rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

A lot of people here need to go back and play Zoo Tycoon. It's on Game Pass and it's fantastic.

Also Amped 3 launched with the 360. That is a real launch banger. Best Hand Puppet FMV of the generation.

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Jashin said:

Is there? Like what?  I could just play it on my X, unless that version is going to be hobbled somehow. For probably the first console releases ever I’m probably not going to buy either the new PS or XB going from what I know so far. 

Like the reputation of their biggest flagship title which releases simultaneously on their new console, ergo their brand. Whether you play it on your Xbox One X, Series X, whatever, isn’t the point. 

On 07/07/2020 at 17:38, Dudley said:

It's not held back graphically.

But Assetto Corsa 2 is restricted to 16 car fields on the current consoles.  Which means if a series x version also had to run on XBone then it too would have to be restricted to 16 car fields, at least in career mode, otherwise you're going to have some fairly difficult balance issues.

You could absolutely do more with both those Forzas yes.

You could have a a 16 car playlist that would do crossplay and a 32/64/100 car playlist that was displayed on Xbox Series X only.   There you go game devs.  You can have that for free.

Or you could do simpler physics on the Xbox One versions meaning you could still have the same number of cars on track. You're already going ot be scaling the graphics anyway. Do  the same with the CPU workload. 

I'll wait for the inevitable "you can't do that" crowd who clearly aren't proper devs who can solve any problem given sufficient time and money.    :)

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

You could have a a 16 car playlist that would do crossplay and a 32/64/100 car playlist that was displayed on Xbox Series X only.   There you go game devs.  You can have that for free.

Or you could do simpler physics on the Xbox One versions meaning you could still have the same number of cars on track. You're already going ot be scaling the graphics anyway. Do  the same with the CPU workload. 

I'll wait for the inevitable "you can't do that" crowd who clearly aren't proper devs who can solve any problem given sufficient time and money.    :)

Restricting opponents in cross play does seem reasonable.

I don’t want to be part of a crowd but just doing simpler physics seems like it would be a different game. Whilst you might be able to turn down the physics engine refresh rate (they often run the physics loop multiple times per frame for a better simulation) it’s basically tuning another game and we’d probably say a reasonable number of them don’t get it right on the one they try to do normally. And running them in cross play is probably unworkable - they’d likely produce different performance and lap times because if they didn’t why ever bother with the better model.

Its doable of course. But no developer is going to bother I don’t think. So much cheaper to turn off some opponents or some intensive effect if possible.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

Restricting opponents in cross play does seem reasonable.

I don’t want to be part of a crowd but just doing simpler physics seems like it would be a different game. Whilst you might be able to turn down the physics engine refresh rate (they often run the physics loop multiple times per frame for a better simulation) it’s basically tuning another game and we’d probably say a reasonable number of them don’t get it right on the one they try to do normally. And running them in cross play is probably unworkable - they’d likely produce different performance and lap times because if they didn’t why ever bother with the better model.

Its doable of course. But no developer is going to bother I don’t think. So much cheaper to turn off some opponents or some intensive effect if possible.

yeah I'd imagine there'll be some way of providing a level playing field in multiplayer and even then it's only going to be for the first year and then the older consoles will start to be phased out.  It's not as big a problem as some people make out.  I magine they're the sorts that have a full blown panic attack when their favourite bog roll isn't in stock at the supermarket.

Ryse is still an impressive looking game now. I went back and finished it off a while back and thoroughly enjoyed doing so (although the ending bit was a tad fustrating anticipating where the hits were coming in from).

Dead Rising 3 was also great at the time, so many zombies on screen all at once, and ploughing through them with a steam roller bike thing. Haven't played it in years and it is missing from Gamepass for some reason which is a shame.

Crimson Dragon was an ok Panzer Dragoon spin off with voice controls, it was also packed full of microtransactions but I enjoyed my time with it without spending any additional money.

And you also had:

Forza 5 (not a fan of realisitc racers but I bought it at the time).

Killer Instinct

Zoo Tycoon

Xbox Fitness (if you can class that as a game).

Coupled with 3rd party stuff not a bad launch lineup, although there were some duffers like Lococycle and

Fighter Within (Best Kinect game ever).

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Yes you can always do playlists, single races etc. I'm talking about career. I was very careful to keep saying career to make that obvious.

But your solution again is effectively making entirely different games for each console so actually there IS a series x version in exactly the same way as there's a PS5 version or the same way there were 2 versions of Forza Horizon 2.

And I hope that's how it goes because otherwise Series X games will not be as good as they should be in many cases.

12 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Ryse is still an impressive looking game now. I went back and finished it off a while back and thoroughly enjoyed doing so (although the ending bit was a tad fustrating anticipating where the hits were coming in from).

