rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

I think with devs knowing they'll be developing for different hardware they COULD scale things like the physics calculations.   Just be less realistic with less cpu power.    At one point car games simulated just the 4 tyres contact points with the road.  We're at a point where hundreds of inputs around tyres and suspension are now used to simulate a car on various terrains. 

Same with dealing with open world traversal. Lower spec consoles get more pop-in.   No SSD?  I guess you get a lower level of detail to stream to the screen. 

Devs will always say things can't be achieved until you tell them they HAVE to find a solution.  Then they seem to get really creative about solving that problem. At least in my experience.  Good devs will always find a way. 

It'll be interesting how MS deals with MS Flight Simulator across generations.  With the number of calculations they say they are performing on wing surfaces etc I'd expect the Base Xbox One to be the first to be declared as not supported.  I'm hopeful they say that it WILL be supported but at a lower res and frame rate with fewer inputs to the flight model. 

Exciting times!

41 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yes, so cross gen games won't be a problem at all, just the one x version won't be quite so pretty. It's not holding anyone back from anything new and groundbreaking.

PS5 and PS4 Horizon 2 could both have flight, the PS4 one won't be as pretty.

Or to put it another way, what is it you're disagreeing with here?

I disagree with the idea that Guerrilla had leave a feature out for whatever reason but this has been completely dismissed and the solution found by some bloke on a forum and is just “make your game a bit uglier,” as if density scaling isn’t something they considered (and already have in the game). 

13 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I disagree with the idea that Guerrilla had leave a feature out for whatever reason but this has been completely dismissed and the solution found by some bloke on a forum and is just “make your game a bit uglier,” as if density scaling isn’t something they considered (and already have in the game). 

It very likely really could have been "it'll look like too much of a downgrade from what the game looks like"   It's whatever the dev finds acceptable and they chose a certain level of quality over cramming flight into the game. 

• Upvote 1

I imagine it will be like Witcher 3 on Switch and Witcher 3 on a powerful PC. Night and day in terms of visuals, and beforehand everyone would have said (and has said) that it couldn't be done but they did it. Perfectly playable by all accounts but the visual difference is massive. That's probably what you're going to see between Microsoft games on the X and the SeX.

• Upvote 1

I keep swinging between thinking the next console gen will mark a seismic paradigm shift in gaming, or it will be a bit shinier and otherwise barely any different.

Tell me it’s going to be the former. Tell me!!

5 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

This is a very temporary arrangement. They aren't doing away with generations

Third parties will of course relase content exlusive to the new machine and of course, so will MS eventually. So this isn't like Pro and X, where all titles release for PS4/One will work on all models. throughout the entire lifespan. In 18months time the XboxOne will be obsolete in effect

Even the One X? Considering the rumour that the low spec Series S machine will be less powerful in some respects than the One X, it's possible the One X may still play new games for a while. 

15 minutes ago, APM said:

Even the One X? Considering the rumour that the low spec Series S machine will be less powerful in some respects than the One X, it's possible the One X may still play new games for a while. 

Why would they release a lower than X spec console though? If they were going to do that then just keep the X.   The Series S will be an upgrade from the X.  The CPU for one thing I'd imagine would be better. 

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

I think with devs knowing they'll be developing for different hardware they COULD scale things like the physics calculations.   Just be less realistic with less cpu power.    At one point car games simulated just the 4 tyres contact points with the road.  We're at a point where hundreds of inputs around tyres and suspension are now used to simulate a car on various terrains. 

Same with dealing with open world traversal. Lower spec consoles get more pop-in.   No SSD?  I guess you get a lower level of detail to stream to the screen. 

Devs will always say things can't be achieved until you tell them they HAVE to find a solution.  Then they seem to get really creative about solving that problem. At least in my experience.  Good devs will always find a way. 

It'll be interesting how MS deals with MS Flight Simulator across generations.  With the number of calculations they say they are performing on wing surfaces etc I'd expect the Base Xbox One to be the first to be declared as not supported.  I'm hopeful they say that it WILL be supported but at a lower res and frame rate with fewer inputs to the flight model. 

