rllmuk
TehStu

Xbox: Series X (Project Scarlett)

My main concern with the mass market viability of VR is, as others have said, the helmet itself. VR fans don't like it when VR is compared to the 3D fad, but even though they have a point saying it's a completely different experience, there's one aspect that is arguably relevant. No matter how hard the telly and movie makers pushed 3D, people just couldn't be arsed putting on those damn goggles. Even that was too much faff if you just wanted to watch a movie. VR is much more than a light pair of glasses and it will be a long time yet before it's just a pair of glasses. If ever.

Reading the new VR thread, it's clear to see the genuine enthusiasm of all those early adopters. But the most relevant point, buried in the middle of the fact list in the first post, is that yes you may feel queasy or dizzy or worse using VR. Not everyone! But some people. And maybe it also depends on how long you play. Can you imagine the bad PR if VR ever gets anywhere near the mainstream? Surely a fancy tech device that *may make you sick" isn't viable? 

Both these issues may be solved. But probably not soon and not during the upcoming generation. Maybe with PSVR3 on PS6, but even that feels too soon when you look at how prototypey the tech still feels.

When and if all the issues are solved, it should be relatively easy for Microsoft or Nintendo or whomever to license an existing VR thingamabob and release it alongside a bunch of existing and proven VR games. I just don't see any downside for Microsoft for not joining the VR push on consoles right now. It's not a system seller right now. They won't be behind the curve as VR fans often argue, because the curve is still years and years away. If not decades. If there's any kind of curve at all. The only downside is if you're a gamer who loves VR and also wants an XB2 instead of a PS5 - in that scenario it kinda sucks. But otherwise, there's no downside for anyone if Scarlett doesn't come with VR.

• Upvote 6

We're at the ZX Spectrum stage of VR and both sides need to accept this really.

It'll get there, if allowed to it'll keep growing.  We've already effectively solved the wires and lighthouse issues at the top end, the nausea is at least partly FOV and framerate which power will solve.

In the meantime plenty of people will enjoy transformative experiences like Project CARS 2 in VR with a wheel and pedals, documentaries such as Apollo and Titantic, party favourites like Space Pirate Trainer or Job Simulator and exercise aids like Audiosurf or beat saber.

But we'd say that same about Jet Set Willy, 3D deathchase, knight lore and Monster Maze.  Some people didn't leap on until Gran Turismo.

Microsoft are betting not yet.  The fact Sony is already doing it might account for that, they're prepared to seed those customers and they're probably still sore about when they tried to do similar with the whole Kinect debacle.  Microsoft though also famously ignored the internet for far too long...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Dont people say that every new headset will be the one to go mainstream?

Its not going mainstream ever. 

By the same token it's not going to disappear anytime soon.  There's still quality games appearing and cockpit type games are massively enhanced by VR.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, simms said:

By the same token it's not going to disappear anytime soon.  There's still quality games appearing and cockpit type games are massively enhanced by VR.

Well yes, it will remain niche.

• Downvote 1

Brad Sams is saying the whole "Lockhart" concept isn't fully dead. 

It's hard to believe that they'd still pursue the idea of a releasing an underpowered version of Scarlett so I'm guessing this is going to be an entry point into their Xcloud/Gamepass system for less than $100. 

EDIT:Not sure how I typed acting instead of saying originally. 

Reading today that PS5 dev kits are between 10/15% more powerful than Scarlett dev kits, surely specs are final now? isn't that a bit concerning for Microsoft if true? that's a bigger gap than PS4 and Xbox One (base models).

13 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Reading today that PS5 dev kits are between 10/15% more powerful than Scarlett dev kits, surely specs are final now? isn't that a bit concerning for Microsoft if true? that's a bigger gap than PS4 and Xbox One (base models).

I doubt specs will be fixed yet. Aren’t dev boxes just to give rough idea of what the final consoles will be capable of?

Where did you read it anyway? I’d like to have a look.

