rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

19 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Only with previous gen games.

Why? You think they won’t support some kind of local storage option if you don’t want to download the 80GB of COD game? America is full of metered broadband, so it’d be an odd choice.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, for these new, non-trivial game sizes, they're going to need an "archive" sort of option. 

Details above look good, this machine is going to be bonkers. 

1 hour ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Only with previous gen games.

Why not Series X purely for storage purposes?

21 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Why not Series X purely for storage purposes?

It's a reasonable question, I wonder if having baffled Rllmuk's posters with the console's name, if someone at Microsoft decided that moving games from drive to drive would be a bridge too far. 

• Upvote 4

You can do that now. It would be weird if they limited it for the new one. Just add a "yeah, can't actually run it from here" warning, if needed. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, TehStu said:

You can do that now. It would be weird if they limited it for the new one. Just add a "yeah, can't actually run it from here" warning, if needed. 

Sorry, you're right,  I meant specific rules about running and playing from the external. 

They could put another badge on the box if the game could be run from or stored on an external drive with a rating for each machine.

Xbox Series X - yes no

Xbox one X no yes

Xbox one S no no

Xbox one no no 

Xbox 360 no no no

The sticker would be ideally 4 inches wide  

• Upvote 1

I think the entire front of the case should now be a feature checklist. Cover art is DLC. 

• Upvote 1

The Wii had to copy games from the SD card to the main storage before they could run. It was done automatically and I don't see why it couldn't be the same for PS5/XSX. The only issue will be the copy times, but it's still going to be faster than a download.

2 hours ago, Super Craig said:

The Wii had to copy games from the SD card to the main storage before they could run. It was done automatically and I don't see why it couldn't be the same for PS5/XSX. The only issue will be the copy times, but it's still going to be faster than a download.

They probably have stats for the proportion of games that are played from external drives on the current gen consoles, which have been around for ages and where people have huge game collections they could run directly over USB, and have decided it’s a feature they’re in no hurry to implement. It might not be completely trivial to do depending on how the file systems on the new SSDs work and unless a lot of people would be using it right away (unlikely) they can put it off. PS4 didn’t let you use an external HDD for software until 2017, Wii SD storage support was quite late, etc.

• Upvote 1

I'd expect to be able to put all my XB1 and 360 games onto my existing 4Tb HDD, plug it into the Series X as soon as it's booted up, and pick up where I left off. Anything less would be shite.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, rafaqat said:

It's a pretty ugly game cover.    Would be good to see a few more examples.

Bleurgh. Series X and Xbox One and surely Series S too when it’s officially announced.

Next gen is a mess.

4vvpsscfcua51.jpg

Having separate 'Xbox Series X' and 'Xbox Series S' labels wouldn't make sense, would it? What works on one would work on the other, like XB1S and XB1X. Unless we've made false assumptions about what the XSS is or what it's called.

28 minutes ago, Pob said:

I'd expect to be able to put all my XB1 and 360 games onto my existing 4Tb HDD, plug it into the Series X as soon as it's booted up, and pick up where I left off. Anything less would be shite.

I’m pretty sure that’s how it’s going to work. You just can’t run Series X games from it. I think the only grey area is whether you can store your Series X games on a standard external when you’re not playing them.

I think you have to remove Series S from the conversation at the moment. We can't exactly complain about a confusing messaging when it is regarding a platform that isn't even announced yet.

If @deKaywere here he'd be posting that siren gif - although that may only be allowed in the Switch thread :D

• Upvote 2

I would imagine that those "optimised for series X" badges will disappear (or be made smaller) for new games released after the dust has settled around the next gen console launches. 

8 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

Xbox Series X - yes no

Xbox one X no yes

Xbox one S no no

Xbox one no no 

Xbox 360 no no no

image.thumb.jpeg.fa7810c7cd56b0f06e15741480bae2ea.jpeg

• Upvote 7

23 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I think you have to remove Series S from the conversation at the moment. We can't exactly complain about a confusing messaging when it is regarding a platform that isn't even announced yet.

If @deKaywere here he'd be posting that siren gif - although that may only be allowed in the Switch thread :D

rumourklaxon.gif.69a424da970cbc12b64fc44c2f165285.gif

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Stanley said:

Do you think it will be possible to store games on a normal hard drive and then transfer them to the SSD as and when you want to play them? 

You'd really hope so wouldn't you?

12 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Xbros, with a full 1TB SSD

...after installing 6 games.  

It's true, my one x was full in one day just from gamepass games, still about ten more I'd like to download but can't. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how fast the ssd makes things, some of the load times on one x are very excessive 

18 minutes ago, carlospie said:

It's true, my one x was full in one day just from gamepass games, still about ten more I'd like to download but can't. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how fast the ssd makes things, some of the load times on one x are very excessive 

You can delete some and install those other games you want to play, you know? :P

I have about 48 games installed, I have 5tb total storage, and am at 33%

On 14/07/2020 at 17:32, Moz said:

If either of the manufacturers guaranteed 60fps in all games at a minimum, even if I had to run it in 1080p, I'd buy that console in a heartbeat. 

I said something similar in the PS5 thread:

The thing is, I’m not sure if 60fps can really be marketed in the same way that higher resolutions can; on the other hand, as resolutions increase the differences may be less noticeable to the average consumer...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

I said something similar in the PS5 thread:

The thing is, I’m not sure if 60fps can really be marketed in the same way that higher resolutions can; on the other hand, as resolutions increase the differences may be less noticeable to the average consumer...

I thought 60fps coming to YouTube might make a difference, but it didn’t seem to. 

Read on VG247 that production of One variants is wrapping up, lots of retailers mark them discontinued or out of stock. Makes sense, if the Series S is positioned where we think it will be. 

Hopefully we can order the damn thing after the 23rd.