Exciting times!

they’ve not announced it for console at all, and they won’t get it running on Xbox/xbox1x

2 minutes ago, footle said:

Interesting - a lot of their media has only had a PC flag on it, and it was only marked as PC in a game pass trailer.

I've got a PC but I'd much rather play it on console.  How they'll get all the controls onto a control pad is going to be fun but Elite managed to get a fair bit implemented. 

54 minutes ago, APM said:

Is this the teraflops thing again? The Nvidia 1080 is supposed to be an 8.9 teraflop card while the 2070 is 7.5 teraflop card. The 2070 outperforms the 1080 in benchmarks because it's got a better more modern architecture. I'd be legitimately flabbergasted if the Series S didn't outperform a One X in just about every way. 

EDIT: Assuming Series S is a thing. 

4 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I'm glad I'm a member of a games forum otherwise all this complex lettering naming convention would just confuse me. It's great being so superior to casual humans.

I realise that you are a proper Microsoft fanboy but this is EXACTLY my point.

But not in a sneering, we know better than you plebs who know nothing about which faceless consumer electronics corporation to side with, type of way..

20 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I realise that you are a proper Microsoft fanboy but this is EXACTLY my point.

But not in a sneering, we know better than you plebs who know nothing about which faceless consumer electronics corporation to side with, type of way..

I don’t think there is a problem with their message - Xbox One already has 4 different models - my guess is that customers will buy the best one for them bearing in mind they all play the same games, all support Game Pass and, no doubt, Xcloud when it launches. They’re even launching an upgrade programme in which you pay a monthly tariff, again like phones. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

I don’t think there is a problem with their message - Xbox One already has 4 different models - my guess is that customers will buy the best one for them bearing in mind they all play the same games, all support Game Pass and, no doubt, Xcloud when it launches. They’re even launching an upgrade programme in which you pay a monthly tariff, again like phones. 

That there are already four Xbox One models has already slipped past me.

I guess perception and comprehension of message is entirely subjective but If I, as someone relatively invested in the scene, can find the Xbox One X v Xbox SERIES X branding a little disorientating then I can easily see that amplified in the wider public. It just seems a really poor way of selling an (I imagine/hope) all singing, all dancing console. 'Here's loads of console so choose the one that might suit you best' is not how I would choose to sell a generational leap.

Is it even a generational leap? Maybe I have misunderstood what the new console is?

It's the one you haven't heard of before that's the new one. And if they do indeed release two specs, the more expensive one is the better one. Don't worry about the people who don't browse rllmuk, they'll be fine. Probably better off with the way this thread is going :lol:

• Upvote 1

As long as it’s not an Xbox One X pro it’s all good, right?

well, it’ll play old games, that’s a good thing, but there won’t be any platform exclusive titles, for the first year, which is a bad thing. 

unless all bone games have pc-style graphical sliders built in/patches and the games switch from medium (Xbox one) to high (xb1x) to ultra (xbsx) or something similar?

16 minutes ago, Wallace said:

It's the one you haven't heard of before that's the new one. And if they do indeed release two specs, the more expensive one is the better one. Don't worry about the people who don't browse rllmuk, they'll be fine. Probably better off with the way this thread is going :lol:

:facepalm:

7 hours ago, SeanR said:

unless all bone games have pc-style graphical sliders built in/patches and the games switch from medium (Xbox one) to high (xb1x) to ultra (xbsx) or something similar?

That's probably exactly how it'll work just like enhanced games run differently on the X.

I know I joked about it yesterday over in the PS5 thread, but genuinely who are these people that don’t know what a console is called? Even if you weren’t sure, you could quickly look online, or even ask for ‘the new Xbox’ in a shop. I think I massively underestimate the stupidity of the general public.

I work in retail and you're underestimating the stupidity of the general public.

