rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - power your dreams

2 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I pretty sure that it being cheaper, plus having a better selection of games from the off had a lot more to do with its success than its power. There are people that buy their entertainment system because of its power, but shouldn't entertainment be more about fun?

Maybe you should go back and look at the old threads. Power was stated repeatedly.

And what’s this about it having better games at launch? That’s just not true either.

But yeah, I do agree with you. It should be about fun. That’s why I think Gamepass is a good thing for MS going into next gen. All those games ready to play at launch is a big plus for me. I’ll get the PS5 once there are a load of decent exclusives a year or two in.

23 minutes ago, JPL said:

Erm, weren’t you around at the start of this generation? One of the main factors that most went PS4, besides it being cheaper, was that it was more powerful.

I think it was less the PS4 being slightly more powerful and more the Xbox One being a steaming turd at launch that cost £100 more with Kinect mandatory and talk of stringent DRM. 

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, K said:

I don't get why people think this is such a headfuck for consumers. The new Xbox will run old games. The old Xbox won't run new ones. That's it. That's all the information potential buyers will have to hold in their brains to understand the system.

They won't really know which one the new one is.

Xbox One X, Xbox Series X.

There is no way to expect people who are not immersed in gaming to know which one is the new one.  iPhone 3,4,5,6,7.... fine.

The thing about the iphone is it'll only ever show you stuff you can run and there aren't boxes in stores.  If someone's mum, or even most people see a box saying "Xbox <something> X" in a store they will assume their "Xbox <something> x" can run it.

It's not going to be the difference between format failure and success, especially in this consolidated gaming era but it's going to be a problem and it's going to be a problem for the entire generation and even beyond for the likes of CEX.

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, Thwomp said:

I can't believe they've gone back to that shite d-pad :facepalm:

Same d-pad as the Elite 2 which is good.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rayn said:

I pretty sure that it being cheaper, plus having a better selection of games from the off had a lot more to do with its success than its power. There are people that buy their entertainment system because of its power, but shouldn't entertainment be more about fun?

The first 2 years of exclusives was pretty poor actually:

Killzone: Shadow Fall

Knack

Driveclub

Infamous Second Son

LittleBigPlanet 3

MLB 14: The Show

The Last of Us Remastered

Like, that was pretty comparable with Microsofts stuff at the time (or even now), a racing game (Forza), a shooter (Halo), an open world B-game with good traversal where you shoot bad guys (Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising, Crackdown 3).

I think it was probably 2015 with Bloodborne and the next wave of software revealed at E3 that Sony first party stuff started to be rated a bit better, but even then you've got misses like the Order 1776 and lots of last-gen re-releases padding stuff out. It was a minor meme early-gen contrasting how much of an instant phenomenon the PS4 was with how no-one could really name a game that justified getting one, especially with all the cross-gen third-party stuff at the time being so buggy.

• Upvote 5

26 minutes ago, JPL said:

But yeah, I do agree with you. It should be about fun. That’s why I think Gamepass is a good thing for MS going into next gen. All those games ready to play at launch is a big plus for me. I’ll get the PS5 once there are a load of decent exclusives a year or two in.

Yeah, Gamepass may actually be the killer service for me going into the next gen. Unless Playstation Now is heavily updated, Sony will not be able to compete on this specific offering. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The thing about the iphone is it'll only ever show you stuff you can run and there aren't boxes in stores.  If someone's mum, or even most people see a box saying "Xbox <something> X" in a store they will assume their "Xbox <something> x" can run it

But the expectation, based on what Uncle Phil has said*, is that yes the old X will also be able to run those games. The disc will probably act as unlock key for the XCloud streaming version.

*About Xbox as a brand not being tied to hadware. Xbox will be everywhere on anything.

37 minutes ago, JPL said:

Maybe you should go back and look at the old threads. Power was stated repeatedly.

The power thing was mainly post-launch. Pre-launch it was the DRM fiasco, mandatory Kinect and higher price. Plus the whole "If you're backwards compatible you're really backwards" hubris from Mattrick. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I think pre-launch we weren’t too sure whether it would be less powerful or not given that it had that embedded RAM that was supposed to make up for things. Post-launch when people started testing it that crystallised to the perfect storm of “it’s a slower PS4 for $100 extra with a Kinect you can’t unplug” that we all now know.

24 minutes ago, Dudley said:

There is no way to expect people who are not immersed in gaming to know which one is the new one.  iPhone 3,4,5,6,7.... fine.

The thing about the iphone is it'll only ever show you stuff you can run and there aren't boxes in stores.  If someone's mum, or even most people see a box saying "Xbox <something> X" in a store they will assume their "Xbox <something> x" can run it.

It's not going to be the difference between format failure and success, especially in this consolidated gaming era but it's going to be a problem and it's going to be a problem for the entire generation and even beyond for the likes of CEX.

