Jump to content
rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - power your dreams

Recommended Posts

So i'd guess some kind of dongle to connect up to an xbox controller? But if thats the case whats the point with project xcloud?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

I like they don't just go 1,2,3,4 (it's a bit different)


they didn’t want to launch the Xbox 2 vs the PlayStation 3, so they called it the Xbox3(60)

 

but there’s no where to go from 360 (720?), so they confused everyone by calling the Xbox 3 the Xbox One. Giving us the OG Xbox nominature.

 

and the rest is history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah. I liked the Xbox 360 name and brand, it worked well (especially in the context of the gaming/retail at the time). We would often refer to it just as “the 360” and it never felt wrong or silly. Perhaps it’s the fond memories of the hype, the damp early morning release day queue outside Game and following Major Nelson excitedly doing his PR thing rose-tinting my glasses.


The issue is I don’t think they ever needed to “go” anywhere with it. They could have just decided to come up with interesting names for each one. Make it creative, exciting, evocative and shareable. Certainly “One” has never really clicked for me even after all this time (it is still just “the Xbox”), and I still think “Scorpio” would have been a better option over the “One X”.

 

I like ”Xbox Series X” even less but have been surprised how excited I am about the prospect of getting it  as I was a bit ‘meh’ on next-hen until the last few weeks.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xbox 4(K) instead of One X and then 5S and 5X if they have to use the S/X. Then you've got number parity with Sony.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

They could have just decided to come up with interesting names for each one. Make it creative, exciting, evocative and shareable. Certainly “One” has never really clicked for me even after all this time (it is still just “the Xbox”), and I still think “Scorpio” would have been a better option over the “One X”.

 

All the generations of Xbox console have a reason for their naming according to Microsoft, the One was designed to be "the One", the centre of the living room console.

 

And if you read between the lines, this upcoming generation seems designed to follow a more regular continuum of released hardware, much more like most other consumer electronic device families.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mushashi said:

 

All the generations of Xbox console have a reason for their naming according to Microsoft, the One was designed to be "the One", the centre of the living room console.

 

And if you read between the lines, this upcoming generation seems designed to follow a more regular continuum of released hardware, much more like most other consumer electronic device families.

It’s just all too confusing though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, my info on this console comes exclusively from Elmo and the lads on TCGS

 

It sounds like a cheap X (er, the one that’s been out a few years I mean) is the way to go for the next few years. Is this correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Super Craig said:

Xbox 4(K) instead of One X and then 5S and 5X if they have to use the S/X. Then you've got number parity with Sony.


AND iPhones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sandman said:

So, my info on this console comes exclusively from Elmo and the lads on TCGS

 

It sounds like a cheap X (er, the one that’s been out a few years I mean) is the way to go for the next few years. Is this correct?

 

If you're only playing Microsoft funded games maybe, the major independent publishers haven't said anything yet about how they will approach things. At least one of them based in America is working on what has been described as a Next Gen game that is way beyond what is doable on current gen consoles graphically.

 

Impressions from a games journalist from last August (he used to write for Diehard GameFan magazine, which had the best image layouts in the business)

 

Quote

Wanted to answer some general questions about what I saw.

Game was not shown behind closed doors at e3

Really early

Running on PS5

I didn't see Scarlett so I can't directly compare

Framerate wasn't always smooth....seemed to be in the 20-30fps range

Open world and the scope was unbelievable. Never seen anything like it...far beyond Witcher/BOTW/HZD

Even so, close up details were beyond anything I have seen before

Ray Traced reflections....looks really impressive

Dynamic destructable environments...this game is just WTF

When I asked him about the SSD, he got visably nervous. Didn't want to talk about it at all.

As good as it looks, I get the feeling this isn't a launch game, really early.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, sandman said:

So, my info on this console comes exclusively from Elmo and the lads on TCGS

 

It sounds like a cheap X (er, the one that’s been out a few years I mean) is the way to go for the next few years. Is this correct?

 

Depends. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/01/2020 at 17:43, fattakin said:

The Cyberpunk delay is excellent news as I’ll save playing it until the series X lands. We have a launch game!


They should absolutely delay it again until the new consoles launch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sandman said:

So, my info on this console comes exclusively from Elmo and the lads on TCGS

 

It sounds like a cheap X (er, the one that’s been out a few years I mean) is the way to go for the next few years. Is this correct?

It's too early to say. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sandman said:

So, my info on this console comes exclusively from Elmo and the lads on TCGS

 

It sounds like a cheap X (er, the one that’s been out a few years I mean) is the way to go for the next few years. Is this correct?