Ive never played Ryse, it was unoptimised as fuck on the PC and ran like a dog on both my 970 and 1070, but, on my 2080ti, it plays nice! brute force ftw (ahem) ...except, i then locked it to 60 at 1440p, and it barely uses the card...anyway

It really is a great looking game at a higher res and at 60! and, I'm actually having a fair bit of fun playing it! so i will prob blitz through it!

It's a shame they never went back and X enhanced it!

also, its a whopping....TWO POUNDS THIRTY NINE PENCE! on steam right now!

• Upvote 1

Suggesting that someone would have a panic attack over toilet paper simply because they had the audacity to suggest that compromises might have to be made in order to get the same game to run on a mediocre CPU from 2013 and a good CPU from 2019 is one hell of a leap. 

• Upvote 1

Lots of talk on resetera that the current Xbox models have been discontinued and stock is drying up. Earlier than anticipated release of the new models perhaps? It would be amazing if the series x was released in August/September. 

So exactly as we suggested, with PC at the top and then scaling down from there. I like the approach, I can see why people don't.

What's end game? The Xbox being server racks for xcloud and the physical device an actual PC running a steam-like Xbox interface? I dunno. Depends if we're going to keep getting gaming boxes under our TVs, I guess. 

12 minutes ago, djbhammer said:

Spoiler: No! ...conclude various developers at Microsoft Studios.  :)

(I'm happy with the approach though)

That article and the other two Microsoft ones on Gamesindustry are really good reads.  The way they're managing the studios they've bought sounds very sensible.  Hopefully we'll get some great games out of it.

• Upvote 2

On 08/07/2020 at 12:37, footle said:

switch maybe (though their biggest hitter was cross-gen, and their second biggest hitter a *paid repackaging of a game you’d already bought on wii-u - cf Mario Kart), wii if you liked wii sports.

Gamecube and Wii-U much less so.

but the console launch line ups last time round:

- Ryse, that at least looked pretty

- Forza 5, pretty but short on content and hey microtransactions

then

- Resogun 

so not really system sellers

Late to the party, but just wanted to point out that GameCube launched with one of the GOATs in Super Monkey Ball. 

• Upvote 9

16 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:
Late to the party, but just wanted to point out that GameCube launched with one of the GOATs in Super Monkey Ball. 

good point.

I got SMB with a gamecube because the forum was going bananas  (^_^) over it.

I still find it hard to believe that people like(d) it that much. 

• Upvote 1

As a life-long PlayStation gamer at that time, it was the killer app for Nintendo’s revolutionary “good analogue stick”.

57 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I got SMB with a gamecube because the forum was going bananas  (^_^) over it.

I still find it hard to believe that people like(d) it that much. 

launch games. Some people liked killzone shadow fall, fortunately black flag was actually good, if multiplatform.

also everyone had got excited by the graphics of rogue squadron then realised it was a bit shit really.

i mean honestly: https://www.metacritic.com/game/gamecube/star-wars-rogue-leader-rogue-squadron-ii

as opposed to

https://www.metacritic.com/game/gamecube/super-monkey-ball

Star Wars fans would get hyped about any old shit.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

1 minute ago, RaoulSilva said:

And the Gamecube was £130 at launch. 

Not when you imported one from Lik Sang it wasn’t, believe me!

• Upvote 7
  • Empathy 2

Back to Xbox stock drying up, I assumed it was down to lockdown and people buying them for something to do as well as lower numbers getting made/sent to stores due to the global pandemic. Is that unlikely then?

16 minutes ago, Freeman said:

I bought one from CEX about 2 weeks after JP launch. My wallet still hurts.

Oh and Super Monkey Ball was fucking brilliant, Ex Lv 7 would fuck me up big time if I tried it now. :lol: 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Freeman said:

It’s the only import console I have ever owned, and I think it cost me almost a whole months pay.

Another here who purchased from lik sang, then modded it to play US games (which were a steal from the likes of videogame plus) and got a Saurian RGB lead. I loved that console. 

I love those mock ups for the series s just cos it looks like a GameCube.

10 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I love those mock ups for the series s just cos it looks like a GameCube.

It would be amazing if that’s the shape they go with, but the rumours suggest otherwise. Total missed opportunity.

11 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

Back to Xbox stock drying up, I assumed it was down to lockdown and people buying them for something to do as well as lower numbers getting made/sent to stores due to the global pandemic. Is that unlikely then?

dreamcast-o-meter.gif

11 hours ago, layten said:

I bought one from CEX about 2 weeks after JP launch. My wallet still hurts.

Oh and Super Monkey Ball was fucking brilliant, Ex Lv 7 would fuck me up big time if I tried it now. :lol: 

I was coincidentally living in Japan at the time, so I bought one at a normal price from the nearest game/music/manga store on Japanese launch day with Luigi's Mansion, Monkey Ball, and Wave Race. Despite Wave Race being a bit of a disappointment, it was good, good times^_^ A friend of mine also bought one but with Star Wars instead of Wave Race. I made the better choice :)

• Upvote 2