Or people will just look at the price tag and figure it out?

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Dudley said:

This is one year out. There will probably only be one X around by then except for those xbox ones floating around second hand. I dont know but I think thats how its going to be.

50 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I think it was less the PS4 being slightly more powerful and more the Xbox One being a steaming turd at launch that cost £100 more with Kinect mandatory and talk of stringent DRM. 

Maybe, but his point was that only idiots base their console choice on power. A lot of PS4 owners on here did just that. Of course there were other factors, as I already mentioned, like it being cheaper. Plus all that Kinect bollocks.

Either way, I was just saying quite a few people do want the most powerful console and it doesn't necessarily make them an idiot.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Anecdotal child feedback. 

Apparently everyone at my 13 year old sons school ‘has an Xbox and gets all their games off Gamepass’. When a new game hits everyone plays it. That jump force is the latest one that’s got them all talking. 

That’s a pretty important group for MS to capture. 

• Upvote 8
  • Empathy 1

I LOVE the hardware design. It is brave to leave behind the old boring (admittedly practical for AV unit owners) flat box. I won't personally be getting it due to the amazing way MS support their games on PC and PC game pass but love the way they went with it. 

The name? Same font and having a Xbox name with an X? Is that not risking confusion?

I wonder if all they've done is indicated this is 'in' their X series high spec range/category of systems and it's got an actual name that they'll reveal later?

They've got a year to sort that out if need be.

23 minutes ago, Revival said:

I wonder if all they've done is indicated this is 'in' their X series high spec range/category of systems and it's got an actual name that they'll reveal later?

They've got a year to sort that out if need be.

If that is what they’ve done it’s also rather cretinous 

13 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Yes it is. Very cretinous. 

1. foolish or stupid

2. physically deformed and having learning difficulties as a result of congenital thyroid deficiency. 

I think Boozy may be implying that he believes the numbered definitions under a dictionary entry are the entire collective meaning of a word and not - as they actually are - separate interpretations.

Bear with him. (Boozy, that doesn’t mean you’re accompanied by a grizzly bear right now).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

We’d previously been working with the console’s codename, Xbox Project Scarlett, which now joins the Xbox Scorpio (what you’ll know as the Xbox One S)

Hmmmm.

The Wii U was a bad name because the Wii U concept was almost the opposite of the Wii because of just how complicated the controller was. And the marketing was utter shite. 

This just looks like it's going to be another Xbox. 

The names a bit boring but it's not some indecipherable puzzle. 

4 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

The first 2 years of exclusives was pretty poor actually:

Killzone: Shadow Fall

Knack

Driveclub

Infamous Second Son

LittleBigPlanet 3

MLB 14: The Show

The Last of Us Remastered

Like, that was pretty comparable with Microsofts stuff at the time (or even now), a racing game (Forza), a shooter (Halo), an open world B-game with good traversal where you shoot bad guys (Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising, Crackdown 3).

I think it was probably 2015 with Bloodborne and the next wave of software revealed at E3 that Sony first party stuff started to be rated a bit better, but even then you've got misses like the Order 1776 and lots of last-gen re-releases padding stuff out. It was a minor meme early-gen contrasting how much of an instant phenomenon the PS4 was with how no-one could really name a game that justified getting one, especially with all the cross-gen third-party stuff at the time being so buggy.

did you include crackdown 3 in that post, comparing launch exclusives?

On 13/12/2019 at 14:13, Wallace said:

PS5 definitely has that distinctive 'next gen' message to it, no doubt about it.

We could potentially be seeing different paths between MS and Sony here. Sony sticking to the traditional break in console generation (however they would be absolutely mad not to have backwards compatibility, as in complete bonkers), and MS going for iterative hardware releases that will effectively allow cross-play between Xbox One, One S, One X, Series X, Series S, PC and even through potential back-compat as we've seen with Xbox 360.

The PS5 has already been confirmed to be backwards compatible with the PS4 and has cross-gen online support, which is precisely why Sony are supporting it, vendor lock-in finally makes perfect business sense.

"Backwards compatibility, in a networked era, becomes something that is incredibly powerful," PlayStation boss Jim Ryan explained. "Because the gaming community is somewhat tribal in its nature, backwards compatibility gives us the opportunity to migrate that community from PlayStation 4 to next gen using the ability to play the PS4 games they have on their next generation console - groups of 10, 20, 50 gamers. So we see this, given the size of the community that we've been able to accumulate over all these years and hard work on PlayStation 4 as a really critical success factor for us. We think it's incredibly important."

Deputy president John Kodera added that this will help Sony bridge engaged players from one generation to the next: "Cross-generation the community can enjoy the games together."

With the vent being on the top of this, is there any chance of it collecting dust, getting blocked and overheating? 

I'm going horizontal anyway, just wondering as pretty much every other consone is side vented or rear vented.