it’s good to see them not throwing in the towel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That wasn’t the point I was making at all. They undoubtedly have had stellar output from SWS.

 

But their communication with fans has fallen off a cliff. There’s nobody talking to the press like Phil does, and how they did at the start of the generation. 
 

All the execs who I associate with the PS4’s launch have basically left or been sidelined, and we’re left with some arsehole who nobody likes giving us shit excuses for why we can’t have cross play (regardless of whether this has now been walked back). 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the look of the console, and that was a cool trailer, but the cuboid nature of it will definitely invite comparisons to PC gaming 'rigs'. It'll be interesting to see how the design sits with the casual gaming market as it's so different from everything else currently out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just thought of something. It’s going to have a brand new UI right? I mean it has to what with the current one being pretty much widely disliked?

 

Only with the more subtle upgrade paths they’re creating (like an Apple ecosystem) that could suggest the UI would stay the same. If so that really would make it feel like less of a step up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Gamepass negates any tiny power differences for me :coffee:

 

I think this is where MS are going now.

 

A hardware win is not only really difficult for them, it's also not particularly profitable given that many mainstream gamers don't care or misunderstand which is the most powerful console.

 

MS are trying to lock in the existing fanbase with backwards compatibility, and get new players in via the amazing value of Gamepass. It's a good strategy IMO as they're not areas PlayStation seem interested in competing in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NickC said:

A hardware win is not only really difficult for them, it's also not particularly profitable given that many mainstream gamers don't care or misunderstand which is the most powerful console.

 

This whole sentence is nonsense man. They can/could/might have have made a faster machine than the PS5. It's Microsoft. Richest bastards in the world.

Gamers do care about which is the most powerful. It's not often that it isn't the deciding factor during launches.

 

Also, never underestimate Sony's ability to balls it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t look like it’ll fit in my av rack.

@yashiro the sheer saving I’ll make from “the shit first party games to show off what the consoles new features do are free at launch with my Gamespass subscription and I don’t have to buy yet more controllers” will override any desire to buy a PS5 for the first year or so.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this will be the first time ever that I only have to buy the new console itself and nothing else. Usually it's at least one extra controller and as many games as I can afford. With Game Pass I already have all the games. Amazing.

 

Edit: @footle the sheer saving can also be put towards a new av rack ;)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah, this will be the first time ever that I only have to buy the new console itself and nothing else. Usually it's at least one extra controller and as many games as I can afford. With Game Pass I already have all the games. Amazing.

 

Edit: @footle the sheer saving can also be put towards a new av rack ;)


It’s a bit of furniture. I suspect the console will have to stand vertically on its side by the window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yashiro said:

 

This whole sentence is nonsense man. They can/could/might have have made a faster machine than the PS5. It's Microsoft. Richest bastards in the world.

Gamers do care about which is the most powerful. It's not often that it isn't the deciding factor during launches.

 

Also, never underestimate Sony's ability to balls it up.


No, *this* is nonsense. Microsoft have a lot of resources, but they’re a business with the objective of making profit, not making the most powerful console by any means necessary. They’re only going to push the boat out on power if they think it’s worth the expenditure, and it looks like they’re concentrating on the service aspects. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, yashiro said:

 

Gamers do care about which is the most powerful. It's not often that it isn't the deciding factor during launches.

 

 

These so called gamers you speak of that choose their platforms based on power are usually the same fuckers who brags about their big TVs they play their games on. I swear, this minority is so dense they speak of how much more powerful their system is compared to the other systems on the market, yet they choose to play it on a 75" telly that cost less than a grand, making it look shit anyway. 


I personally don't know a single person who chose a console based on what's under the hood, what's the fucking point in that? By that logic, should I also get the most powerful car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rayn said:

 

These so called gamers you speak of that choose their platforms based on power are usually the same fuckers who brags about their big TVs they play their games on. I swear, this minority is so dense they speak of how much more powerful their system is compared to the other systems on the market, yet they choose to play it on a 75" telly that cost less than a grand, making it look shit anyway. 


I personally don't know a single person who chose a console based on what's under the hood, what's the fucking point in that? By that logic, should I also get the most powerful car?

Erm, weren’t you around at the start of this generation? One of the main factors that most went PS4, besides it being cheaper, was that it was more powerful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JPL said:

Erm, weren’t you around at the start of this generation? One of the main factors that most went PS4, besides it being cheaper, was that it was more powerful.

 

I pretty sure that it being cheaper, plus having a better selection of games from the off had a lot more to do with its success than its power. There are people that buy their entertainment system because of its power, but shouldn't entertainment be more about fun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.