rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

Yeah, sorry I panicked.

After I said Tuesday, i heard they’ve picked a Monday.

4 minutes ago, djbhammer said:

Source? Nothing official from Xbox yet as far as I can see. 

Think it's someone on twitter, Jeff Grubb? 

I've seen a few saying week of 20th July, not necessarily the 20th itself. 

13 minutes ago, RaoulSilva said:

Fair enough, cheers. I’ll get excited once it’s official however!

@FiveFootNinja Regarding Halo, if that last teaser is anything to go by then the Brutes are back.

Just the thing everyone wants. <_<

28 minutes ago, RaoulSilva said:

23d it seems.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, JPL said:

if that last teaser is anything to go by then the Brutes are back.

Oh. Really? :facepalm:

I haven't seen it but it sounds like I might need to pack some bits back into the excitement bag for now then.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Oh. Really? :facepalm:

I haven't seen it but it sounds like I might need to pack some bits back into the excitement bag for now then.

Hopefully it’s a bit of misdirection and it’s still going to be an open world battle mainly against the Elites. I live in hope anyway!

• Upvote 1

Meh, people only diss the brutes because of their shitty implementation in Halo 2. They're great in Halo 3, ODST and Reach.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JPL said:

They’ve been really open so far and their messaging has been really clear. Why would they mess it up now? 

Well I think the “gameplay” presentation a couple of weeks ago is generally regarded as a misstep, so nothing is a guarantee at this point. 

Well up for the 23rd though. I know it’s just nostalgia talking but I’d love a legacy OG Xbox title like a new Jet Set Radio or Ninja Gaiden.

Every game they release in the Halo franchise convinces me that the first game's brilliance was a fluke.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Well I think the “gameplay” presentation a couple of weeks ago is generally regarded as a misstep, so nothing is a guarantee at this point. 

Yeah, I was talking about the naming of the console and how they convey that to the public really. I really hope they’ve got some amazing games lined up for this upcoming presentation, as that’s where they’re going to win or lose people.

I didn’t even see that one from a few weeks ago, is there a summary of it anywhere?

33 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Meh, people only diss the brutes because of their shitty implementation in Halo 2. They're great in Halo 3, ODST and Reach.

They’re certainly miles better than the Prometheans. I just don’t want all the political shit that came with them against the Elites.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Yeah, I was talking about the naming of the console and how they convey that to the public really. I really hope they’ve got some amazing games lined up for this upcoming presentation, as that’s where they’re going to win or lose people.

I didn’t even see that one from a few weeks ago, is there a summary of it anywhere?

Ah I thought you were just talking overall. 

I would just watch the whole thing on YouTube really. Otherwise MinnMax or Easy Allies both had pretty good analysis on their podcasts.

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

Video is in the first post. Just a heads up, there is hardly any gameplay though!

This is not the next-gen showcase event but something extra...

GameFest.png?w=1200

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/07/01/summer-game-fest-demo-event-xbox/

While we can’t recreate the experience of attending a big show entirely, we can help you get your hands on lots of cool new games early. As announced by Geoff Keighley as part of Summer Games Fest, Xbox is proud to reveal that our Summer Games Fest Demo Event will be live on Xbox One from July 21 to July 27.

We’ll have more than 60 brand-new game demos for upcoming, unreleased Xbox games available to check out for free! Look for the special Game Fest Demo tile on the Xbox One Dashboard that week to find the collection of available demos.

These demos will only be up on the Xbox Dashboard for a week. Some might be re-published to the Demo channel later, but many will simply evaporate at the end of the week, so make sure to check them out while you can.

We’ll have a lot of games – somewhere between 75 and 100 when the dust settles. We’ll announce the full list closer to July 21

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, JPL said:

They’re certainly miles better than the Prometheans. I just don’t want all the political shit that came with them against the Elites.

I actually thought the Prometheans were fine in Halo 4, they were sufficiently different to the Covenant to fight and complimented them nicely. 'Popping' those dog ones will never get old.

The introduction of the bullet-sponge humanoid 'soldiers' in Halo 5, and retooling the Knights to be more like Hunters than Elites, didn't work for me at all. There's also just far too much of everything in Halo 5 to ever get a sense of control over the battles, they either need to either scale the enemy numbers right back or design the levels in a smarter way so you're not constantly cowering from incoming fire from 25 directions at once.

• Upvote 2

Agree that the Brutes and Prometheans aren't good news would be my default, but I've played a lot of Halo Wars 2 recently and the Brutes have a bit more character in my mind now.