That said:

Xbox One

Xbox One S

Xbox One X

Xbox Series X

PlayStation 4

PlayStation 4 Pro

PlayStation 5

The Xbox naming is needlessly complicated in comparison to the PlayStation naming.

IF you are interested enough to buy a console, you will get the right name,

If you are a parent/Grandparent buying for a child, the child will tell them exactly what they want. We all been there when we were growing up. "I want a Raleigh Chopper, Mum, not a Grifter not a Scramber; a CHOPPER"

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Mike S said:

That there are already four Xbox One models has already slipped past me.

I guess perception and comprehension of message is entirely subjective but If I, as someone relatively invested in the scene, can find the Xbox One X v Xbox SERIES X branding a little disorientating then I can easily see that amplified in the wider public. It just seems a really poor way of selling an (I imagine/hope) all singing, all dancing console. 'Here's loads of console so choose the one that might suit you best' is not how I would choose to sell a generational leap.

Is it even a generational leap? Maybe I have misunderstood what the new console is?

Well it will no doubt reach a point where it will just be the Series S and Series X on sale, replacing the older models. 

15 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

I work in retail and you're underestimating the stupidity of the general public.

That said:

Xbox One

Xbox One S

Xbox One X

Xbox Series X

PlayStation 4

PlayStation 4 Pro

PlayStation 5

The Xbox naming is needlessly complicated in comparison to the PlayStation naming.

Xbox One doesn't even exist anymore. All you can get now, and I suppose for a crossover period after the new one launches, will be:

Xbox One S

Xbox One S - All Digital

Xbox One X

Xbox Series S (Maybe)

Xbox Series X

What kind of imbecile would you need to be to get confused over a selection of 5 consoles?!

Anyway, I want some of your retail anecdotes about these stupid customers...

12 hours ago, jonamok said:

I keep swinging between thinking the next console gen will mark a seismic paradigm shift in gaming, or it will be a bit shinier and otherwise barely any different.

Tell me it’s going to be the former. Tell me!!

The latter. As long as the industry keeps chasing higher resolutions (which it could be argued peaked at 1080p) we'll always be in this situation of slightly prettier, and barely any different mechanically. 

The industry needs to stop at 4k. It's fucking more than enough. On PC I have found the sweet spot to be 1440p, and that's on a 65" 4k TV.

18 minutes ago, JPL said:

Xbox One doesn't even exist anymore. All you can get now, and I suppose for a crossover period after the new one launches, will be:

Xbox One S

Xbox One S - All Digital

Xbox One X

Xbox Series S (Maybe)

Xbox Series X

CE2E687D-2A03-47B7-9E30-B6440C21AC98.jpeg.bfb5911fa365352df67595c39fd6e35a.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Couldn't agree more. 1440p looks gorgeous, anything higher than that and you're well into the diminishing returns. And at a disproportionately huge cost to performance. Sadly, 4k is the buzzword du jour so they're going to want to put that on the box.

I really hope they're not silly enough to start bandying about 8k for games in the upcoming gen. The hardware has more than enough trouble with 4k as it is.

That's another big advantage of PC gaming. There you can choose 1440p or 1080p if you so desire and get a massive performance boost in return.

Edit: @Thor

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

CE2E687D-2A03-47B7-9E30-B6440C21AC98.jpeg.bfb5911fa365352df67595c39fd6e35a.jpeg

I honestly wonder how people function in everyday life if they can't differentiate between 5 different things!

'What cereal did they want again? Coco-pops? Frosties? Rice Krispies? Oh fuck it, I'll get them Cornflakes. My brain hurts.'

32 minutes ago, JPL said:

What cereal did they want again? Coco-pops? Frosties? Rice Krispies? Oh fuck it, I'll get them Cornflakes. My brain hurts.

Not really a meaningful analogy, all of those products have very distinctive names.

If there there was a Rice Krispies One X and Coco-Pops were named Rice Krispies Series X I can guarantee you there would be lots of children up and down the country upset because their milk didn't turning chocolatey.

• Upvote 4