rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - power your dreams

8 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Nice one. There's even an option to get an Xbone X now and then upgrade to some form of scarlett (hopefully the proper one) next year, although you have to re-up for another 24 months at that point and give them the Xbone X back. Anyone fancy crunching the numbers on that to figure out if it's a good deal (as opposed to buying both and getting 3 months for gamepass ultimate for £1 and assuming they don't jack the price up to like fifty quid a month next december) or not?

My mate did something like this at Game and told me he had the deal of a lifetime, spending like £550, based on the monthly cost, to own a BoneX, a spare controller, some Gamepass, and Gears 5 (free on Gamepass anyway) with some unspecified upgrade path to Scarlett.

I just nodded and smiled and congratulated him on it. But, really though: :doh:

As far as i can tell the scarlett thing is only that you can hand back the X early if you lock yourself into a scarlett at an unspecified monthly rate for another 24 months.

I was tempted to do that Xbox Access thing but a few things stopped me when I looked into it a bit more. Firstly, they don't guarantee getting Series X on launch, but you will be able to upgrade "at some point". Also I don't trust that GAME won't go bust. Knowing my luck, they probably would. The finance deal is through a third party but with GAME handling the handover, it just feels messy.

Debating the best place to preorder this once they go live. Amazon is my obvious choice but every console launch I remember people having issues. GAME I guess. 

20 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Nice one. There's even an option to get an Xbone X now and then upgrade to some form of scarlett (hopefully the proper one) next year, although you have to re-up for another 24 months at that point and give them the Xbone X back. Anyone fancy crunching the numbers on that to figure out if it's a good deal (as opposed to buying both and getting 3 months for gamepass ultimate for £1 and assuming they don't jack the price up to like fifty quid a month next december) or not?

It’s ok based on RRP, and assuming you won’t trade the console in, but who pays RRP?

Xbox 1X -£280. Xbox live, 3 years, U.K. retail, £150. Ultimate upgrade, £1. So £430 for a 1X and three years of gamespass ultimate.

One year you’ve paid them £300. I’d expect you’d be able to flog the 1X for £100-120 next year, and you’re basically two years of games pass ultimate to the good, if you can afford the upfront cost.

This had started to make me rethink my plans to build a PC. I'm thinking of buying one of these on trust with game pass and building a cheaper PC with a budget GFX card for 1080p gaming e.g. gtx1660.

It is looking more and more likely the Xbox will be my next gaming choice alongside my switch. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

This had started to make me rethink my plans to build a PC. I'm thinking of buying one of these on trust with game pass and building a cheaper PC with a budget GFX card for 1080p gaming e.g. gtx1660.

It is looking more and more likely the Xbox will be my next gaming choice alongside my switch. 

It’s either a series X or PC upgrade for me as well. Game Pass pretty much rules out a PS5. To be honest I’m leaning towards a new graphics card. Whatever card AMD come up with in 2020 most likely.

That guy is going to lose his mind when he finds out all the servers the game industry uses aren't climate friendly either.

• Upvote 1

We should all use Stadia because then we’re not using a console at all which means our carbon footprint is reduced to zero. 

20 minutes ago, Stanley said:

We should all use Stadia because then we’re not using a console at all which means our carbon footprint is reduced to zero. 

Google actually have a carbon neutral cloud. So you can sleep easy ;)

I predict that the series X will cost £499 in the UK. With a cheaper cut down version of the console available around the same time.

On 27/12/2019 at 19:50, Ghosty said:

I predict that the series X will cost £499 in the UK. With a cheaper cut down version of the console available around the same time.

I think the launch and price/specs anouncements will be for one console only. They need to be laser focussed on on message to the market unlike last time when different execs were giving different answers.    Reveal of a lower spec version will depend on what Sony do and how they perform in the first few months I reckon

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

I think the launch and price/specs anouncements will be for one console only. They need to be laser focussed on on message to the market unlike last time when different execs were giving different answers.    Reveal of a lower spec version will depend on what Sony do and how they perform in the first few months I reckon

One thing that neither Microsoft or Sony will mention is the frame rate cap for multiplayer. The PS4 Pro has this in effect already.

6 hours ago, rafaqat said:

I think that they can do that with two models. S for 1080p. X for 4K. Both twice as powerful as the previous versions.

Developers are going to have to put the work in to support the S, so Microsoft are going to have to commit to it a lot earlier than you're suggesting or end up with compatibility issues.

2 hours ago, Super Craig said:

I think that they can do that with two models. S for 1080p. X for 4K. Both twice as powerful as the previous versions.

Developers are going to have to put the work in to support the S, so Microsoft are going to have to commit to it a lot earlier than you're suggesting or end up with compatibility issues.

I think they can inform devs well in advance of a system launch without making any public announcement. Plus most devs already know how to scale with pc hardware differences. I’m just saying publicly taking about it and launch will probably be separate. I just can’t see it.  

7 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I think they can inform devs well in advance of a system launch without making any public announcement. Plus most devs already know how to scale with pc hardware differences. I’m just saying publicly taking about it and launch will probably be separate. I just can’t see it.  

Developers may already know how to target multiple machines, but they're not all going to go back and do that work post-release. We've already seen that with the Pro/X.

We could just see one high spec console on release. Perhaps for a year or so to lessen the impact a new console has on the previous one. That would make business sense for Sony.

How many PS4 pros and xbox one x consoles have been sold? 

How much of a market is there for a high powered, premium console? Being under powered hasn't seem to hurt Nintendo Switch sales too badly. 

I'm very interested to see what price this will launch at and how it sells. 

The sales of 4k TV's has been slow. Most are happy with 1080p for films and the like. Same with PC gaming. When you add supersampling/AA/AF then the difference in image quality becomes small. 60 FPS will be talked about more.

:lol: It will be all about the games. As it should be. Showcasing high end graphics with all the bells and whistles added should get the point across. 

2 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

:lol: It will be all about the games. As it should be. Showcasing high end graphics with all the bells and whistles added should get the point across. 

They won’t show the poverty spec version along side the bells and whistles edition, and there’ll be PS4pro style disclaimer “your experience may differ depending on hardware configuration” or whatever it currently says in those adverts.

11 minutes ago, SeanR said:

They won’t show the poverty spec version along side the bells and whistles edition, and there’ll be PS4pro style disclaimer “your experience may differ depending on hardware configuration” or whatever it currently says in those adverts.

Watchdogs springs mind when I read this. Remember that? Running on a dual SLI that no one could afford.