Hell no. Unless you want to exclusively play downgraded first party Microsoft games, that's a terrible way to go about this. People like us are always going on and on about TEH EXCLUSIV3Z but let's be honest - the vast majority of what we play in a generation is multiplatform. Look at the yearly GotY lists, multiplatforms as far as the eye can see. And I'm willing to bet whatever bollocks @PeteBrant has left that Microsoft has ZERO say in third-party publishers deciding whether they want to bother supporting last-gen hardware.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but I don’t even have a 4K tv and I was playing Gears 5 and Assassins creed Rogue remastered on my S this morning and thought they both looked amazing 

 

Ive no incentive to get a 4K tv and would have thought one was essential if I get the new Xbox 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sandman said:

Yeah, but I don’t even have a 4K tv and I was playing Gears 5 and Assassins creed Rogue remastered on my S this morning and thought they both looked amazing 

 

Ive no incentive to get a 4K tv and would have thought one was essential if I get the new Xbox 

 


no one knows.  Wait till Xmas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sandman said:

Yeah, but I don’t even have a 4K tv and I was playing Gears 5 and Assassins creed Rogue remastered on my S this morning and thought they both looked amazing 

 

Ive no incentive to get a 4K tv and would have thought one was essential if I get the new Xbox 

 

 

Hence why it depends. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or he hasn't played the growing list of big budget games which run like crap on the base X1, a list which is likely to grow more rapidly once the Next Gen consoles become the primary development focus for most publishers, leaving the last gen consoles to external port houses with the thankless task of getting those games working on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Or he hasn't played the growing list of big budget games which run like crap on the base X1, a list which is likely to grow more rapidly once the Next Gen consoles become the primary development focus for most publishers, leaving the last gen consoles to external port houses with the thankless task of getting those games working on them.

 

I think "like crap" is overegging it a bit.  :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the most well funded and stuffed full of talented individuals development studios in the world are struggling already to get their current gen games running well on the base X1, it's a situation that is hardly likely to improve going forward.

 

Respawn entertainment

Infinity Ward

 

Not exactly developers who are clueless. There are reasons to leave behind the base consoles apart from higher resolution output support.

 

The tech gods at Remedy didn't have much luck with it at the start either. I could compile an exhaustive list, but I only have so many spare hours in my day.

 

Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be an interesting one, given the stated ambition of that game, or maybe they scaled back their ambitions early on to ensure it ran well on the base machines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mushashi said:

If the most well funded and stuffed full of talented individuals development studios in the world are struggling already to get their current gen games running well on the base X1, it's a situation that is hardly likely to improve going forward.

 

Respawn entertainment

Infinity Ward

 

Not exactly developers who are clueless. There are reasons to leave behind the base consoles apart from higher resolution output support.

 

The tech gods at Remedy didn't have much luck with it at the start either. I could compile an exhaustive list, but I only have so many spare hours in my day.

 

Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be an interesting one, given the stated ambition of that game, or maybe they scaled back their ambitions early on to ensure it ran well on the base machines.

 

I was more taking issue with your "like crap" statement.  Games will chug here and there.  They did at launch and they will right through the gen.  That doesn't mean they ran like crap. Are we seeing games running sub 30 for 80% of their playtime?   Nope.   Not crap.   They'll do it on a fair few PC's too.  It's got nothing to do with Gee Whizz Developers and more to do with how much time they're given to spend optimising and choosing what the balance between framerate/res is going to be.   Nintendo seem to nail this more or less every time lately on the Wii U and Switch.  Good looking games that managed the balance between res and framerate. Devs given time to optimise too I'd speculate. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, mushashi said:

 

The tech gods at Remedy didn't have much luck with it at the start either

 

Quantum Break's still a fine looking game.  Not sure what you're talking about there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course Quantum Break was one of the 2 games MS actually showed at the infamous "TV" presentation and it didn't come out for 3 more years so it's not like they didn't have time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It had pretty interesting tech around the graphics engine actually but at the time all that people were shouting about was 900p!! 900p!!

 

i played it to completion and quite enjoyed it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-01-17-microsoft-goes-all-in-on-the-evergreen-platform
 

This is well written by Mr Fahey as always, but I think its missing a couple of key issues as to why cross-gen compatibility is important: Game Pass and BC games. MS didnt equip the One with 360 compat for nostalgic reason: for someone to play a couple of old games a year. Game Pass is a central part of the Xbox platform now afaik, and a clean break would also need a clean break with Game Pass. A Game Pass 2 for next-gen? Obviously not. But the article doesnt mention GP once, and focusses on exclusives that are supposed to come out in the first year which historically hasnt brought the greatest 1p titles to either platform. So its not just about a clean break or not, its about XGS wanting to keep their Game Pass base intact regardless of device, and Sony not yet having reached the level of organisation where they can support such a subscription service.

 

Its still a bit early to make sweeping generalisations on launch games and how they are taking advantage of the new tech. And I will not be surprised if Sony already has plans to upgrade Now to the level of Game Pass with the launch of the PS5, tba together with the PS5. I dont think they have an option really, and not just because of the Xbox. The Last of Us 2 would be a great launch game for the service, right before E3 and make everyone talk about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bullshit of course, but there's another notable Polish developer that comes to mind - People Can Fly, of Bulletstorm fame. That would indeed be a perfect fit for Microsoft and a likely acquisition. Iirc they're independent now.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a new Perfect Dark is coming and Microsoft have bought From, I'm VERY excited for the TCGS E3 special. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.