rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

1 hour ago, Purin said:

They'd better add more. It doesn't feel line a new console launch at all looking at that line up.

They need something to generate hype. PS5 has it all right now.

They are planning to reveal their first party games in July.

Smart delivery trailer.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Purin said:

I am sure it will. But Microsoft need to up their marketing game, they are way behind at this moment in time. 

GTA V bucks for all!

Cyberpunk and Valhalla may as well be launch titles. In a year or so we’ll probably look back at the PS4 Pro and One X versions and wonder how people could have played them in that state, just as we do with last gens early cross-gen titles.

I do wonder if MS have misread the market. The confusing name. The samey design. The same UI. Games that run identically on both gens (without looking wildly different on the new hardware).

Maybe I'm dinosaur, but I want to know a NEW GEN™ has arrived. I want new UI's and games that I can't play on my old hardware. I want a console that feels shiny and new.

Everything about MS's softly, softly approach seems iterative, and like its designed not to piss off its current gen owners.

And who knows that might be the winning approach, BUT as a customer its deeply unexciting to watch unfold.

• Upvote 1

I think it's entirely too early to say stuff like that. Like, apparently everyone agrees the previous showcase was underwhelming, but that doesn't mean they don't have something more spectacular lined up for the next one. It was only last week everyone was going on about how PS5 was doomed, and now with one montage of games (mostly either multiplatform or suspiciously undated) everyone's writing off the XSX?

• Upvote 2

If it wasn't for Master Chief I'd be switching consoles this gen, but it needs to look spectacular on XSX, otherwise I'll just play it on my current machine.

17 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I do wonder if MS have misread the market. The confusing name. The samey design. The same UI. Games that run identically on both gens (without looking wildly different on the new hardware).

Maybe I'm dinosaur, but I want to know a NEW GEN™ has arrived. I want new UI's and games that I can't play on my old hardware. I want a console that feels shiny and new.

Everything about MS's softly, softly approach seems iterative, and like its designed not to piss off its current gen owners.

And who knows that might be the winning approach, BUT as a customer its deeply unexciting to watch unfold.

Don’t see how you can make a comment on the games not looking that different between the hardware generations when we are even yet to see any Series X gameplay! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Purin said:

If it wasn't for Master Chief I'd be switching consoles this gen, but it needs to look spectacular on XSX, otherwise I'll just play it on my current machine.

What are you so keen to play on PS5? The highlight of the show last week was Resi 8 and that's going to look better on Xbox. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

What are you so keen to play on PS5? The highlight of the show last week was Resi 8 and that's going to look better on Xbox. 

Because I am susceptible to good marketing I guess.

6 hours ago, gooner4life said:

GTAV Cant be enhanced that much by SEX as Rockstar have announced a SEX version is coming out in 2021.

Is this where you've written in your notebook what the BC team are capable of?   :)

32 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

As someone who bought a PS4 Pro, did you feel that really was worth the extra money? For the last of us 2, for example, you get to increase the resolution to a whole 1440p!

11 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Is this where you've written in your notebook what the BC team are capable of?   :)

No, it's where I engage my brain and think logically, if the Series X is capable of running the Xbox One version of GTAV at 4k 60 there's little point in Rockstar spending time developing an enhanced version for the SEX.

11 minutes ago, footle said:

As someone who bought a PS4 Pro, did you feel that really was worth the extra money? For the last of us 2, for example, you get to increase the resolution to a whole 1440p!

1440p is a massive jump in IQ,  however it's definitely in the diminishing returns range from 1440p to 2160p.

1080p is 4 times, if you split the screen into 4 quadrants, each quarter would be a 1080p image, where as with 1440p to 2160p it's 2 and a quarter times, basically the equivalent of 720p to 1080p and 8k is an even bigger jump, that's back to 4 times 4k, so 16 times 1080p, it's all about how the image scales, 4K is 4 x Full HD, but 1440p is 4 x HD or 720p.

I really hope this gen is gonna get all the quality of life stuff sorted. They’ve said boot times and loading times are going to be sorted. I want them to also be able to sort out quick resume so games which require online services don’t boot you to the main menu when you resume them. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I really hope this gen is gonna get all the quality of life stuff sorted. They’ve said boot times and loading times are going to be sorted. I want them to also be able to sort out quick resume so games which require online services don’t boot you to the main menu when you resume them. 

That’s hard.
An offline game - you dump state to disk, reload state on load.

An online game - you have to synchronise state, across a network. This state may be quite large, will have changed while you’re offline, and is far more likely to have been patched. It’s something that needs done at the developer end. And they’ll have far fewer bugs if they don’t bother trying, and just wipe, reload.

• Upvote 1

I imagine it’s difficult but there has to be a better way than just kicking me back to the main menu because I switched the console off for 20 minutes to have my lunch. 

Although, if loading times are fast enough, maybe it’s not such an issue. 

50 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I want them to also be able to sort out quick resume so games which require online services don’t boot you to the main menu when you resume them. 

That's got nothing to do with Microsoft though, it's because you're connected to the games' server and they don't want you logged in when you're not even playing.

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

So better is worser because ....daphuq?

I mean, statiscally, games rendered at native 1440p are better than games that are native 4k.

The way I like to think of it is - 1080p always looks crap on a 4K TV, no matter what they seem to do to it. 1440p often looks good and sometimes it looks fantastic with good TAA. 

DLSS will hopefully fix it all though, if it (or an equivalent) makes its way to consoles. 

28 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Statiscally …… ok.

Yeah, do you know what that means? more games that are native 1440p have been well regarded than games that have been native 4k, i mean it's skewed a bit by the fact that more Sony games are 1440p and more Microsoft ones are native 4k and well you know how that goes.

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

I mean, statiscally, games rendered at native 1440p are better than games that are native 4k.

...wait what?!

• Upvote 1