I pretty much think that the environment is going to be the most interesting part of Infinite. Will it be open world? How will that work? How free will you be? That's a much bigger concern /point of interest than who's shooting back, IMO. 

Despite this, it's probably too late for a hashtag but #NoPrometheansForInfinite would work for me. 

• Upvote 1

Personally I think it's great news, E3 finally comes home and we can play what should have been on the show floor.

The Series X event is starting to look like it'll happen on the 23rd so there maybe some first party demos available.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JPL said:

@FiveFootNinja Regarding Halo, if that last teaser is anything to go by then the Brutes are back.

Just the thing everyone wants. <_<

At least it's not The Flood.

I don't mind Brutes at all.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I know it’s just nostalgia talking but I’d love a legacy OG Xbox title like a new Jet Set Radio or Ninja Gaiden.

Sony are smart with stuff like this, I'd like to see MS lean into their heritage a bit more. I suppose that's what Phantom Dust was supposed to be, but nobody outside of America seemed to remember it. A new Ninja Gaiden, Otogi, Jet Set Radio or (extremely unlikely given the recent remake) Panzer Dragoon, just something a bit more old school and left-field. Hell, a new Mech Assault with physics-based destructible buildings.

• Upvote 3

Just now, CarloOos said:

Sony are smart with stuff like this, I'd like to see MS lean into their heritage a bit more. I suppose that's what Phantom Dust was supposed to be, but nobody outside of America seemed to remember it. A new Ninja Gaiden, Otogi, Jet Set Radio or (extremely unlikely given the recent remake) Panzer Dragoon, just something a bit more old school and left-field.

Yeah agreed. A new Otogi (or even a remake of 1+2) would be such a canny choice too.

9 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yeah agreed. A new Otogi (or even a remake of 1+2) would be such a canny choice too.

Also with Games Pass the risky sales potential for cult titles like Otogi shouldn't matter as much, and they generate an outsized amount of good will towards the brand. Or at least until a new generation of players are introduced to 'None Shall Pass'.

• Upvote 2

All these halo enemy names.

There are only two kinds. Dead ones, and soon-to-be-dead ones... :coffee:

• Upvote 1

If Microsoft could "God of War" a Ninja Gaiden reboot I'd be all in. I'm midway through the former and it's such a well judged bit of nostalgia fused with a genuinely fantastic modern game. Xbox could really benefit from something like that rather than just general IP sequels with a few more shinies.

Never played Otogi. Demon Souls that while you are at it and I'd give it a whirl too :) 

• Upvote 1

Otogi was pretty weird, it was basically a floaty hack and slash game but with some pretty ambitious destructible environments for the time. Every time you did a heavy attack you'd send the enemy flying through the environment, taking actual chunks out of the level geometry. I remember the sequel had a few levels with EDF-sized enemy hordes which meant you could set off a chain reaction that would completely tank the frame-rate into single digits, it was great. By the time everything calmed down and the debris cleared half of the map would be gone.

Also I'm coming to the end of a Ninja Gaiden 2 replay at the moment and still think those two games are unparalleled in terms of feedback and animation. Platinum can shove it, that staircase fight at the end of NG2 is 15 minutes straight of pure player empowerment and has never been surpassed in its genre.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Otogi was pretty weird, it was basically a floaty hack and slash game but with some pretty ambitious destructible environments for the time. Every time you did a heavy attack you'd send the enemy flying through the environment, taking actual chunks out of the level geometry. I remember the sequel had a few levels with EDF-sized enemy hordes which meant you could set off a chain reaction that would completely tank the frame-rate into single digits, it was great. By the time everything calmed down and the debris cleared half of the map would be gone.

Also I'm coming to the end of a Ninja Gaiden 2 replay at the moment and still think those two games are unparalleled in terms of feedback and animation. Platinum can shove it, that staircase fight at the end of NG2 is 15 minutes straight of pure player empowerment and has never been surpassed in its genre.

The thing I feel stood out most with Otogi is its atmosphere. I liked the actual game play but the atmosphere was pretty damn unique, I loved it. From are masters at creating strange and enjoyable atmospheres. 

Wonder what game of theirs was the first to bring that to the table, kings Field?

While the single player may not have been the greatest, Halo 5’s multiplayer is peerless. @Kryptonian and I still play it on a regular basis and it’s incredible . I hope they manage to replicate that with Halo Infinite. While it’d be nice to have a great single player campaign I’ll still only spend a tiny minority of my time with it playing that.

• Upvote 5