13 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

The Onion

Well yeah. I just wanted to see the source. There’s no way MS will launch a console less powerful than Sony this time.

It's very unlikely that they're either 100% fixed at this point or that the dev kits are an 100% accurate representation of those specs. After all the big talk about wanting to be the most powerful this time around and the way they invested in the X, it would be a bit of a cock up if the PS5 is more powerful. Even if the difference is barely perceptible in real world terms, I expect Microsoft will want to loudly celebrate and emphasise any kind of technical superiority after the Mattrick fiasco.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

I doubt specs will be fixed yet. Aren’t dev boxes just to give rough idea of what the final consoles will be capable of?

Where did you read it anyway? I’d like to have a look.

It's a week old story, which appears to have it's roots in a ResetERA post by a dev.

It came up on my twitter feed today, hence reading it today

6 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

All this stuff is just grist for the fanboy mill. Can we not just be a little more grown up about it all?

Who’s being childish about it?

Personally I’m looking forward to seeing what kind of specs they both have. I’m always a sucker for new shinies.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, JPL said:

Who’s being childish about it?

Personally I’m looking forward to seeing what kind of specs they both have. I’m always a sucker for new shinies.

• Downvote 4

Fucking hell K. :rolleyes:

Mike was talking about childish fanboy nonsense, but there hasn't been any, so I wondered who he was aiming his comment at.

No self-respecting adult has any business talking about wanting “shinies”. We need to knock this nerd babytalk stuff on the head -  nobody should be saying things like “the pew-pew gave me the feels”. 

• Downvote 6

On a more serious note: @K, you're being a really grumpy old man by berating anyone on a forum like this - gaming enthusiasts, plenty of whom are looking forward to the next generation and its prettier graphics - for wanting shinies. In a thread about a next-gen console no less. I'm not ashamed of wanting shinies, it's why Iove buying new hardware.

• Upvote 7

I’ve got nothing against enthusiasm, just this preposterous pidgin English people use to register it. Shinies! You may as well say the game hurted your eyes all ouchy, and made your tummy do a sad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

We all know they’re going to be literally exactly the same thing and the only question will be how one of the parent companies still manages to screw it up.

Will the PS5 controller split in half in a poorly implemented play for VR and Switch games that adds £100 to the price? Will the Xbox use the Ribbon UI from Microsoft Office for some reason? Will both companies inexplicably coat their consoles in anti-climb paint? It’s all to play for.

• Upvote 7

I would personally love to see consoles that acted as a kind of greatest hits of each manufacturer’s previous mistakes, so that the new Xbox was a green behemoth the size of a snooker table that was designed around using gesture control to watch all-new episodes of Jackass with the wolfpack in your bachelor man-loft, and the new PlayStation cost $800 and put out more heat than a nine bar fire, but had eleven USB ports. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, K said:

I’ve got nothing against enthusiasm, just this preposterous pidgin English people use to register it. Shinies! You may as well say the game hurted your eyes all ouchy, and made your tummy do a sad. 

Well, at least we know K needs to grow up a bit now.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

On a more serious note: @K, you're being a really grumpy old man by berating anyone on a forum like this - gaming enthusiasts, plenty of whom are looking forward to the next generation and its prettier graphics - for wanting shinies. In a thread about a next-gen console no less. I'm not ashamed of wanting shinies, it's why Iove buying new hardware.

Same here. :)

Shinies and daft phrases like that, are just a way to rekindle some of that childlike wonder we all had back in the day, when we first saw new gaming hardware in action. I hope I'm talking about and looking forward to 16k shinies well into my 80's!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

All this stuff is just grist for the fanboy mill. Can we not just be a little more grown up about it all?

Hear hear!!!!

In terms of power? Who cares anymore. It's all about the experiences the hardware offers.... It'll be funny when everything is streamed guess everyone will be comparing broadband speeds then and the boxes streaming the games... :D